Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 10:14:10 AM EDT
Just wondering how many miles these rifles have in them...How many rounds until things get too loose?...Just wondering
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Not yet, but I'm having a go at it.

I think I've got about 4300 rounds through my 1 st AR so far. Not a hitch, couple of FTfeed but that was dented ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two prebans - Colt HBAR, and PWA Carbine. I have fired at least 5000 rounds through each. I have had to replace the buffer (bumper busted) and extractor (weak spring?) on the PWA, but the Colt is going strong. Both have developed play between the upper and lower receivers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard stories of cast receivers crumbling around 20-30,000 rounds.  This is one reason I sold my EA and got a forged SGW.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Bushy lower / DPMS upper that has ate around 6,000 rnds.

Thats not even a drop in the bucket, the thing is still new!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Between casual shooting, CQB competition and classes, my favorite AR has close to 17,000 rounds through it over the course of about 4 years. And it is still shooting sub-moa groups out to 300 yards. It may shoot as well even further, but thats as far as I have had the chance to really test it. Its a Bushmaster with a M4 chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You will be hard press to wear out an AR.  although some parts do need replacement after awhile, just like a car.

stock following items
extra firing pin
extra spring kit
extra bolt or at least an extra extractor and spring.

These are parts you might have to worry about after about 10,000 rounds. other then that, your AR will last as long as you are standing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have over 5000 rnds thru mine in 2 years and replaced only the extractor and x spring.
Oh ya. I had to replace the bullets in the magazine many times. Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hahahaha, the rounds in my mags always need to be replaced! Hahahaha!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have replaced extractor springs. I have replaced POS cheap-ass fire control groups where I tried to save some money. The extractor springs I can accept as normal wear. The trigger groups I blame myself. I have no idea on round count but I have fired more ammo in the last several years then I would care to load into a truck at one sitting.

Bob

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#10]
In my younger days (read that as more inclined to do foolish things) I did wear out the Colt SP1 that I'd bought for my 18th birthday.

Interesting facts.
Those now old 100rd metal drums for ARs do work.

You can melt an original Colt gas tube

ARs will still shoot well enough to plink with even though they've had about 10" worth of rifling eroded away.

Handguards do melt.

Lighting Links are illegal (but damn did it ever run like a scalded ape)

Lower receivers will crack.

yeah there wasn't too much left of that rifle when I got rid of it in 1987 or 1988.  (I bought it in 1985) it saw a lot of rounds in a very short period of time.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Phil-In-Seattle wrote:

"(but damn did it ever run like a scalded ape)"

That is the funniest thing I have ever read.....he he he he he!!

I used to think I was gonna keep track of my bbl. life by tracking rounds through it.  That lasted about 1,000 rounds or so before I got bored (or lazy if you prefer) and gave up on that idea.  Neither of my AR's have had a problem yet.  Many thousands rounds later and I shoot at least twice a week!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Both have developed play between the upper and lower receivers.
View Quote

SOF1,

What is actually wearing to cause the play increase?  Take-down holes in upper or lower or both wearing ?   Whould lube help to prevent this ?

Signed,
Paranoid
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]
i would advise you to NOT BUY an AR!!
you'll just end up replacing the bullets every week [:(] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What I told my wife is after a 1000 rounds, it's worn out and I need a new one.
To bad she's not that stupid. [noclue]
-Steve
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hahahaha, the rounds in my mags always need to be replaced! Hahahaha!
View Quote

That was so stupid, it was almost funny again - lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Seriously you guys. You must have experienced this. Its definitely the weak point of the AR.
The rounds in the mags constantly need replacing.
i HAVE TRIED ALL KINDS OF AMMO AND THE PROBLEM PERSISTS!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
You notice it the most at ranges that rent FA guns. You get some yuppie in there, and they blast for 2 or 3 seconds straight, stitching the shit out of the back drop, 2 hitting the target as they sweep it. Then, *CLICK*
They look at it (finger still pressing the trigger), then at the range master standing behind them and say (usually sweeping him with the muzzle), "It's broken."
They say, "Yep, but I can fix it for 30 more dollars."
The reality of FA is a harsh one. [uzi]
-Steve
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember some SF guy I ran into on the base saying the M16s (standard A2's) are good for 25,000 rounds. Anything after that and they need to be replaced. But they might just get a good rebuild and sent away to the National Guard or sold to foreign countries.

Tropic
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#19]
My buddy and I wore out our welcome at the range this past Sunday morning, that does count?  We where both rapid firing and doing quick mag changes and a couple of guys got Pissed off.  We decided to let the rifles cool and talked to the guys and then let them have a turn on my M4rgy w/ Aimpoint and they agreed that they are fun to shoot, maybe a new convert?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#20]
G35, I don't know what the problem is, I can see no visable signs of wear. It's not like they wobble a lot, just a noticable amount of play.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought my first AR (SP1) (SN 14xxx) in '69, and put over 15,000 rounds through it in the next 20 years.
Replacements:
Two trigger groups
One barrel

Guess I like Ar's - have had 6, and still have that old SP1.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't mean to hijack the thread or sound disrespectful, but is this even a relevant question with respect to AR's?

What I mean is, unlike any other rifle system, EVERYTHING on an AR-15 is replacable.  You can even look at the lower receiver as replacable, if you get a new one and transfer all the parts.  So in a way its impossible to ever really wear one out.

I hope I wear the barrels out of all my AR's, because it means I'll get to shoot them a lot, which is the real joy of owning one.  And when a barrel goes, I'll just call my favorite mail order place, and whip out the plastic.

Just another reason to love the AR-15!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#23]
AR-15's at 1,000 rds are a safety hazard and need to be replaced immediately. Send your rifle to me now, before someone gets hurt.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've experienced the same ammo problems as all of you just described. It seems that the problem occurs mainly in my AR, but not that much in my other rifles. I wonder why...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I "thought" I may have worn the bbl out on my 20"dpms nonchrome lined rifle.It went from shooting 1" 5rnd groups to about 3-4"at 100yrds.A friend of mine who shoots a lot of highpower matches asked me if I had ever tried a really agressive copper cleaner.Up to then I had only used clp and sometimes shooters choice in the bore (after almost 4000 rnds).Well after a through cleaning with shooters choice copper remover it is back to 1"@100yrds.I have replace the extractor spring in this rifle and the firing pin retaining pin.And the last time I detail cleaned it I noticed the recoil spring is about 2" shorter than a new one but it still works fine,altough may just replace on a maintaince basis.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't mean to hijack the thread or sound disrespectful, but is this even a relevant question with respect to AR's?

What I mean is, unlike any other rifle system, EVERYTHING on an AR-15 is replacable.  You can even look at the lower receiver as replacable, if you get a new one and transfer all the parts.  So in a way its impossible to ever really wear one out.

I hope I wear the barrels out of all my AR's, because it means I'll get to shoot them a lot, which is the real joy of owning one.  And when a barrel goes, I'll just call my favorite mail order place, and whip out the plastic.

View Quote

I think the purpose of asking these types of questions is -

1) What if, tomorrow, there is a federal or local law passed that prevents you from purchasing or acquiring any replacements parts for that damn evil rifle.

2) In a SHTF situation, there is no society (lawfulness) conducive to purchasing replacements parts.

Could happen IMHO.  If you own firearms, stock up on spare parts to support that mechanic beast.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#27]
G35.. i agree good question.. what parts over a rough life should one expect to replace.. i'm new and would really like to have all the backup so i don't have murphy's law screwing up a day on a lease.

What else has anyone broken on their AR through use or abuse?

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a preban bush HBAR carbine same barrel put 30,000+ in the last 10 years 6000 throught the post ban havent replaced anything yet,look at some of the 30 yr old M16s the israelis are using proof that receivers last a long time im sure other parts were replaced,but that says alot for the uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

[blue]What I mean is, unlike any other rifle system, EVERYTHING on an AR-15 is replacable.  You can even look at the lower receiver as replacable, if you get a new one and transfer all the parts.  So in a way its impossible to ever really wear one out.[/blue]

View Quote

Sounds like the lumberjack who was asked about his favorite axe and answered; "Yep, even though its had 2 new heads & 4 new handles its still my favorite axe".
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#30]
A friend of mine's DPMS, 20" A2 profile, non chrome lined barrel was shot out after 10,000 rounds.  Around 9,000 rounds one of the lugs from the bolt broke off.  A Bushmaster bolt was used to replace the broken bolt.  1000 rounds later the guns groups started to open up noticeable at 100 yards.  After an aggressive cleaning session with copper solvent the situation did not improve.  The rifle was grouping between 1"-2" from a rest at 25 yards not including fliers.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#31]
As an LE Armorer I have only had to replace the following:
1. Gas rings. Lots of gass rings.
2. Extractor springs
3. Extractors
4. Bolts (2 in the last 3 years. All were non-Colt).
5. Extractor retaining pins. Our Narcs must have gotten a bad batch because 2 out of their 6 M4's have broken within about 2 years from purchas.

Colt recommends the following as parts to have on hand to LE Armorers.
(1) Buffer Retainer & Spring
(1) Extractor Pin
(1) Cam Pin
(1) Firing Pin
(1) Disconnector
(1) Firing Pin Retaining Pin
(2) Disconnector Spring
(4) Gas Ring Sets/Three Rings Per Set
(1) Ejector
(1) Hammer Spring
(1) Ejector Spring
(2) Hammer/Trigger Pin
(1) Ejector Pin
(2) Push Pin Detent & Spring
(1) Extractor
(1) Selector detent & Spring
(2) Extractor Spring
(1) Trigger Spring
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Bushmaster has kits.
[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/Images/alow.gif[/img]
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/alowkit.asp[/url]

For the less paranoid ---->

[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/Images/afield.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/afield.asp[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top