Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2003 5:04:53 PM EDT
I have a 4 oz. can of Break Free CLP.  Would this be okay to lubricate the internals and externals of my M4?  I am aware their may be better cleaners/lubricants however I hate to waste this can. What cleaner/lubricant would you recommend using in lieu of CLP?

I will be attending a gun show in South Louisiana next weekend and would like to pick up a couple of 30 round mags.  From what I have read the USGI mags are very good.  My question is how do I identify USGI mags, are they stamped USGI etc.  What would you consider a fair price.  If I cannot locate USGI mags what would be your next choice?

Thank-you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Steve
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=162713[/url]

Walmart sells 16 oz cans of breakfreeclp for $8.00.  Buy the large cans and use it to clean and lube everything on the rifle. On the barrel bore, you will want to use a good copper solvent, clp will not disolve copper.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Use CLP exclusively for cleaning and lubricating your AR, *except* that you may want to use a copper solvant every 3-5K rounds in your barrel.
View Quote

Is it ok to use Copper solvant more often? I use it every time I clean my rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it ok to use Copper solvant more often? I use it every time I clean my rifle.
View Quote

You can but why waste the money?  Besides then you have to clean out the copper solvent (i.e. with gunscrubber) before using the CLP or you risk the CLP gumming up.

Besides use of the copper solvent will remove the protective teflon Breakfree lays down.

[b]Stephen[/b] no the magazines are no stamped 'USGI' but if you want to find ou how they are marked visit Troy's excellent MAGAZINE FAQ in the Magazine forum of this site.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Break-Free CLP does not have any Teflon in it.

http://www.break-free.com/index.htm

(see MSDS, CAS for teflon is 116-14-3)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you want teflon in your cleaning lube?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Break-Free CLP does not have any Teflon in it.

http://www.break-free.com/index.htm

(see MSDS, CAS for teflon is 116-14-3)
View Quote

If that's true then its a very new thing.  Breakfree has been using teflon for years (that is why you had to shake it to get the teflon suspended in the solution).

Now the ROyCo 634 CLP (which also meets the military spec) was the first approved CLP that didn't use the Teflon (I have gallons of that as well).
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you want teflon in your cleaning lube?
View Quote

Remember its CLP - it Cleans - LUBRICATES - and Protects.  Teflon keeps it Lubricated even after the solvent has dissapated.

Newer CLP formulations don't need it.  I happen to still have some BreakFree left - its nevered bothered (or hurt) me in almost 20 years of use.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
USGI M16 magazines have the manufacturer stamped on the baseplate. The mag body is aluminum with a gray matte finish. Later versions have a light green plastic follower which is the preferred type, as it is anti-tilt, reducing magazine jams. New USGI magazines should be in a plastic wrap with the manufacturer and contract number stamped on it. Watch out for 'refurbished' repainted mags with a green follower added. Nothing wrong with many of them, but they are sometimes sold as new. A real new one could cost $30 or more, depending on the manufacturer. Colt, of course is the highest. Sometimes at a show you can find a guy with a big box of used ones that you can pick through - look for undamaged ones with some finish left on them. Most used ones will have a brassy look, which is intermediate plating so the matte finish will adhere. Unit armorers have been known to peen the baseplate into a concave shape to prevent the baseplate from deforming, and that's a legitimate modification if it's done smoothly with no dents or scratches. Push down the followers on a couple of new ones so you can gauge what the tension should be on the old ones. Feed lips should be completely undamaged. As an alternate, The British gov't. steel mags seem to be okay and they're out at the shows now. They're gray like the G.I., but a little heavier. New ones have a little sticker on them identifying their British origin. I agree with you - use military mags, because they work. I've had mostly trouble with aftermarket mags for many different kinds of guns. You may want to consider the G.I. 20 round mags, as they really are more practical for range use, and are generally a lot cheaper than the 30 round.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top