Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2003 10:35:11 AM EDT
I have seen 3 different types of forward assist plungers. There is the teardrop style used on the A1, the small round style used on the A2 and a larger round one that is flat on the side closest to the receiver. Does anyone know where to get one of the larger round ones with the flat side? Everyplace I have looked has either the teardrop or the small round plungers. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this what you'r looking for?
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/9349086-tdkit.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is this what you'r looking for?
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/9349086-tdkit.asp[/url]
View Quote

No, there is a third style that looks like the round one, but it has a larger diameter. It also has the side closest to the receiver milled flat. I believe it was the style that the A2's originally had and then they went to the smaller round style because they were cheaper to make.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it possible that the third style is for an AR10 type rifle?

Just a thought
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if they were designed for or would even fit on an AR-10, but I have one of these plungers on one of my AR-15 uppers right now and am trying to find another one for my other upper. They would look more like this:
[img]http://www.fulton-armory.com/forwardAssist.gif[/img]
I may have answered my questioned though. Specialized Armament Warehouse lists the teardrop, small round and large round forward assist assemblies on their website. Unfortunately the large round is $20 more than the small round.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
CAR-AR is right.  Colt originally went to the large round assist because it was cheaper to make than the teardrop.  It was full round, w/o the flat. Then, when the A2 with the reinforced rear ring came out, they had to mill the flat in it, so it would clear the lower rear ring.  This raised the price back to what a teardrop cost, so that's when they went to the small round.

Both my late model M16 clones have the round/flat side units in them (the A1 and XM177 clones have teardrops).  Being left handed, when I hit the assist, it's w/my left thumb reaching around, and the larger button gives me a better "mash ability"[:D]

Had to haunt the parts guys at the gun shows once or twice to find them.

(Edited to change"A3" to "A2" Durn fumble fingers[:D])
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CAR-AR is right.  Colt originally went to the large round assist because it was cheaper to make than the teardrop.  It was full round, w/o the flat. Then, when the A3 with the reinforced rear ring came out, they had to mill the flat in it, so it would clear the lower rear ring.  This raised the price back to what a teardrop cost, so that's when they went to the small round.

Both my late model M16 clones have the round/flat side units in them (the A1 and XM177 clones have teardrops).  Being left handed, when I hit the assist, it's w/my left thumb reaching around, and the larger button gives me a better "mash ability"[:D]

Had to haunt the parts guys at the gun shows once or twice to find them.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I recently bought an A1 and an A2 Colt large hole upper receiver and both came with this type of forward assist.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top