Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/17/2003 10:35:54 PM EDT
Hey all, just started posting, just bought a new Bushmaster M4... http://www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun

I've only been out plinking a handful of times. Mostly with friends and our pistols. Two uf us bought rifles about 9 years ago, (A Colt AR15 sporter shorty, and an SKS, neither of them mine) and I've found that the absolute BEST plinking target I've ever shot at is...

a standard block of ice available at any grocery store.

Here's why:

1. They're the perfect size target.
2. They're WHITE against the dark dirt or greenery
3. They explode DRAMATICALLY when hit
4. You can shoot them and still get "Dramatic" explosions for up to a handful of shots, in other words, they aren't just good for one, but multiple hits!
5. They make absolutely no mess
6. They don't take any effort to make
7. They're CHEAP
8. Believe it or not, they take a LONG time to melt. The whole car ride up to the pit, out in the sun..

Someone may have already informed you good people of this. I just didn't see a recent post on it so I figured I'd share it. If anyone has NOT tried this, you won't be sorry you did!

We took a whole grocery cart & packed it to the top with these blocks. I think the total was $15.00 or so? Too good to be true!

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:50:31 PM EDT
Bowling Pins!! Nearly all bowling alleys will give you all you want for free. They can be hit an unlimited amount of times & still stay intact. They are instant feedback... Ever have one pin still standing at the bowling alley, get your revenge.... Prosise
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:59:35 PM EDT
Tannerite - not cheap, but worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:11:51 AM EDT
Stuffed animals from the fair. De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:20:03 AM EDT
What about clay pigeons? Those always seem to break up nicely..
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:30:07 AM EDT
Cats...cats are good...[:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:55:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ikor: Cats...cats are good...[:D]
View Quote
Oh shi|, IBTL! My concoction for a plinking target is to gather up all those old phone books that get piled up around the house. Open to the middle and then roll them up into a cylinder. Then use a bunch of Saran wrap to hold it in shape. Drop a rope down the center and knot the end and use that to attach the target to a stand. Haven't tried it yet, but it should like a decent, cheap, durable object. If someone tries it, let me know!!!! --LS
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:17:06 AM EDT
As mentioned above...bowling pins and clay pigeons are my favorite. Both are plentiful and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:03:59 AM EDT
I still have to go with steel plates or gongs. I find it satisfying to hear the "Tang" after the "Boom."
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:14:23 AM EDT
Paintballs! Hot glue 'em to paper and blast away. Especially effective at center of a bullseye. Of course you must be able to see them; 50 yards is plenty challenging (with a scope)-- 25 without...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:16:06 AM EDT
You forgot about the most dangerous of them all... The deadly milk jugs. Filled with water, or frozen will work too!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:50:29 AM EDT
Three liter soda bottles. Add three oz. of dry ice and about an equal amount of water. Let em' sit for couple of minutes and have at em'. Just don't wait too long cuz they'll blow on their own after about 8-10 minutes. Sounds like TNT when you hit them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:14:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 7:19:18 AM EDT by alkoe]
I went and picked up about 25 bowling pins (free) hearing great things about using them as targets. I was a bit disappointed when I killed my first one, it just fell over. When I went to look at it, it just had a little entry hole, and a barely visable bulge on the back. Man those things can take a hit over and over again! GREAT for re-use, not much for exploding effects. Frozen milk jugs are my favorite. With an 18 month old, I have plenty of those. Can only take about 2 solid hits, then it's pretty much useless, but it explodes nicely with minimal clean up. I like the phone book idea, I'll have to give that a try. Edited to add: ICE BOMBS!!! Sounds dangerous.... I like it!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:23:05 AM EDT
The dry ice thing can be dangerous. I have never done it, but now that I am not a minor anymore, it is bound to happen. Important, dry ice and water, be very careful. Temperature of water changes rate of conversion of dry ice into CO2 gas. Also, how much you crunch the dry ice up determines the surface area and thus the rate of conversion. Be very careful. You can look things like this up on the net. I want to string tie a 3 liter filled with dry ice to a big heavy rock and drop it off a bridge and then wait for the big cratering bubble.[;)] So free bowling pins at darn near any local alley? What makes them throw them away? I will have to ask about that. And make sure I have an empty trunk when I do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:55:28 AM EDT
no beer can is safe!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:56:16 AM EDT
Bowling pins are real good, stops 223, but 308 goes throught them. i drill a hole in the top and screw in a screw with a loop on the top and hang them from a target stand or whatever. this way when you hit them they dont fall down, plus the second shot is on a moving target since it will swing after being hit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:30:27 AM EDT
Any plastic bottle filled with water. Haven't tried them frozen yet, will have to!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:35:48 AM EDT
Buy a case of the cheapest can soda you can find. Leave it in the sun. Shake well. Stand back (way back) & fire. The results are very satisfying.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:59:12 PM EDT
Full milk jugs are neat, but only one shot. Never tried ice. Range master won't let us shoot bowling pins because of the ricochet problem. Clays are nice. Small target at 100 yards, Breaks nicely and then you can shoot the small pieces with a scoped 10/22. Price is right, too. $4 for 90 or so.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:10:05 PM EDT
If you really wont a fun target go to. http://www. skylightexplosives.com/she_exploding_targets.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:30:12 PM EDT
Gee, all these other targets sound like a lot of fun, but a lot of them sure require a lot of work, and for just one shot even. For anyone who hasn't tried just a plain block of ice, it's totally worth it! Again, cheap, multiple shots, exploding, safe, no cleanup.. :) Anthony
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:09:52 PM EDT
local market had cheap soda 5 12 packs for $10.00 Gotta start freezin some jugs that seems like a winner. Used to use AOL discs but too many shots went through the hole in the middle. That and they shatter, where I go in the desert BLM don't much care what you shoot as long as you police your mess. Clay pigeons are ok other targets need to go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:54:25 PM EDT
i shoot clay pigeons, they're only around $5 for over a hundred targets. if you decide to go the dry ice route, you only need a small amount of dry ice. i don't recommend it and have been told that it's dangerous...the warehouse i worked at had a huge dry ice bin and people made them all the time. very, very loud!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 11:05:25 PM EDT by ProfGAB101]
Originally Posted By longshot_va:
Originally Posted By ikor: Cats...cats are good...[:D]
View Quote
Oh shi[blue]|, IBTL! [/blue] [red] I second that...[/red] My concoction for a plinking target is to gather up all those old phone books that get piled up around the house. Open to the middle and then roll them up into a cylinder. Then use a bunch of Saran wrap to hold it in shape. Drop a rope down the center and knot the end and use that to attach the target to a stand. Haven't tried it yet, but it should like a decent, cheap, durable object. If someone tries it, let me know!!!! --LS
View Quote
LongShot! - You have sparked my memory! I used to do something with phonebooks a little different - but fun just the same. I take a pile of phone books until it is about 10 inches thick and wrap it with old duct tape to form a kind of cube. - I tape it up on 5 sides - but leave the back (bottom) open. At the time I used to print up (dot matrix days...) my own targets an clear tape them to the front (top). I used these for 100yrd targets for my 44mag shooting 240gr RNL or Semi wads. - After a box of the solids - switch to full power JHP or JSP loads. At that point with each hit it plumes a 20ft cloud of confeti! - Very fun. Note - the news print type paper used in phone books decomposes rapidly so this mess won't stay around. [size=4][purple]This is a must try once I get some .458 SOCOM loaded up!!![/purple][/size=4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:24:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AnthonyJ: Gee, all these other targets sound like a lot of fun, but a lot of them sure require a lot of work, and for just one shot even. For anyone who hasn't tried just a plain block of ice, it's totally worth it! Again, cheap, multiple shots, exploding, safe, no cleanup.. :) Anthony
View Quote
I think the Ice Lovers Society might have something to say about this abusive activity.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:41:05 PM EDT
I agree with ProfGAB101. If ya got the bucks Tannerite is the best.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:49:00 PM EDT
Ok, [size=4][red]IBTL[/size=4][/red] like the last target thread!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:54:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/3/2003 7:56:21 PM EDT by Arkansas_Rocketman]
Liberal democrats [sniper] (yes, the lower case "d" was on purpose) (edited to add) I Bang The Liberals
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:48:30 PM EDT
AOL CDs
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:59:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By criley: Range master won't let us shoot bowling pins because of the ricochet problem.
View Quote
I didn't realize that bowling pins caused ricochets... I did my first shooting at pins this past weekend, and every time I hit one, there was a HOLE, not just a mark where the bullet bounced off... this was pistols (9mm and 45ACP at 25 yards). What's the story here?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:09:11 AM EDT
I particularly liked the "AOL CD's" suggestion, and all the rest, but I will stick to my "guns" with my suggestion of ice blocks. The whole reason for my post was to suggest a great "plinking" target that was completely easy and cheap to buy, and simple to set up, and so much fun to shoot at! Next plinkage I will show up at, I'll pack my entire car with THREE things: My Bushmaster M4, A few hundred rounds, and as many blocks of ice I can buy at the local grocery store. Anthony
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:25:08 AM EDT
Anthony, we arent bashing your Idea, its great! But other people like to shoot diffrent things, they are just sharing their ideas, not tring to say any one is better or not.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:14:20 PM EDT
deer
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:51:25 PM EDT
I did the frozen 2liter bottles not too long ago. Did nice damage with my Bushmaster. We use to do the dry ice thing too. We'd wrap duct tape around the bottle & set a trash can on top of it. BLAMMO! It'd blow the trash can 10+ feet straight up into the air. I've shot bowling pins too. Microwaves, a small xerox machine, an empty fire extingusher..............
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 3:07:04 PM EDT
Havent tried it yet, but heard that regular potatoes from the store are great reactionary targets. ...for the dried Ice suckers, I used to have fun with those in a river I lived near, and yes they are loud and powerful (example: 2 liter soda bottle almost 1/2 filled with dried ice under a 55 GALLON Drum, no lie shot that freaking thing a good 10-12 feet in the air) - Ahhh the younger years ReaperVelle
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:52:33 PM EDT
Pick up a bag of charcoal briquets. I just lay a few out and tape some to the target, and they make a nice puff of black smoke-like dust when hit. Joe
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:09:38 PM EDT
Ok.I'll ask since everyone else seems to know.What is Tannerite?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:50:02 PM EDT
Rocks are my favorite plinking target, they're free and they're everywhere.The club I belong to has a 300+yrd shooting range with a hill side for a bullet-stop and its covered with rocks of all sizes shapes and forms.When you make a hit you can see a white cloud of dust.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:49:28 AM EDT
Balloons.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:19:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2003 7:20:39 AM EDT by jsy_1977]
Used to do the dry ice thing every Saturday morning when I worked @ a grocery store in high school. Drop and couple pieces in a 2-liter and throw it in the dumpster outside....You should of seen the guy who ran the jewelry store beside us run out the first couple of times! lol The blocks of ice sound cool. Anyone know of some good quality...but cheap steel plate targets to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:27:28 AM EDT
Potato's, eggs, charcoal briquettes, clays and hanging balloons filled with a little flour, shotgun hulls, spent Wolf cases, pictures of your boss, aol cd'S (free from Home Depot and other places), animal crackers are hard to hit from a distance. I tried paint ball's but they are to small for my eyes, after 20 shots and not hitting the damn thing I gave up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:50:56 PM EDT
Fill milk jugs with water and add red or blue food coloring. They explode in color when hit with a 223 at 50 - 100 yards. When hit with a 12 ga slug from 25 yards, they are spectacular.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:00:40 PM EDT
hell, to be honest, most of my plinking targets are whatever cans or whatnot might happen to be in the bed of my truck, or whatever i can find laying around. beer cans, milk jugs, bricks, you name it. even gone as far as to shoot at chem lights at night.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:07:08 AM EDT
steel plates. When you hit they go "DING" at dusk, you can see sparks.
Top Top