Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:58:50 AM EDT
Are buttstock mag pouches worth the money? do they add to much weight or do they blance out the rifle. if so what is a good type to get or what other ways are they to carry extra mag(s)?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never liked buttstock bags.  They add too much weight and the straps tend to get in my way when I try to get a good cheek weld.  I just carry them in an old USGI mag pouch on my belt if I need extras.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]
being a civie i carry mine in my back pockets.  i can get one in each back pocket and one in my left front.  that's 120 rounds.  any any more and i use a y harness.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If the bullets are the balls of a weapon, a mag pouch is definitely the panties.

Depends on your needs.  Are you going to be walking around town with your AR?  Are you at the range?  Do you need something to quickly grab in the middle of the night?  There are all kinds of different implementations you can buy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The rifle is used in a patrol car. it gets taken out of the squad car the end of the shift. the duty bag holds five thirty rounders but i am looking for something to hold just a extra mag while it is out of the car.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a cinch:

[image]http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/accessories_images/Polymer_Coupler.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#6]
i don't like the mag pouch on the gun but since you are LE i think you have enough crap on your belt.  it may be the best way to go.  

or if you have about 4" to spare get a single mag pouch from Eagle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Whats the word on the Redi Mags guys, I was thinking of getting one?

Fritze Out
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
The mag pouch mounted to the stock does take some getting used to.  However, the best part of that settup is that in the worst cse, you've got an extra backup mag all the time.  If you mounted a 20 rndr. the weight i and bulk is no as bad, you'll get used to it.  That's how I'd go for a get up and go gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the Redi-Mag system to Mag Cinch but it does take up a bit more space.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're a cheap bastard, use some duct-tape and tape two mags together upside down.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whats the word on the Redi Mags guys, I was thinking of getting one?

Fritze Out
View Quote

I wanted one for some time...Be careful what you ask for you just may get it...I did..It now resides in the junk box. I went back to the 7 dollar redi-mag on ALL rifles...I really LIKE the redi mags....

Its well made, fits well and attaches well. The thing I didnt like about it most is....unless you use paracord loops on the mags, and then paracord them to each other AND the rifle, when you change mags, you dump one mag on the ground, something I just dont want to do.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#12]
you can also tape the two mags together using a 1x4 block as a spacer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a new A2 style stock that holds a 30 rounder in it, attached from the bottom.  I can't recall the name but it was reviewed in GW4LE a month or two ago.

Alex
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.theglassflamingo.com/clothing/images/purse-1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#15]
AR/AUG Magazine Pouch for your belt from The Wilderness.  They work great.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#16]
imonkeyman,

The mag cinch is by far the cheapest and easiest way to go.  The RediMag is nice, but is about $90-100 and is mounted to the weapon.  I know some departments will not allow any weapon mods, so I'm not sure if that is an issue.  I would NOT tape two together.  If you go prone you are going to mangle your feedlip in a short time.  The Magpouch on the stock always seemed cheesy to me, and most I've seen have flopped around, which would be a no go.

My department is looking at something similar to the MagCinch, we will see what happens.  I have a take home car, but I draw my AR a few times a week on calls.  I usually grab an extra mag and chuck it in my pocket if it seems like I'll need it (if theres time).  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I have enough RediMags to outfit all 3 of my AR15s but currently only one of my AR15s has it's RediMag installed.

Some people feel it's clunky and burdensome but I really like the things.   I like the fact that the redimag doesn't care whether I am using a 5, 10, 20, 30, or even 40 round magazine.    Plus, I can refresh the Redimag at any time with magazines from a GI 3 mag pouch.   Something that drives me nuts about the mag cinches is that suddenly your 3 mag pouches become 2 mag pouches, or they get picky if you try to use something other than 30 or 20 round mags.

The only thing I don't really like about the Redimag, it's tolerances are a little more loose than the magazine well itself so with metal magazines you'll get a little bit of a "slapping" sound from the spare magazine that is in the Redimag.   Noise disipline goes out the window if a person isn't careful.

Interestingly, I have heard reports that Redimags were seeing some use in Iraq recently.   Can't help but wonder if they are true, it was on an after action report that can be found here...

[url]http://www.sftt.org/article06102003a.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I did not care for the redi mag, the weight and balance did not work for me. I do like the buttstock carrier made by Tactical Taylor. I looked at a couple other ones, and found them lacking. This one has no extra straps to get in the way. have a look

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/catalog/mags.htm
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]
They have a nice pouch in this pic too:

[img]http://www.networkdweebs.com/barbiem4.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#20]
The RASE buttstock has a built-in compartment for a spare 30-round mag.  Or you can use cut strips of innertube to secure a mag to the forestock.  

The practice of securing two magizines together has to be looked at logically.  First, if you drop the mag, you've just dropped your spare too.  Second, it makes it more difficult to perform malfucntion clearances.  Third, if Mr. Badguy happens to shoot you in the magazine, he has just trashed your spare mag too (Murphy is alive and well).  Also, that massive conglomeration of 60 rounds is heavy and bulky.  Some of the more petite shooters have trouble manipulating the beast.  It may look "high speed" and may work well in matches, but that ain't real life.  Think before using something just because some SpecOps guy did it on TV.  Last time I checked, most people out there aren't SpecOps!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Lumpy and Posterboy thanks alot for making me laugh through all the serious parts of this thread!  I'm still laughing from the Flamingos and the thought of a serious cop carrying around that purse for spare mags as it would totally negate the intimidation factor of his AR15...Might save his life if the purp saw it though, the LOL or ROFL he engaged in would definitely get him noticed/ruin his accuracy!  I'd love to see it in a comedy skit!  Those being serious, please excuse this ramble!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, I'll be serious

Israeli spring steel dual mag clamps with lots of 100mph tape when I want the gun loaded heavy

Blade-Tech for low profile:
[img]http://shop.blade-tech.com/prodimg/mgp_ar15_sm.jpg[/img]

My Second Chance assault-shell body armor carrier when loaded for bear.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Think before using something just because some SpecOps guy did it on TV.  Last time I checked, most people out there aren't SpecOps!
View Quote

Going on 5 years of using the Redimag system through casual shooting and match shooting.   It's an easy enough thing to get used to and become familiar with, atleast for me.   The rifle that currently has the Redimag is my home defense carbine, it keeps a spare mag with it at all times in the event that I don't have time to wake up and put on a pair of pants(much less underwear) to be fortunate enough to store a spare magazine in a pocket.    But then, if I have to use said carbine it's my hope I don't need a 2nd magazine muchless 1 or 2 shots from the primary magazine.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks.    Even with my 14.5in Bushmaster weighted down with a spare 30 round magazine, red dot sight, and Surefire 500A I still consider it "light weight".  Atleast compared to the 48+inch overall length 15 pound unloaded weight accurized AR15 I routinely use for varminting.

Others don't want anything heavier than a stripped down 16inch SP1 carbine because that's what they are used to.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Just get a beta C mag.  Who could ask for anything more?  B^)
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just get a beta C mag.  Who could ask for anything more?  B^)
View Quote

Ummm....... reliablity?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#26]
#1 Best way to carry mags: Load Bearing Vest

#2 Best way to carry mags: USGI Mag puches on belt

#3 Best way to carry mags: Subload on thigh

#4 Best way to carry mags: Back pocket

...The Mag Cinch, Redi Mag, duct tape, etc. are way down on the list.  In your situation Id go for the back pocket method.  Dont knock it till you try it because it really works well.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#27]
imonkeyman is a LEO, that's right! Shit, beta-c mag that badboy! Will your department supply funds for it? They are cheap enough for LE use. I suppose your department will have to approve them for use then, huh? What are they, like $250 for you guys? Pave the way man, Lewis and Clark that request to the top brass!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Beta C and while I think it is an awesome piece of hardware (one of my favorite accessories), I don't believe it would fill the bill except for a SHTF type situation (in that type of situation it has be no equal in my opinion) Admittedly I have only put about 300 rounds through it(without a hiccup)but it makes the rifle a little cumbersome and heavy to carry/store. Also you basically have all of your eggs in one basket(it could get damaged as the feed tower is plastic and a hundred rounds is a lot of weight to hang under there). As long as you were in the use mode it would work great (also it would make a great backup to have in case the situation needed major fire power). For an everyday, real world situation I would opt for some USGI 30 rounders and an ammo pouch (durabilty, versatility and slim, lightweight package).
Just my 2 cents worth.
                     Mantra
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Ah, but the [b]BEST[/b] way is in a second, third or fourth AR! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Personally, I find mag-cinched magazines akward and off balanced.

It just adds a pound and a half to your rifle and makes it hard to sling.

Buttstock pouches may be better, certainly easier to sling that way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
#1 Best way to carry mags: Load Bearing Vest

#2 Best way to carry mags: USGI Mag puches on belt

#3 Best way to carry mags: Subload on thigh

#4 Best way to carry mags: Back pocket

...The Mag Cinch, Redi Mag, duct tape, etc. are way down on the list.  In your situation Id go for the back pocket method.  Dont knock it till you try it because it really works well.

View Quote

Agreed...[:)]  

I would say of the coupling choices the Mag cinch is the way to go.  Or the mil. spec couplers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interestingly, I have heard reports that Redimags were seeing some use in Iraq recently.   Can't help but wonder if they are true, it was on an after action report that can be found here...

[url]http://www.sftt.org/article06102003a.html[/url]
View Quote

I can confirm that story with 100% certainty. I was watching CNN allow a few 101st Airborne soldiers to say hello to moms at home etc...one of them says clear as day:
"first I'd like to thank Redi-Mag, the absolute best accessory for the M4 Carbine!, and Oakley Sunglasses"
He was wearing 2 pairs of Oakleys with the Redi-Mag on the rifle in the foreground.

$100 says he was trying to duplicate the SEAL from Somalia who got an advertising deal for a knife that saved his life from a bullet...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I personally use an M18 Claymore Mine Bag for schlupping mags around the range.  I can sling it for a trip to the 400 yd line, snaps closed and it carries muy mags!

[img]http://www.thevietnam-database.co.uk/USarmy/Claymore.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#34]
The redi-mag adds weight, adds bulk, and it unbalance the weapon.  Get a mag cinch and a chest pouch.  use the cinched mags, then go to the mags in the pouch, at least you will not get stuck with a metal device on the side of your M4.  for range and casual shooting, the redi-mag is fine, but as soon as you get into a long shooting session, such as a carbine class, you will wish the redi-mag had a quick release so you can ditch the SOB.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#35]
PosterBoy, isn't it kindof difficult to trip the bolt release with your spare mag sticking up like that?

Quoted:
Get a cinch:

[image]http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/accessories_images/Polymer_Coupler.jpg[/image]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
PosterBoy, isn't it kindof difficult to trip the bolt release with your spare mag sticking up like that?

Quoted:
Get a cinch:

View Quote
View Quote

It looks like his coupler seats the mags exactly like my Mag-Cinch. When shooting right-handed, my thumb can reach the bolt release very easily with the mag in the way, by just rotating the rifle 90 degrees left.
Shooting left-handed requires a slight reach of the trigger finger to release the bolt...again it is not in the way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Taping one up/one down exposes the downward facing mag to dirt (if you need to go prone) or damaged feedlips.  If you are going to put two mags together, both should point up.

A 3/8" or 1/2" spacer (plywood, plastic or whatever) between the mags, and binding them together (I have used large tywraps).

My preferred mag pouch:

[url]http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=MP30[/url]

Holds 6, 3 each side, velcro on pocket tabs.  Price is right.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I like the butstock pouch. As a police officer sometimes your called at home for emergency back up and sometimes you don't have time to do anything more than grab your vest and gun belt. If you grab your rifle at least you have one spare reload on it. It does not hurt me with my cheek weld and I can still shoot it off my left shoulder when need be.
PAT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#39]
for LEO work, deploying from a squad is different than getting out of the car at the range.

the important thing is to have another mag with you for the hundred reasons listed above, malfunction, mag failure, reload, etc.

i hate putting mags in back posket...it doesn't come out fast against a duty belt.  then i tried the USGI 3 mag case ($2 off ebay, used) and enough condura belt type stuff to make a fast "throw over your shoulder thing".

that was kinda goofy, though.  I now have a mag cinch, so when I deploy the rifle is instantly loaded with 60 rounds.  I also take a 6 mag MOLLE pouch and throw that over my shoulder.  That seems to be enough ammo and pretty quick to deploy with.

These are just my opinoins and I'm still trying stuff.  I think the best deal would be to have level 3a armor with mags pouches on the carrier, but that is about $1k from now.

I guy at work ises a Redi-mag with no complains about "balance".  If you're LEO and shooting people with an AR...it won't remind you of ballet lessons!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#40]
The Eagle Industries SAS thigh unit, which holds two mags is nice, fairly comfortable while sitting, but not cheap.  It's a natural reach for an extra mag though.  In your situation though, a buttstock pouch, if they work out ok, would be a logical approach, because it's with the gun all the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top