Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:29:47 AM EDT
Hello, first of many posts to come I'm sure.

I am getting ready to buy my first AR-15.

I am leaning strongly towards the Base model A2 Rock River Arms with a 20" barrel.

I am going to use it for fun target shooting, no competition yet.

Thanks for any input and suggestions on my first AR-15.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the community. I recently purchased a Colt A2 with a 20" barrel and wouldn't trade it for the world. The only thing I need now is a nice scope. Hope you have as much fun when you get yours.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My 1st was a RRA 24" Varmint.  my second was a Colt 16" carbine.  haven't shot them yet because i got them this weekend.  The 2 stage trigger on the RRA is really nice.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey welcome to the board[wave] Don't forget to stop by your HomeTown Forum and say Hey . The Maryland crew have alot of shoots and get together's .I'm sure they would enjoy having you attend them. Good luck with your new weapon.

SaFe ShOoTiNg

Jerry [):)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am leaning strongly towards the Base model A2 Rock River Arms with a 20" barrel.
View Quote

[img]rockriverarms.com/images/a2standard.gif[/img]
This is a good "base" model, missing only a chrome-lined barrel. And I would suggest to skip on the muzzle brake option.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]
M John,
Sounds like a good rifle - but you might find it a bit heavy if you like to shoot offhand.  The options for lightening are to go with a M4 carbine barrel instead - or ship the upper to Kurt's Kustom and he'll shave the barrel under the handguards to USGI specs and you'll save a full pound of weight (I've had this done).

Seeing as your from Maryland have you stopped by to check out the sites specifically for Maryland AR-15 Shooters?

There is my own Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site ([url]http://www.MD-AR15.com[/url]) and of course the Maryland/Delaware forum in the Hometown section of this site. (see upper right of the screen).

After buying your rifle if you want to see how the 'shaved' barrel feels & handles you can try mine out.

Shoot Straight,
Forest
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Forest get an M4 barrel , my first upper was standard 20" RRA and within two months I was ordering the M4 barrel because when I would crouch in front of my living room window the neighbors could still see it from the sight up !   HA ! I know it seems everyone is pushing the M4 but it is cool and accuracy wont suffer that much unless your shooting more than 100 yards.But whatever you get its all a learning curve . You will still enjoy it .  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
M John,
Sounds like a good rifle - but you might find it a bit heavy if you like to shoot offhand.  
View Quote

Huh? Most of the competition guns are 10-11 lbs, and work just fine offhand.
I realize he said casual shooting, and not competition, but the extra weight of the HBAR will help stabilize the rifle offhand. My .02.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing wrong with the HBAR, a M4 looks horrible without the carbine stock, and the shorter sight radius wouldn't help him any.

You picked out a fine rifle, you should be very happy with it!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello,

Welcome and Rock River is awesome.  When you get it I know you will love it. I have the RRA Elite LE Tactical CAR A4.

Happy Shooting....

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey there, and welcome. I don't have a RRA rifle. Just Colts, Bushys, and Armalites. But I've only heard good things about the RRA rifles. Keep an eye out for deals on Bushys and Armalites too cause they can be had. ARs come in many different sizes and configurations. You're gonna love whatever you get and it just gets in you like a virus. A good virus.  Here's the AR collection:

[img]http://fototime.com/{E796878A-EA0B-4F3D-A83E-CA3F1FCD3BDB}/picture.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
[beer] Welcome to the site!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top