Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2003 10:38:38 PM EDT
Ok, i don't want to sound stupid, but i saw this SL8 at the last gun show that i thought was absolutely amazing. It looked just like an H&K SL8, but it had an integrated optical sight right below the iron sights. I imagine like the ones found on the G36. does anyone know what i'm talking about? What is it exactly? any websites i can learn more about this variant? Does anyone know how much they run for? I forgot to look at the price in all the awe. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
ive seen two SL8s with the complete G36 conversions and with the AR magwell
i want one but they are bank!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a pic of mine.
[img]http://www.pixhost.com/pixs/sfcmac/sl8k.jpg[/img]
Check out www.HKPro.com or www.hk-54.com .
Definatly check out http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/
MIKE aka SFC MAC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
hey mk23hk...are those knight's amament hk g36 sights on that rail, or are the sights part of the rail/handle thing?  just wondering.  is the rear sight an aperature (like AR)?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay people this is the [size=3][b][red]AR-15 BOARD[/red][/b][/size=3].

Its beginning to look alot like HK around here... eeeek. Now if only HK made a AR-15 variant...[:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay people this is the [size=3][b][red]AR-15 BOARD[/red][/b][/size=3].

Its beginning to look alot like HK around here... eeeek. Now if only HK made a AR-15 variant...[:)]
View Quote

They are.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]
tango down, they are the stock sl-8 sights just put on the g-36 rail, they are similar to an AR in sight picture but adjust differently
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Please be aware that the conversion stocks are too long in the hinge area to use the G36 dual optics propperly.  The recievers of SL8 rifles, converted or not, tend to crack and come apart and there is not cure for this from HK.  They will fix it but it will happen again and again.  The G36 dual optics are nowhere near the quality of say the TA01NSN/Dr Optics combo.  The SL8 barrels are not chrome lined so thats not an option even if you do a conversion.  The "improved" semi trigger in the SL8 is better than the G36 trigger but nowhere near as good as a quality aftermarket AR trigger.  The stock itself is too long to use propperly in a centerline CQB stance.

A fully converted SL8 gives you:

Less reliability than a preban AR
More cost than a preban AR
Non adjustable stock that is too long for CQB
No more accuracy than an AR
Less flexability than an AR
Less ergonomic than an AR
You get either no back up sights OR shorter sight radius on the back up irons

I considered doing one before but what do you gain except for the "looks cool" factor?  The answer... nothing.  Why spend thousands of dollars on a rifle that gives you less instead of more?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Please be aware that the conversion stocks are too long in the hinge area to use the G36 dual optics propperly.  The recievers of SL8 rifles, converted or not, tend to crack and come apart and there is not cure for this from HK.  They will fix it but it will happen again and again.  The G36 dual optics are nowhere near the quality of say the TA01NSN/Dr Optics combo.  The SL8 barrels are not chrome lined so thats not an option even if you do a conversion.  The "improved" semi trigger in the SL8 is better than the G36 trigger but nowhere near as good as a quality aftermarket AR trigger.  The stock itself is too long to use propperly in a centerline CQB stance.

A fully converted SL8 gives you:

Less reliability than a preban AR
More cost than a preban AR
Non adjustable stock that is too long for CQB
No more accuracy than an AR
Less flexability than an AR
Less ergonomic than an AR
You get either no back up sights OR shorter sight radius on the back up irons

I considered doing one before but what do you gain except for the "looks cool" factor?  The answer... nothing.  Why spend thousands of dollars on a rifle that gives you less instead of more?
View Quote

Thanks for the Flame.
I'll only respond that you are not totaly correct in your assumptions.
Have a good weekend.

Heres's one of my ARs'
[img]http://www.pixhost.com/pixs/sfcmac/ar762x39.jpg[/img]
MIKE
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Its not a flame.  If I had a ton of money like some of the people on this board I would have one of everything including a G36 clone.  I think it looks cool as hell.  However I am limited on what I spend my money on and because I view my weapons as tools for a job rather than something to collect I have been condensing my carbines to ARs only as they are the best fighting tools for MY needs.

MK23HK,

Your rifle looks awesome.  I am sure you have a $2000 MK 23 also.  I however dont find that kind of a pistol to suit my needs.  Its also WAY expansive.  I just sold off my USP Tactical and have moved strictly to Sig handguns for my purposes.  The MK23 is cool as hell and I wish I had the cash to afford one but once again it does not suit my purposes and costs too much.  Trust me I envy your collection but its not what I would select for strictly "business purposes"

When I used to make more money a G36 conversion was being planned to the last detail.  Now I am poor by comparison so the SL8 makes no sense to me from a practical standpoint.  What issues am I wrong on concerning the SL8/G36?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]Less reliability than a preban AR[/b]

This has not been my experience with my SL8/G36 conversion.

[b]Please be aware that the conversion stocks are too long in the hinge area to use the G36 dual optics propperly.  Non adjustable stock that is too long for CQB.[/b]

The HK G36C stock takes care of these issues.

[b]The SL8 barrels are not chrome lined.[/b]

"The heavy barrel and chamber are cold hammer forged and hard chrome plated for durability and accuracy."

[b]The receivers of SL8 rifles, converted or not, tend to crack and come apart and there is not cure for this from HK.[/b]

True with regards to the SL8 stocks.  They tend to crack at the bolt release.  Not true with the SW conversion stock.

[b]The G36 dual optics are nowhere near the quality of say the TA01NSN/Dr Optics combo.[/b]

I guess Hensoldt makes crappy optics.  Also the red dot uses ambient light instead of your battery during daylight.

[b]The "improved" semi trigger in the SL8 is better than the G36 trigger but nowhere near as good as a quality aftermarket AR trigger.[/b]

It is still better than most single stage triggers and some two stage triggers.  I'll grant you one thing though, the KAC two stage trigger is in a class by itself.

[b]Less flexability than an AR[/b]

KAC offers quite a number of accessories that give you a lot of flexability.

Yes, it can be expensive and I am not knee deep in money.  I just happened to stumble upon a few good deals.  I like my SL8/G36 conversion and have not regretted getting it.  I have had no problems with it, it has a sweet trigger and is very accurate.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hey mk23hk...are those knight's amament hk g36 sights on that rail, or are the sights part of the rail/handle thing?  just wondering.  is the rear sight an aperature (like AR)?

thanks
View Quote

Here is mine with a KAC 600m rear flipup sight with extended rail, KAC flipup front sight and KAC SL8/G36 RAS.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11648[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Aimless, regular AR15 lower with a Frankenmag.  If you are referring to Marc's SL8, IIRC, it was a SW mag conversion kit but the conversion was done by someone else.  I was at B&J's the day he purchased it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeez I hate you
I was going to do a whole conversion but would rather have bought one done...instead I got my Bushmaster 25th Anniv
and began changing everything on it to my liking
I love the look of the G36 and the G36C
Im jealous as hell...come to the next NJ shoot and bring dat chit mang

Quoted:
Here's a pic of mine.
[url]http://www.pixhost.com/pixs/sfcmac/sl8k.jpg[/url]
Check out www.HKPro.com or www.hk-54.com .
Definatly check out http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/
MIKE aka SFC MAC
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Given that H&K would [u]never[/u] mfg. such a firearm here in the States if the AW ban were to die its much-deserved death, you've done a fine job of making the next best thing to a real civi-legal G36K/C. Nice job.

H&K, take note.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top