Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/10/2003 4:10:32 PM EDT
I have an Oly lower with a nice trigger and a VLTOR carbine stock. I am seriously interested in an SPR upper with the new SIR. Should I make a preban, ans share lowers, or a post ban on my brothers Armalite?

Preban is cheaper. I even figured out a way to not screw with the slings. The SPR can have a sling with the ball bearing attachment thingy that came with the VLTOR on one side, and I can take my single point off the rear of the receiver.

But do I want to be able to use both at once? Well, no me, but maybe me and a buddy at the range?

Ops inc. brake or Vortex?

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:50:03 PM EDT
I guess we're back to that old question of do you want a flash suppressor or a muzzle brake ?? For an SPR I would go with a brake and postban receiver. Now as to which brake, I would call Wes Grant at mstn.biz (cause he knows a lot more about them than I do) !!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:35:14 PM EDT
The Ops Inc brake used on SPR clones are, as I understand it, preban only. I struggled with the same decision. In the end, I just built a whole new SPR (out of an Armalite coincidentally). I guess its just the idea of having a whole nother gun as opposed to 1 and a half! Heck, if Im lucky, the ban will sunset and I can put whatever I want on the end of the barrel. If that should come to pass, I dont know id I would do an OPS Inc or Vortex either. I would probably lean towards Vortex just because I value the flash suppression over the compensation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:38:37 PM EDT
Go "Post" with no muzzle adornment. With an 18 or 20" heavy barrel, scope, SIR, etc there is no recoil to speak of, and you save a ton of money, plus you have, as mentioned, another whole gun to play with.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:57:10 AM EDT
what is an SPR?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:20:30 PM EDT
Special Purpose Rifle (was Receiver originally. Basically, an accurized AR built by Crane NSWC and used by SOCOM in Afghanistan. Do a search, there are dozens of posts on this.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:54:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 5subslr5: For an SPR I would go with a brake and postban receiver.
View Quote
what he said
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2003 6:07:27 PM EDT by sfcret]
why go with a brake? the picture shows a SPR with a can on it..... [url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000020.html[/url] if I ever get the bucks together, this is the kit I would build into a rifle........truthfully I think this looks a hell of a lot more evil. [:)] [img]http://www.zmweapons.com/Lg_images/Preb16k.jpg[/img]
Top Top