Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2003 2:27:17 PM EDT
I just got finished putting together my RRA lower and parts kit with the fixed 6-pos stock. Looks great! Anyhow, now I have to start looking at uppers. I know I want an RRA upper, however I'm a bit confused on some things. I want a 16 inch barrel, and I want it to be crome-lined, that I know. On an M4 upper, Does the end always have either a muzzle brake or flash hider? Or can you build an M4 upper that has neither at the end?If I bought an RRA M4 upper in post ban, since my lower is post ban, does that mean it comes with a muzzle brake? The muzzle brake is louder right? On a CAR upper, lets say the 16 inch one with the short CAR handguard, could you just switch out the CAR handguard with an M4 handguard no problem? What is the difference between the M4 upper and the 16 inch upper with the CAR short handguaurd? Is it just the feed ramps on the M4 upper that makes the difference? I really like the way the M4 looks, however I don't know if the muzzle brake makes it louder or not, and I don't want an obnoxiously loud gun. Any help? Sorry so many questions.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It is  illegal to put an upper with a true flash suppressor on a post-ban lower. YES a muzzle break significantly increases the noise factor. However, my post-ban bushy carbine has a mini y comp muzzle brake on it and yes it is loud, but with the price of pre-bans, people should understand! Besides, the increase in sound usually only bothers those off to your side in the next lane!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome [newbie]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
WELCOME!

I'm also a newbie and I think you'll find this is one of the best websites out there for learning new things about your rifle.  

The people here are top notch and flame wars are few and far between; don't be afraid to ask the "dumb question" as the people on this board are really helpful.

Mike Sigman
RRA CAR A2M4 and lovin' every minute!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The upper reciever on RRA products is the same thing the M4 barrel can be had chrome lined and the FAKE flash hider can be pressed on the end of the 16" barrel giving no extra noise and you keep all 16" of length.  You can swap M4 handguards with regular handguards no problem.  If you get M4 handguards get either the Cavarms single heat sheild or the Colt double heat sheild.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club, or the sickness as we call it.  I don't think I have to tell you what the "sickness" means because your name explains it.  I think a lot of us have Empty Wallets because of our ARs.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get a straight 16" barrel with no brake or flash supressor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the 16" with no brake, you can thread it for a comp. after the AWB go's away.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top