Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2003 8:58:35 PM EDT
I know this is old, but I just found it and laughed and was pissed at the same time. Here it is from cnn.com.... Bushmaster .223:Accurate, inexpensive- But like the venomous snake for which it is named, the high-powered rifle is deadly.
   The gun, according to Eric Haney, a retired U.S. Army sergeant major, is "for those who want the general feel of a military weapon." It's the semi-automatic version of the civillan model of the U.S. military M-16 manufactured by Colt.
   A Bushmaster weapon, according to a law enforcement source, was found inside the car of the sniper suspects arrested October 24.
   The weapon is sufficient for target shooting long distances, said Haney, who served with the U.S. Army's elite Delta Force in the 1970's and 1980's and was one of its founding members.
   "I would have been very suprised if they had not found a scope on that weapon," Haney said. With a scope, the shooter is able to find targets at night more easily, he said.
   The Bushmaster make is one of the less expensive models of the semi-automatic rifle, usually costing between $500 and $600, he said. "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun," Haney said.
   Nor is it hard to operate.
   "[It's easy to use] for the type of shooting we saw in the Washington area," Haney said. "Almost an 8-year-old child can be taught to do that in an hour, and hour-and-a-half."

Really??? So all you people that have Bushy's have "Cheap guns????" Hmmmmmm, and an 8-year-old child can learn to operate it in an hour?? COME ON!! You can teach a friggin' 8-year-old to do almost anything in a hour!! Damn this guy was Delta?? Disgusting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What else do you expect from the liberal media?  Always bullshit propaganda.  Too bad liberals are the minority in this great country.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
With a scope, the shooter is able to find targets at night more easily, he said.
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh well.....I liked his book!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
costing between $500 and $600, he said. "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun,"
View Quote

I realize that most Bushmasters cost closer to $1000, but even if they didn't....if $600 is a cheap gun, then what is Jennings?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to burst your bubble, guys, but that posting of his was
[size=6]WAY[/size=6]
old.  It was done when the "Beltway Sniper", was caught.

But you're right on one count:
I can teach almost anybody to shoot by just using their two hands.

One finger on one hand to be the Front sight, the other hand makes a "V".
Line up their fingernails, aim at something, and Lesson One is over.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
As for the jennigs, it dosent count as a gun.
It is just an assemblege of metal parts that will sometimes shoot
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Considering how fucked up CNN is, I wouldn't be surprised if they took his statements out of context, or even tweaked them a little.  Nothing he said was untrue, but they way they presented it doesn't paint an accurate picture of shooting in general.

As for cheap, if he is referring to the comparison between a Bushmaster AR and a precision bolt gun (aka sniper rifle), then yes, the BM rifle is cheap.

Just my thoughts, as your mileage may vary.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Haney is no friend of gun owners.

[Gratuitous personal opinion self-censored, so I don't get attacked by the SOCNET crowd.]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing he said was untrue, but they way they presented it doesn't paint an accurate picture of shooting in general.

As for cheap, if he is referring to the comparison between a Bushmaster AR and a precision bolt gun (aka sniper rifle), then yes, the BM rifle is cheap.
View Quote

The $600 dollars was completely untrue.  Mine cost more like $900 with tax.

I own an H&K USP which is known as an 'expensive gun'.  My H&K cost LESS than my Bushmaster.

If you want a cheap rifle, I'm sure you can find hundreds of rifles for less than the bushmaster.

When they discovered those sniper @ssholes had a Bushmaster, I was honestly wondering where they got the money for it  

We now know they stole it... So price wasn't even an issue.

As for Haney's quote about "The Bushmaster make is one of the less expensive models of the semi-automatic rifle" and "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun"... I just have to seriously wonder about the guy's mental condition.  If nothing else he's sounding like he's gone senile.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"semi automatic version of the civilian model of the U.S. military M-16 manufactured by Colt."

As Arnold would have said "Run that by me again?"  I wish I could find a Bushy for such a low cost. I love how they say that "the high powered rifle is deadly!" I haven't heard of a single firearm that [b]isn't[/b] deadly! What a bunch of schmucks! I guess my pistols are dangerous, but not [b]deadly[/b]!?
-B9
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
The idoicy there is so overwhelming. I cant believe it. Out dated yes, but still makes me very mad.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Whoever wrote that should be fired.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Haney is no friend of gun owners.

[Gratuitous personal opinion self-censored, so I don't get attacked by the SOCNET crowd.]
View Quote

I doubt you would have to worry about an "attack" from the SOCNET crowd for insulting a guy who is essentially a 1st class sell-out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know...the only crowd that's even close to the cops for rallying around and protecting one of their own idiots is the 'Special Ops' crowd...

Now I've done it.[0:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]
It's the semi-automatic version of the civillan model of the U.S. military M-16 manufactured by Colt.
View Quote

If this was the semi-automatic version of the civillan model, I wonder what the other versions of the civillian models are?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#16]
To be honest, I've never understood the fascination with the Bushmaster brand.  It's certainly a good AR15 maker, but the brand loyalty you see is amazing.

It doesn't help that the corporate logo (on every rifle) looks like a really ugly snake with a hard on...

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
lol Alex

Many of us feel the same way about Colt. I still don't understand the large Front Pivot pin and FCS pins. Just to give some perspective I do own a post-ban Bushy and a pre-ban Colt. Alex knows this as we are buds so this is for the rest. :)

Anyway Bushmaster does do alot of things to inspire loyalty.

Firstly their Customer Service is Top Notch. I have called them about 5 times over the past few weeks to check on parts for my M16A4 project and they have kicked ass. They ship parts that are in stock very quickly.

Secondly their website is amazing. They have every replacment part you could imagine listed and then some. Armalite has this to some degree and if Colt has it I haven't found it on their website yet.

Fit and Finish wise I don't see a difference between Armalite, Colt and Bushmaster. All are top notch. Having said that I know that if I order a rifle or parts from Bushmaster that they are good quality and interchageable with any other AR type rifle that has maintained as close to milspec as civilian rifles can get.

This is always gonna be a ford vs chevy sort of discussion and everyone likes what they like.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Hence the winky [;)] smiley.

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#19]
AS far as I'm concerned the media is a bunch of bleeding hearts,tree loving pricks.But no seriously Where else can so many who know so little, expound their oppinions?Only in the good old U.S.A.Their pompousinous is only exceede by their ignoranance of fact!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Here, let me break everything down for you all to justify my comments.  Be advised and look where the quotation marks are.

Bushmaster .223:Accurate, inexpensive- But like the venomous snake for which it is named, the high-powered rifle is deadly.
View Quote

Haney didn't say that.

The gun, according to Eric Haney, a retired U.S. Army sergeant major, is "for those who want the general feel of a military weapon."
View Quote

True.  I'll agree with it.  I bought my first AR so I could build and keep up my proficiency while I was still in the service.

It's the semi-automatic version of the civillan model of the U.S. military M-16 manufactured by Colt.
View Quote

No quotes here, so you can't attribute the statement to Haney.  The fact that it is fucked up with "semi-automatic version of the civilian model of the...." is something that a know-nothing, gun-grabbing reporter regurgitating what they read on the back of a VPC pamphlet shows me right there that 1)  the reporter is of dubious credentials and 2)  since the storyteller can't even get that fact right, why should I believe him when he quotes Haney?

A Bushmaster weapon, according to a law enforcement source, was found inside the car of the sniper suspects arrested October 24.
View Quote

Who is this LE source?  Sounds like bad writing to me when you switch thoughts mid-paragraph and don't name the source.  Yes, this weapon was found in the car, but no, they aren't snipers.  They are POSs with a high-dollar, stolen gun.

The weapon is sufficient for target shooting long distances, said Haney, who served with the U.S. Army's elite Delta Force in the 1970's and 1980's and was one of its founding members.
View Quote

True on both accounts (about the rifle and Haney's credentials).  After all, how many of us shoot beyond 300 yards (provided we can find a range for that) with our ARs?

"I would have been very suprised if they had not found a scope on that weapon," Haney said. With a scope, the shooter is able to find targets at night more easily, he said.
View Quote

I was surprised too, but then again, after the investigation really began and you could wade through the inaccurate crap the media was putting out, what WAS the average range of their kills?  Under 100 yds?  Hell, I can shoot better than 3 inch groups with iron sights at 100 with cheap ammo, and I don't have the best vision.

The Bushmaster make is one of the less expensive models of the semi-automatic rifle, usually costing between $500 and $600, he said. "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun," Haney said.
View Quote

Yes, a Bushmaster is cheap compared to Armalite, Colt, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat.  I don't know, perhaps he was comparing them to a BM or maybe he gets a deal from his local gunsmith.  Or, that might have been the price when he was looking and/or purchased a rifle.  Or, that may even be the agency/government price.

But then again, look at the quotes.  The only thing we can attribute to him is the "cheap gun" comment.  Did he tell the reporter the prices?  Only the reporter and Haney know that.

Nor is it hard to operate.
"[It's easy to use] for the type of shooting we saw in the Washington area," Haney said. "Almost an 8-year-old child can be taught to do that in an hour, and hour-and-a-half."
View Quote

If you ever want to teach a good skill, whether it be athletic skills, foreign language skill, musical skill, whatever, kids will have more ease in picking up that skill than an adult will.  

We've all reveled at the simplicity of the AR...that's one reason why the military has kept it for so long, longer than any other longarm (not counting machineguns here) in US history.

So, I don't know Haney from Adam (except I do have his book), but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Just look at what an official at Bushmaster was quoted as saying by a local paper, and how hot people got because they took the reporter's article as gospel when, in fact, the official was misquoted.

The media, on the part, half, or whole are against us.  Shootings and murder by shootings make good copy.  Responsible and safe firearm use to prevent crime and murder aren't.  Newspapers are a business, and as my daddy says:

"Money talks and bullshit walks."

-Zmeja
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top