Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/10/2003 3:18:39 PM EDT
What makes a person choose an hbar barrel as opposed to light barrel, or vice-versa? Is it just that the hbar is easier to hold steady but the light barrel is lighter?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:26:20 PM EDT
I was used to .22 target rifles from shooting in both high school and college, and the M16A1 that I qualified with for the first 10 or so years of my reserve career, although not an HBAR, was a 20" rifle. Plus, I felt it would be a little harder to convince someone (as in, not a fan of ARs) that I got it for target shooting if I got a short, light barrel, perhaps better suited for CQB than for distance shooting. Advantages for both. I shot most of 300 rounds last month from the offhand- not like an HBAR tuckered me out, and I am not a big guy, 5'8", 160 lbs. (smaller than average male interested in first AR...whatever happened to that thread anyway?)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:39:30 PM EDT
To me, heavy defeats the entire purpose of an AR.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:02:38 PM EDT
The HBAR, to me, is a rifle for snipers and long distance target shooting/hunting. The light barrels kick alittle more, but are much easier to move around and don't tire one's arms out at the range. I think you should have one of each, though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:27:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lumpy196: To me, heavy defeats the entire purpose of an AR.
View Quote
The "entire purpose" of an AR is to be light? I don't think so... There are different uses/needs for various AR configurations. Being "light" is just one of them. Hbars don't heat as rapidly, are more durable, more accurate and (as some would argue) enjoy a longer life. Those sound like pretty good characteristics to me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:56:24 PM EDT
It would depend on your usage and your preferences. If its a range gun or a precision gun meant to be shot off some sort of rest, H-Bar yourself silly. If its a mobility gun, I like light. Thats why I used the phrase "To me..." instead of implying that I had the blanket answer for every user and every use.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:31:20 PM EDT
government profile 20" SP1 20" 1/12 pencil M4 all very light and in demand all thin under the handgaurds
Top Top