Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/11/2003 6:18:02 AM EDT
I'm debating getting a bipod for my AR15. I notice that most people don't have them. Why should I or shouldn't I get one? Didn't want to spend a ton and I was thinking of getting this one . . .
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:23:14 AM EDT
Depends on what type of setup you're going for. The Special Purpose Rifles currently in use have 20" stainless barrels, bipod, and scope. Nice setup. A carbine or M4 is a different story. After reading [url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/0873647041?tag=vglnk-c102-20] The Ultimate Sniper[/url], I sold my bipod. The author, Major John Plaster (Ret.), says that bipods should be a last resort, only to be used when other, more stable rests (sandbags, ledges, fallen trees, etc.) cannot be found. My advice: if you wanna build an SPR, go with a good light bipod like the Harris Ultralight. If you have a carbine or M4, go without.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:26:16 AM EDT
First: Decide if you'd ever have a need for one. Are you going to be shooting from the prone position or from a table and trying to shoot sub moa with your gun? Then I'd say heck yes. Are you shooting offhand or using your gun for plinking/home defense? Then I'd say the bipod would be more of a liability than an asset. Second: If you decide to get a bipod, get a good one. Harris bipods last forever, and aren't extremely heavy. That's my .02... -catch
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:42:54 AM EDT
Just attach a foward vertical grip. With 20rnd mags you can use the front grip as a monopod. I use it all the time on gophers with my m4gery. Not as stable at bi-pod but pretty damn close, plus the forward grip is also used as.....well, a forward grip. So its not just extra weight when not in use.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:47:56 AM EDT
Thanks everybody. I think I'm just going to stick with my vertical grip. Can't really see me using it that much really.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:00:56 AM EDT
If you have a varmiter config. then yeah. I;ve seen them on M4s and shortys. Honestly I think thats a waist of money. Some people like the look and thats fine. For my weapon, (20" bushie) I am just fine without it. If I can hit stuff without a bipod, then ANYONE can. I would only recommend a bipod on an AR15 if its well over 20 inches or a varmiter. Just my $.02 cents.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:08:17 AM EDT
whoa...anybody that takes bipod advice from plaster the disaster needs to go and look at some of his other stunts...like the stock he designed for Choate----it weighs around 10 pounds by itself. I like bipods, when I need to set my AK down, it holds it up. It also is nice to shoot with, as for the AR, I have a cheap plastic bipod that I put on it when I need steadiness or I am just giving it a rest. There are always situations where it works and there will be situations where it won't...would you rather spend time looking for a rest or bring your with you?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:11:54 AM EDT
I use mine at the range all the time. I only use Harris ones on mine. [img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047933.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/040107.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:14:24 AM EDT
I disagree, prone shooting with a bipod is nice even on my m4ergy. also on OLN they had a sniper challenge shoot out and almost all of them in the close range rapid fire shooting had m4s with bipods with RAS. I got a harris ultra lite with a ARMS quick detach and a pod-loc systems (from paul at mstn) on my ARMS 50, awesome bipod setup.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:20:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Guntoting_Spartan: I disagree, prone shooting with a bipod is nice even on my m4ergy. also on OLN they had a sniper challenge shoot out and almost all of them in the close range rapid fire shooting had m4s with bipods with RAS. I got a harris ultra lite with a ARMS quick detach and a pod-loc systems (from paul at mstn) on my ARMS 50, awesome bipod setup.
View Quote
Can you point me to some web sights with the gear for the set up you described? If I get one I want it to be very light and easy to detach.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:19:37 AM EDT
I agree with the bi-pod guys. I have a Harris on every AR I have. If I don't need it, it takes less than 30 seconds to remove. You can shoot it steadier on the bench where I do most of my shooting. When you're not shooting, it holds it safely. And if you wanna shoot off-hand, just fold it up. For CQB it is not a liability because it folds foreward out of the way, and weighs very little. Every time I go to the range without it, I wish I had brought it because nothing else I put it on feels the right height.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:18:23 AM EDT
I use a cheap $20 rifle rest when I am at the range. Caldwell is the company that makes them. You can find them at MidwayUSA.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:24:58 AM EDT
Get a Harris LM with a No 5 adapter- the adapter simply clamps through a vent hole on the CAR handguards (it may take a little more effort on M4 guards) and allows you to quickly attach/detach the bipod. I use one for zeroing at 50 yards- no prone shooting on sandbags allowed at the local range! The best part about my Harris is that it neatly fits in one of the mag pouches on my range bag- if I don't want it, I just stow it and offhand shoot. Natchez Shooting sports has the best price on them as far as I know: www.Natchezss.com
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:09:13 PM EDT
They are nice if you are camped out over a field hunting or something like that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:43:43 PM EDT
here ya go [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=151235[/url] fairly expensive 230 bucks
Top Top