Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 6:37:22 PM EDT
Has anyone seen the American Rifleman June 2003 issue?  Its title article is "On Freedom's frontline American Military Arms Today".  Well in it they go into brief history of various weapons used, like the HK MP5, M16 varients, M4 and M4A1 Carbines, M9 and M11 pistols, etc.  Well in a section is says

"...in the American firearm industry are still at the forefront of supplying material for the "Arsenal of Democracy".  You see many of these names-firms such as Aimpoint, Alliant Tech Systems, Barrett, Beretta, Colt, FN USA, Heckler & Koch, Knight's, Leupold, Remington, SureFire, Trijicon and Winchester.... (sentence cut)...I know personally of guns from Armalite, DPMS, DSA, Glock, Kimber, SIGARMS, Springfield, Inc., Ruger and Taurus in Iraq Right now-plus many, many others that troops have purchased for themselves." American Rifleman June 2003, On Freedom's Frontline by Mark A. Keefe, IV.

What is up with that passage?  I have never heard of a Ruger being fielded with the US troops, nor Glock, Kimber, or DSA.  Just wondering what is up with that report and checking to see if any military personel can affirm or disaffirm that information.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that many SPECOPS troops buy their own guns or are given a budget to work with.  If you were the best of the best would you want what they give the guy who just stumbled through basic or a weapon that is appropriate to your skill? About them selecting their weapons Im not sure? I too would like to know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger= Mark II fully suppressed .22 cal pistol
      for dispatching Sentries and guard  
       Dogs  , used by Special
         Forces and SEAL  teams

Glock 18= Fully Automatic Handgun, used by  
          Security/Body Guards of DOD and SS

DSA =     Intergral scope/sight mounts

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top