Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2003 3:59:11 PM EDT
Hello all,

I wish I had found this forum sooner - it's amazing!  Hope you all can help.  My friends and I were discussing the AWB Sunset, and something interesting arose.  I know that LEO marked mags will then (or should be) legal for civilian use, but what about certain marked LEO weapons?  I would love to own a current production LEO Colt 9mm AR, and am not willing to pay $1800-$2000 to get a preban version.  Will semi-auto weapons of this nature be available to civilians?  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Once the law is gone, you ought to be able to buy them.  You can get old pre-ban AR's marked "Goverment Use" on them, so the designation shouldn't mean anything except that you ought to get a good deal considering the LE prices.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Its sorta split on that one.  I have talked with basically all my LE friends (one is a judge) and they say they probably won't be available to civilians.  That goes for a firearm or mag.  Basically one referred to the ownership of a LE badge, it has the chance of being abused.  Another has said that anything marked LEO will stay LEO.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The markings are statutory mandates which allow field identification of statutorily restriced items. If the restricting statute sunsets, or is voided by the courts, the markings are superfluous since they are no longer restricted items.

IF the AWB sunsets, BATFE will be forced to issue a "clarifying" rule after being flooded with requests for interpretaion of this very issue. Who knows which way they will go though...

Regardless, if the ban sunsets, even for 15 minutes, there will be enough manufacturers that register enough receivers in that 15 minutes to make plenty of non-LEO marked "un-banned" firearms for a long, long time. I wouldn't be surprised if it only took days to get them to market in the same price range as current build "post ban" guns.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Who knows?

The whole AWB is one giant cluster fuck of gray areas.  I would tend to guess that anything with a LEO stamp would remain LEO.  You will have to buy all new shit when the BAN expires.

I doubt It will actually be addressed by anyone in authority, and it will continue to be a gray area.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course this thread is the wishful thinking of those who actualy belive in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the idea that our current crop of political hacks will ever let the AWB sunset.

A couple of month before the sunset the news media will pick up the story and scream it to the high heavens. republican law makers will stick their fingers in the wind, then sell us all out once again in the intrest of keeping the maximum amount of seats.

Then the Dems will prompty make it into a huge election issue even after they get what they want, which will be for the AWB to be permenant, and the socker moms will vote for Kerry because he's going to keep those awful black rifles from 44 minutes from being used in our schools.

As for the Leo mags, the point is pretty much moot if there's no sunset.

Sometimes we spend so much time here in the hot house of the gun community, that it distorts our judgment as to what is politicaly possible and what is not.

Every now and then we have to stick our heads outside and take a good look at what the rest of the country will actualy vote for.

The AWB sunset is a fantasy (a nice fantasy I'll grant you, but a fantasy none the less.)
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AWB sunset is a fantasy (a nice fantasy I'll grant you, but a fantasy none the less.)
View Quote

The AWB has to sunset. That is how the law was written.Period. Whether an alternative is enacted is still a matter of speculation, but the current law will "sunset".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top