Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/20/2003 4:53:00 AM EDT
I am thinking about adding a Bushmaster Varminter Rifle to my AR collection. I have a RRA NM and a Colt Sporter. Can you owners of the Bushmaster tell me how you like it and do you think it's any more accurate than the RRA NM?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:10:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 5:11:20 AM EDT by 00_buckshot]
Go to [url]www.gunblast.com[/url] and read the review about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:31:07 AM EDT
I like them a lot. ¼ inch groupings are easily achieved with this rifle. I own three of them, 2 regular Varminters and 1 A2/DCM, custom built by Bushmaster. [img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:48:27 AM EDT
You can't go wrong here. Here is the direct link to the review [url]http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm[/url] This rifle has been very accurate and reliable for me. I consider it one of my better investments!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:04:11 AM EDT
OK, I'm convinced. I'm getting one!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 6:54:07 PM EDT by sproc]
Are they available with chrome-lined barrels? (No need to get into an argument about whether or not this would affect accuracy. That's been hashed and re-hashed in many other threads [:)]) Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 8:56:57 PM EDT by FMJunkie]
Originally Posted By sproc: Are they available with chrome-lined barrels? (No need to get into an argument about whether or not this would affect accuracy. That's been hashed and re-hashed in many other threads [:)]) Thanks
View Quote
No, but you could get a V-Match with a few upgrades that would essentially be what you are after. The Varminter is also available with a stainless steel barrel. You can see it on their website.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:44:39 PM EDT
No Chrome Barrels, but they do make a stainless. The rifle is awesome - get one, you won't be disappointed. [img]http://www.fototime.com/5B90BCD108AB2CB/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:36:39 AM EDT
Did chrome-lined barrels used to be an option? The reason I ask is that I saw an ad for a NIB Bushmaster Varminter with a 4140 chrome moly steel barrel that is also chrome-lined. New production barrels are 4150 chome moly steel and not chrome-lined. I got the impression that VMatch barrels and their FF handguards were inferior to the Varminters, which use the DCM barrels. While I've often heard of Varminters getting 1/4" groups, the best I've heard for V-Match rifles is 1/2" - 3/4".
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:24:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sproc: Did chrome-lined barrels used to be an option? The reason I ask is that I saw an ad for a NIB Bushmaster Varminter with a 4140 chrome moly steel barrel that is also chrome-lined. New production barrels are 4150 chome moly steel and not chrome-lined. I got the impression that VMatch barrels and their FF handguards were inferior to the Varminters, which use the DCM barrels. While I've often heard of Varminters getting 1/4" groups, the best I've heard for V-Match rifles is 1/2" - 3/4".
View Quote
Yes, an upgraded V-Match (trigger, longer barrel, etc.) is going to be somewhat 'less' of an accuracy performer than a Varminter. But, and I mean no offense by this, most people are not good enough to consistently realize the difference between .25 and .5 or even .7 inch groups. So, it all seems to become a question of cost vs. need. I am sure you could order a Varminter and a chrome replacement barrel (probably not available in .223 chamber, only 5.56) from Bushmaster and have them install for you but, then you would basically have a V-Match with a two-stage trigger. You might be better off from a cost perspective just getting a 24" V-Match with the comp trigger. If you don't mind sharing, what are your goals for the rifle? What will you use it for and what do you realistically expect out of it? This might help in talking the trade-offs out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:43:24 AM EDT
I bought a Varminter a couple of months back. Haven't fired it yet. When I mounted the scope I noticed the scope/handguard/barrel did'nt exactly line up. To make a long story short, I used a 3' metal rule to check the barrel alignment against the scope rail. The barrel was off by 1/8" to the left as I recall. In addition the gas block was slightly cocked to one side. This was on a new, out of the box Varminter with 24" fluted barrel. I called Bushmaster, got a return label, sent the upper back postage paid by Bushmaster both ways, two week turnaround. I recieved a new "indexed" barreled upper. All is fine now!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:45:44 AM EDT
I'd be using it for prairie dogs and at the range (non-competitive). I'm in the camp that believes that chrome lining doesn't affect accuracy noticeable but does make cleaning easier and the barrel last longer. Honestly, I'll probably just get whichever is cheaper or most convenient. Heck, I might even get an RRA Varminter if the price is right. BTW, I got a reply for the guy selling the Varminter with the chrome-lined barrel: he was mistaken.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:04:43 PM EDT
Pinebaron, I'm surprised I have not run across your thread before now. I am in EXACTLY the same situation you are. I just cannont decide. I've contacted bushmaster a variety of times about a varminter with a nat. match 24" chrome lined barrel. There are a few upgrades with the varminter. A nice grip, vented FF handguard, and two stage trigger. what i've found is that if you want all of these options it's probably more economical to go with the varminter with a switched barrel, IF YOU WANT CHROME!!. Here is where I am stuck cold. I cannot decide. I of course would love a 1/4" grouping gun, BUT is it worth it for a less durable and more tempremental barrel?? And also, is the chrome lined THAT much less accurate. Everyday it seems I lean the other way and it's really hard to decide. Not to mention, the price of the 24" match barrel is much lower than the Varminter barrel (meaning you will get the difference off if you order the chrome lined barrel). That's my look on things and the reason I still cannot decide. That's just been my outlook on the situation, and also the reason I still don't have mine ordered. It's so hard to choose between durability and accuracy... Which is almost what it boils down to. I hope this helps your choice, as I STILL make mine. Let me know if you find out anything interesting that changes your mind. Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:59:42 AM EDT
Just to help in your decision, I HATED mine. Love Bushmaster. They earned the slot as my favorite AR-15 manufacturer. I love what they turned mine into. But, I absolutely hated the Varminter. You'll buy one anyway (because you've been "bitten"), and you can always turn it anything you want to make it into. If you're going the mil dot scope route, and you can entertain the notion of Bushnell Elite 4200, email me, I'll cut you a real fair deal. The optics are remarkable (I think) for the money. I just don't have anything to use it on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:12:05 AM EDT
The amount of abuse you would have to impose on a Varminter barrel to actually induce damage would be significant. I seriously doubt under normal use (semi to rapid fire) that you'll ever compromise the integrity of a Bushmaster Varminter barrel. My Varminter is scary accurate and extremely functional and easy to handle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:20:21 AM EDT
I've got the stainless model and it's a great gun. I find it really hard to believe that you're so concerned about having chrome lining in your varmint gun. I think if you polled the guys who have non-chrome-lined barrels, you'd be hard pressed to find many with reliabilty issues related to the barrel. I know I sure don't have any such issues with mine, and it's seriously a TACK DRIVER.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:21:24 AM EDT
I've got the stainless model and it's a great gun. I find it really hard to believe that you're so concerned about having chrome lining in your varmint gun. I think if you polled the guys who have non-chrome-lined barrels, you'd be hard pressed to find many with reliabilty issues related to the barrel. I know I sure don't have any such issues with mine, and it's seriously a TACK DRIVER. All of that being said, you could probably get a Rock River version that would shoot just as well for quite a bit less. That's what I would do if I were to do it over again... -catch
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:21:47 PM EDT
Senior Baron, I'll add my two cents, for what it is worth. I picked up a BM xm-15 last year. It is the 20 incher, with chrome barrel, not the varmint flavor. With factory ammo, it easily does 1/2 groups at 100 yards. With the Hornady A-Max, 52 grainers, and a little load tweeking, I have had many .25 inch, 3 shot groups. It is absolutely devistating on Prarie Dogs, well past 300 yards, with the A-Max bullet. What I have found is that it took an after market trigger to get below the 1/2" mark. The chrome lining does not appear to be a hinderance to accuracy. I think that the trigger, and good bench techniques far and away offset the issues of barrel lining and or length. I seem to shoot in the 3's very consistently with my handloads. I have to be very on, to get into the 2's, but the gun is always willing, when I am up to the task. Craig
Top Top