Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/18/2003 1:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 3:04:16 PM EDT by Ridge]
While watching the Gulf War II footage in my comfortable chair at home. I became very interested in the M16A4s that the Marine's were using. Specifically the Squad designated Marksman rifle (with RAS and ACOG). I thought these were pretty cool.

So in tribute to Gulf War II I present my M16A4gery.

First off. Non authentic parts.
1.I couldn't justify the cost of the RAS for the "Serious" work I do (Range and gopher hunting) so I compromised with the First Samco 4-rail M44 handguard for $105.00.
2. I had to have the ACOG, but again couldn't justify the TA31-F (that's the right one?) so I got the cheaper TA01. I think the crosshairs will benefit me for my intended purposes.
3.Of Course it's AR15 and not M-16 (guess I couldn't justify that cost either).
4.AAC vertical foregrip, much cheaper than the knights, looks the same and is a well made unit.

All-in-all I think it looks pretty good and it shoots great. All other parts are Bushmaster or RRA (barrel is gov profile 1/7 20"), built on my trusty old PWA preban receiver.

Now the pictures.

here's my template, the real one.

Here's my attempt.

For practical usage I'm seriously considering putting a 6-pos RRA collapsible stock on it.
What do you think? Or should I stick with the original?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:05:14 PM EDT
very sweet rifle
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:18:48 PM EDT
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:34:43 PM EDT
Keep the A2 stock...that's the look you were looking for...just build another rifle with a shorty stock...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:52:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BigIck: Keep the A2 stock...that's the look you were looking for.....
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:55:49 PM EDT
nice [:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:00:32 PM EDT
Good job, I plan on doing the same. Stick with the A2 stock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 2:12:05 PM EDT by Yojimbo]
Nice![8D] How do you like the ACOG?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:22:24 PM EDT
Good job! Looks good and I would leave the A2 stock. There is always other projects when it comes to AR's. Just don't shoot it like that guy or you may end up with an Acog in the eye. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:37:03 PM EDT
Thanks for the compliments. I'll keep the A2, definately want to keep the look. I really like the ACOG, the optics are excellent. I had a few concerns about it at first but they were quickly cleared up (concerning blurring of the reticle). For such a high dollar scope I think the finish could be a little better, but considering it's a combat scope it should be build like a tank and I can live with the cosmetics if they spent the money they saved on making it tougher. I really fell in love with it when I finally got to shoot it. I love the bazooka technique too! He must be forced to do this because of the long A2 stock, ACOG eye relief (looks like the scope could go back farther), and body armour. Maybe the Marines will put collapsible stocks on thier A4s, then I'll switch [:D]. If anyone has done a similar project I'll love to see pics of yours too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:55:32 PM EDT
very nice, i would keep the A2
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:15:06 PM EDT
Yep..definetely stick with A2 stock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:32:44 PM EDT
That is one SWEET Rifle you have there !!!!! I need one just like It [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:09:34 PM EDT
How does that handguard attach? Does it simply replace the original pieces in the standard manner, or does it require removal of the front sight group? If so (standard attachment), is there some provision to make it more secure than the regular hand guards?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:42:16 PM EDT
Man, that thing is no *NONSENSE*. Awsome job man! That is the EPITOME of kick ass high speed low drag NO CRAP 20 inch rifle! All it needs is a BUIS. NICE! One of my favorite rifles ever posted!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:53:50 PM EDT
Very sweeeet. How was the shot grouping at 100 yrds?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:01:35 PM EDT
GREAT JOB!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:03:46 PM EDT
Very sweet components configured in an original and practical rifle. One question, are ya gonna keep that A2 grip or throw on a hogue? Keep the buttstock, ditch the grip unless you like it. Some people's hands just fit that grip or they are used to it and don't need to change it. Acog's are the shiiiit!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:18:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rabid_Coyote: How does that handguard attach? Does it simply replace the original pieces in the standard manner, or does it require removal of the front sight group? If so (standard attachment), is there some provision to make it more secure than the regular hand guards?
View Quote
These handguards replace the originals in pretty much the same manner, but they are build to tighter tolerances and they have little slots that the points of the barrel nut fit into to eliminate rotational movement. These babies are on there very tight. Tight enough to experiment with putting an optic on there (but that was never my intention). They work GREAT for my purposes. I am impressed with them. They are also light wieght too, which really helps the rifle balance well.
Originally posted by Knife_Sniper: That is the EPITOME of kick ass high speed low drag NO CRAP 20 inch rifle! All it needs is a BUIS
View Quote
Thank you, I wanted to keep it simple and light as possible and as close to the USMC SDM as possible. I believe the USMC is not issued back-up sights and have the carry handles just in case. For me a BUIS would require me to move the ACOG too far forward which would make it very uncomfortable because of the eye relief. Plus that's another hundred or so bucks I've got to save up![:D]
Originally posted by killian: How was the shot grouping at 100 yrds?
View Quote
My first sight in was kind of rushed but I was really impressed. I was using Winchester Q3131, using my range bag as a rest, and at 100 yds it did ~2 inch 5 shot group (I won't see the true potential until I get to use some match grade ammo).
Originally posted by HighStrung1: One question, are ya gonna keep that A2 grip or throw on a hogue?
View Quote
The only reason I'm keeping the A2 grip is to keep the SDM Look. I don't mind the A2 at all, but I really like the Ergo and Hogue (it's tempting).
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:02:35 PM EDT
I notice you are using Knight's panels instead of the Samco. Did they fit without modification? Looks good!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:16:08 PM EDT
They fit on there just fine. They do not lock on, but a slight mod would fix that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:32:47 PM EDT
I'm a rookie to AR15 rifles so don't slame me too bad when I say this. I always thought the butt of a rifle was supposed to go on the shoulder, not above it (top pic). I would guess you could handle a long gun faster by having the butt above the shoulder. And with a low recoil rifle like a .223 you could get away with it. I sure woudn't try to shoot a 7MM mag that way. Can anyone give me any infor as to why he's holding the rifle that way?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:31:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ZX12R: I sure woudn't try to shoot a 7MM mag that way. Can anyone give me any infor as to why he's holding the rifle that way?
View Quote
Body armor and a Kevlar pot don't make for a very good cheek weld/eye relief/keep your pot out of your eyes, combination.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:00:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:27:41 PM EDT
Yet another sweet gun...I am at times overwhelmed by the stuff i see here. The ACE ARFX stock, sans rubber butt pad, will give the same length-of-pull (LOP) as the A1 stock, and look "cool" to boot. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:14:58 AM EDT
Whenever you get bored with that one, drop me a line. I'll let you know where to send it. [:D] Oh, don't worry, I'll cover the shipping. Kudos.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:46:53 AM EDT
Good job, man!! How much did you steal that for?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:21:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2003 7:22:06 AM EDT by Ridge]
Yes an A1 stock is a great suggestion, I would have done the A1 right away, but I had an A2 lying around so I just used it. I hate doing this but I'll break down the cost. A lot of these parts I took from other rifles or had already so I'll try to remember what I have into them. Barrel Assembly (direct from bushmaster)-$210.00 First/Samco handguards(from Lippy on this board,great guy)-$105.00 KAC panels (From BILLBO in the EE)-$40.00 AAC vertical foregrip (from AAC)-$30.00 RRA Upper (from Delton)-95.00 Bolt carrier from other rifle and had a new bolt lying around ~$105.00 Charging handle from other rifle ~$10.00 A2 stock,buffer and spring had it lying around~$50.00 ACOG from EE -$450.00 included mount [;)] Lower and all interals from a Preban I picked up a few years ago probably have about ~$450 into the lower. Total(I haven't done this yet so I might be shocked, it's not so bad when you buy a little at a time)-[b]$1545.00[/b] Hope my wife isn't reading this thread. [shock] [argue] [spank]
Top Top