Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 8:32:19 PM EDT
i have a preban colt upper and a postban colt lower. i was told that the two could be fitted together, but the gunsmith asked me to leave and told me that he could not do it. any help
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:51:02 PM EDT
sure...send it to this address and they'll be happy to help you. 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW. Room 8290 Washington, DC 20226
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:51:18 PM EDT
No problem,they should go right together but you need to weld the flash supp. permanently to the barrel and grind the bayonet lug off and your good to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2003 9:40:08 PM EDT by Shadowblade]
Originally Posted By Zoomer: No problem,they should go right together but you need to weld the flash supp. permanently to the barrel and grind the bayonet lug off and your good to go.
View Quote
Sorry.... No flash suppressor. He can have a brake welded on or go bare nekkid.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:09:45 PM EDT
In the unlikely event this isn't a troll, just be aware that installing a pre-ban upper on a postban lower is a felony.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:27:32 AM EDT
Physically, yes. Legally, no. If you need a smith to put an upper on a lower then you need alot of help from the guys on this board, which they will be more than happy to provide.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:18:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 11:21:11 AM EDT by Stickman]
Thr troubling part of your question isn't that you are unaware it is illegal to put the post ban lower on your preban upper. The troubling thing is that you are unaware of how to do something so obvious as using two pushpins. It is possible that you are simply unfamiliar with weapons of any type, but the way your question is phrased makes most of us think you are not "real".
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 12:54:06 PM EDT by Halfcocked]
Originally Posted By Stickman: Thr troubling part of your question isn't that you are unaware it is illegal to put the post ban lower on your preban upper. The troubling thing is that you are unaware of how to do something so obvious as using two pushpins. It is possible that you are simply unfamiliar with weapons of any type, but the way your question is phrased makes most of us think you are not "real".
View Quote
Add to that you know there is such a thing as pre-ban and post-ban; that there even exists a ban, and, well, [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:07:16 PM EDT
JUST TO CLARIFY i wrote the original message without knowing, for sure, the legality of putting together pre&post ban parts. this is the first rifle that i have ever assembled. i had the rifle together, the easy part. however it would not fire. i was trying to get someone to confirm or deny the fact that the two pieces will not fit together properly. the front pivot hole in the lower is much smaller than the front hole in the upper, this makes the rifle fit together funny. let alone the fact that the firing pin does not seem to be pushed forward enough when firing. it will only dent the round. that is all. i realize that i should have been a little more clear in my question.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:57:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 3:36:32 AM EDT by Gecko]
The "preban" upper you have is probably a large hole upper made to go onto an earlier Colt lower, such as an SP-1. Most commonly, on legal prebans, you will find a large hole lower mated to a small hole upper and there is a simple screw conversion pin for this. I really don't know if there is a simple conversion to mate a large hole upper with a small hole lower. However, in your case it is a moot point as what you have is illegal anyway. Unless I'm way off base here, but I don't think so, you should not even have a preban upper in your possession without a preban lower. It violates a rule by the BATF called "Constructive Intent." That is probably why the smith didn't even want you in the shop with it! Though not the same law its the same principle as the NFA law and rules that say the mere posession of the parts to convert a semi-auto to a full-auto shows intent to manufacture an illegal weapon. The problems you are having are probably directly related to the mismatch (improper) alignment of the upper and lower. You will probably find that most people on this board and most other gun boards are not going to answer questions on assembling illegal weapons. Moreover, it is pretty well known that the ATF routienly monitors gun boards, such as this, particularly since 9-11. That is why you were initially dubbed a "troll." My advice - get rid of that upper until you get a legal preban lower.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:50:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By natas: JUST TO CLARIFY i wrote the original message without knowing, for sure, the legality of putting together pre&post ban parts. this is the first rifle that i have ever assembled. i had the rifle together, the easy part. however it would not fire. i was trying to get someone to confirm or deny the fact that the two pieces will not fit together properly. the front pivot hole in the lower is much smaller than the front hole in the upper, this makes the rifle fit together funny. let alone the fact that the firing pin does not seem to be pushed forward enough when firing. it will only dent the round. that is all. i realize that i should have been a little more clear in my question.
View Quote
From what point did you assemble this rifle? From complete uppers and lowers or from stripped receivers, buy some parts from gun shows, buy all your parts from gun shows?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:29:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 8:31:46 AM EDT by 00_buckshot]
Did you actually purchase both these items at the same time or did you already have the preban upper and decide to buy a postban lower to go with it? That's funny as hell that you wasted all that money on something that isn't even legal and will get you 10 years in prision if you're ever caught with it. This is the sort of thing that gets the rest of us in trouble and gives us a bad name. Ask questions before you make purchasing decisions not the other way around. Sorry for being such a dick but I too was a newbie to AR's at one time but I didn't go off and buy a bunch of questionable parts before I asked the proper questions and did adequate research. Good luck. This is something you don't want to fuck up!
Top Top