Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2003 12:31:27 PM EDT
Hmm, more narrowing down of uppers for me. I really like the way the M4 looks, however it appears you can only get a postban M4 in 16 inch with a muzzle brake on the end. I'm worried the muzzle brake would be loud. Anyway, I'm looking at the RRA uppers to match my RRA lower. There's the 16 inch A4 CAR upper, with the short CAR handguard, that I was going to switch for an M4 handguard. Then there is the M4 upper. What is the difference between these? The CAR A4 uppers doesnt have a Muzzle brake or any attatchment on the end, the M4 appears to have a muzzle brake. They are both 16 inch barrels, so wouldnt that make them the same? I've heard however the M4 is different as it has some kind of feed ramps with are better? Is this the case with the RRA ones?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
the upper I bought from RRA is the pre-ban one......the handguards are the short M4 one with double heatshield. the feedramp looks to be a bit different then on my BUSHMASTER and my EAGLE ARMS ...so I guess they are the M4 type, but I couldn't say for sure, it does extend a bit into the receiver if that is what they mean by "long".

I did see a post-ban upper RRA at a gunshow...looked to be the same thing as the one I got (don't know about the feed ramps) except it didn't have a bayo lug (which on a 16 inch Mforgery is really useless, since the ring of the bayonet sits way behind the FS). the flash suppresor had a "sleeve" inside of it so it is no longer a flash suppresor, and it isn't a break....but cosmetically look like a  flash suppresor.

even if it did have a muzzle break, so what if it's loud....you're going to be wearing ear plugs (at least I hope you do when shooting) so that is a non-issue "complaint"

personally I think the whole hubba-loo about M4 feed ranps is a bunch of shit. I have a EAGLE ARMS XM177 clone and the feed ramps on that is the exact same thing that is on my "gov't" model BUSHMASTER....and it feed just fine.

I believe it's a more of a colt properitary and patent thing, more then any "enhanced" feed thing....and I doubt very seriously that a "long" feed ramp has any effect on the auto version as well.....M16A2 don't have them and they fire just fine in auto or burst mode.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The RRA M4 barrel has a faux flash suppressor pressed over the end, to look like an 14.5" barrel with an A2 FS, no noisy brake. Also, RRA only offers chromelining on the M4 barrels, and that is most of the cost difference, along with popularity.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that the RRA M4 postban upper is probably what you are looking for. Low noise, cool looks and a 16" barrel that looks like the 14.5" military version because, as noted, the faux suppressor is pressed on over the barrel so does not add to length. I have one and if you are looking for a postban M4 upper that is the one for you. Get the chrome lined barrel.
RRA upper has a good fit and finish as well.

Check out Pete's(legal-transfers) ads on the equip exchange or go to [url]www.ar15sales.com[/url].
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top