Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 11:49:55 AM EDT
Does anyone know if there is a compensator or brake on the market that you can order to fit specific diameter barrels that requires no barrel threading to attach?  I envision something like this . . .

Notice that it is held on the barrel by three (or more) bolts.

If there was such a device would you purchase one?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just so you know, it's "brake", as in "put in the brakes to slow us down!", not "break", as in, "let's break his arm!"

-Troy
View Quote

Thanks, sorry, I knew that.  I'm just really bad sometimes with checking my spelling on things like that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If there was one like that, I'd sure buy it.  As a matter of fact..it would be a good design to use to attach a cover/deflector over a Bushmaster mini-y comp, so you could shoot it at the range, and in competition too.  Any machinists out there willing to make a few..???
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Like these?

[url]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductsList.aspx?CategoryID=56&selection=8[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like these?

[url]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductsList.aspx?CategoryID=56&selection=8[/url]
View Quote

Close, but I'm talking about providing a variety of sizes up to a 1" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The basic problem with this design is that you have 35,000 or so PSI impacting those surfaces.  There's just no way to clamp the brake down tight enough to prevent it from being blown off the barrel.  Some folks have had their brakes attached with roll-pins, and the force of the gasses hitting the flats on the brake eventually sheered the roll-pins completely apart, launching the brake downrange.

That's why most non-threaded brakes are attached using solid, hardened taper pins.

-Troy
View Quote

I see your point.  So, if the clamp design wouldn't hold well enough, what about something similar to SOG Armory's six set screws?  Set screws would seem to be very effective if you made small indentations in the barrel where the set screws would seat into.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top