Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2003 11:10:18 PM EDT
Took my new V-Match with 3.5X10 Weaver Grand Slam scope out for the first time.  Had intended to go through the barrel break-in procedure (shoot/clean,shoot/clean etc.) but the first three rounds out of a clean, cold barrel were touching at 50 yards.  Just continued shooting and managed to shoot several one hole groups that measured .27".  The worst groups it produced were still under 1/2".  All were shot with cheap Ultramax 55 grain soft point ammo.  The only modifications were the addition of a Hogue slip on handguard cover, Hogue grip and a cheap ($2.00) trigger/hammer spring kit from Brownell's.  Can't imagine match ammo doing any better.  I'm impressed!  This is now my favorite AR and I can't wait to try it at 100 and 200 yards.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#1]
50 yrds is not a real good range  to test accuracy, try:

100 yrd average range
200 yrd better
300 yrds better yet!

And good black hills or federal match 52 gr would do much better for groups more than likely!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I would take those results anyday..  WTG,  That sure makes you feel good to see those results Huh...

Have fun....

Prosise
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
RJK,
consider slowing down and going back to the barrel break-in procedure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Just curious, why are you trying to "break in" a chrome lined barrel??
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
[LOLabove] seriously, i believe a bushmaster reps reply to the break in question for a chrome lined barrel was "just shoot the darn thing"
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm aware of Bushmaster's comment regarding barrel break-in but have always gone through a limited break-in procedure anyway (old habits die hard).  Went to the fifty yard range just for the purpose of breaking in this rifle and a new bull barrel 10/22 (50 yd range is 35 miles from me and the 300 yd is 100 miles) I did do the the break-in routine on the 10/22 but when I saw how well the V Match shot, I dispensed with the procedure on it.
On my next outing I'm going to the 300 yard range and try various types of ammo.  My 20" HBAR prefers Fed 52 grain Match and my Shorty likes Fed 50 grain flat base HPs.  My Colt A1 only likes 55 gr FMJ.
I've never tried the Black Hills though and may have to pick some up to try.  All things considered, I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, 50 yd one hole groups isn't a very good indicator of your rifles accuracy.
My plain jane A3 will do that with XM193. You'll see the groups open up at 100yds, or mabey you won't. I sure did! [:)]
Good shootin' to ya.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top