Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 10:24:44 PM EDT
Was Palmetto Armory a manufacturer of preban AR's ??  My memory says they did make some preban AR's but I need to be sure.

Anyone know what happened to Palmetto ??  I don't believe they're still in business but don't know if they were sold to someone or___________________ ??

Thanks !!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you asking about this  long ago Confederate "Palmetto Armory":

[red][b]Palmetto Armory (William Glaze & Co), Columbia, South Carolina[/b][/red]

[red]"On April 15, 1851, the State of South Carolina awarded Benjamin Flag of Millbury, Mass. and William Glaze, owner of the [b]Palmetto Armory[/b], Columbia, a sizable contract for muskets, rifles and pistols. One thousand sabres and one thousand artillery swords were included; "all arms to be made within the confines of the State of South Carolina." Later the contract was amended to delete the artillery swords and adding an additional one thousand cavalry sabres with scabbards. These were made at the [b]Palmetto Armory[/b] and were identical to the US, Model-1840. All were stamped on the reverse ricasso "Columbia, S.C. " and some few "Wm. Glaze & Co." on the obverse. Confederate Handguns raises a question as to whether those sabers stamped "Columbia, S.C." are in fact the product of the [b]Palmetto Armory[/b]? The answer to this is a definite "yes"" Comparison between those that also include the name of the maker "Wm. Glaze & Co." reveal that the "Columbia, S.C." is struck with the same die on both. An additional question also raised by Confederate Handguns is whether the sabre contract was ever fulfilled? The survival ratio strongly suggests that it was."[/red]

Believe this was defunct before ARs were invented, perhaps your thinkin of:

[b]PWA[/b] (360) 438-3983
35222 and Below - Pre-Ban (Note:Some lowers are cast not forged. Out of business) Post-ban have a year prefix in the serial number. Rumored to have only sold lowers.

Mike

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

[b]PWA[/b] (360) 438-3983
35222 and Below - Pre-Ban (Note:Some lowers are cast not forged. Out of business) Post-ban have a year prefix in the serial number. Rumored to have only sold lowers.

Mike

View Quote

Mike, I'm 99% certain that I once had a preban AR-15 and the receiver was marked "Palmetto Armory".  I was trying to get confirmation that my memory was correct and also wondering if they were still around, had they been bought by someone or did they simply go out of business.

Tom
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw two of the old guns this past weekend at a gun show.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent and thanks very much guys !!  

(A local dealer called me with the preban question as he has one placed on consignment and I didn't want to advise him until somone confirmed my sorry memory.)

Tom
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top