Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 11:55:33 AM EDT
Special pupose weapons?
Tell me what these are used for i dont understand there purpose other than they are the coolest looking of all ar configurations, any way to me.Or where/what applications  do they excell in.
thanks gj.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Special Purpose Rifle.

Used by a designated Marksman. Idea is to add an intermediate range sharpshooter per squad/platoon, to give the unit better operational flexibility and target engagement capability. The way an SPR is setup, it gives the user a more accurate weapons base, yet could still be used as a fighter if need be.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Special Purpose Rifle.

Used by a designated Marksman. Idea is to add an intermediate range sharpshooter per squad/platoon, to give the unit better operational flexibility and target engagement capability. The way an SPR is setup, it gives the user a more accurate weapons base, yet could still be used as a fighter if need be.
View Quote

[b]Hawkeye[/b]

Thanks ,
Are the military SPR rifles weighing 12 lbs and use 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originals were 20 inch, I believe current are 18 inch. Both are in use.
As for weight, similarly equipped, they will all come in around 12 lbs, give or take a lb or 2.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Hawkeye:
Would you happen to know what kind of groups these SPRs are capable of. ("@100yrds)?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
.5 MOA or better...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
They also gain the advantage of much parts commonality w/ the rest of the weapons of whichever small teams  they'll be issued to, and ammunition/magazine system commonality in SHTF scenarios.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
But 12 lbs i would rather pac my own 20"
h barrel 6-24 scope and .250 groups and only 10lbs 9 ozs and thats alot all day yote hunting

The SPRs looks alone are intimidating enough to make one back off. Thats why i have to have one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
To me, the beauty of an SPR is that in addition to being a very accurate, not very heavy rifle, it is also tough as nails and can be used as a fighting rifle if need be. Most other guns that are as accurate or more accurate than an SPR type will not be as rugged or stout as something like an SPR. It can do a couple jobs very, very, very well, and many more jobs pretty well. A claim most other rifles arent able to make.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
[s]WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT CAR-15'S??[/S][blue]oops[/blue]
[s]WHAT IS THE BIg DEAL ABOUT M-4'S??[/S][blue]oops[/blue]
WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT SPR'S??

[peep]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are some photos?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone mentioned there light weight atribute 12lbs is not light weight.

Another mentioned ruggedness i might be wrong but i dont think any of the telescoping stocks are any stonger than a standard stock, maybe  some of the various forends may be tuffer.

And certianly the acog scopes are tuffer but i just dont see that much gain on an SPR vs a standard issued rifle as far as ruggedness goes.

So far, to me  there advantage seems to be intimidation factor and cool factor.

One huge draw back is there excessive cost.

I must admit my own logic has loss here i still need one!!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Very purpose built rifle with a very specific purpose.  It was not ever intended to be a general use gun.

That said, I'd rather have an SR25.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top