Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:09:42 PM EDT
When the ban dies I want to end up with a telestocked, flashhidered, bayonet lugged 16 inch AR. What's the cheapest way to make this happen, while I still have a year to save up? I have a decent knowledge of the workings of the AR15 series and a US mil armorers manual, what else do I need to build one of these up from a parts kit?

Right now I'm thinking of buyin a stripped lower and the lower reciever parts kit now (that way, if it looks like a harsher ban will pass, I can still order up a postban kit and get it legal before the new restrictions), and letting it wait until the sunset, then buying an assembled upper and a telestock  for "christmas in september". About how much will this cost, do you think?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When the ban dies I want to end up with a telestocked, flashhidered, bayonet lugged 16 inch AR. What's the cheapest way to make this happen, while I still have a year to save up? I have a decent knowledge of the workings of the AR15 series and a US mil armorers manual, what else do I need to build one of these up from a parts kit?

Right now I'm thinking of buyin a stripped lower and the lower reciever parts kit now (that way, if it looks like a harsher ban will pass, I can still order up a postban kit and get it legal before the new restrictions), and letting it wait until the sunset, then buying an assembled upper and a telestock  for "christmas in september". About how much will this cost, do you think?
View Quote

Your just going to have to wait on that one.  Also I must add that if you purchase a post-ban lower and a pre-ban uppper you are violating the law even if its not a complete rifle and are stored in different areas.  It is not only the possession of the assembled weapon, but it is also the ability to alter, its a term called 'constructive posession'.  Here's a example from the  [url=http://www.hot51.com/cp.htm]House of the 51 FAQ page[/url], it relates to having a K-grip and floding stock in you possession but not attached to a HK SP89, relates to the same thing.

Also as the first ban it will need to be a complete rifle, meaning built and assembled before the ban takes place.  Otherwise it is a violation.  The ban will more than likely sunset, but still cover yourself legally if it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bayonet lugs are useless on 16" guns. I wouldn't spend the money on a new sight/gas block assembly just so I could look at a bayo lug.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bayonet lugs are useless on 16" guns. I wouldn't spend the money on a new sight/gas block assembly just so I could look at a bayo lug.
View Quote

Dude this has been in the legal section before. The 30 day thing has run out though. IIRC as long as its not assembled its iffy but still A.O.K. The rules about machine guns are different than the rules about semis.

Now I know someone is gonna bring up "intent". AFAIK there is no law, ATF ruling, etc. that has said anything about intenet to assemble a pre ban rifle.

The link you provided is half assed. It refers to semi-autos as NFA weapons which is complete drivil. An NFA weapon is a MACHINE GUN. A weapon is a machine gun ONLY if it fires more than one round PER TRIGGER PULL.

The part about having the parts before the ban sunsets. Thats like saying all corn/barley grown "during" prohibition would be illegal to make into whisky afterwards. Think about it.

This is my logic. If you own a post-ban AR-15 and a pre-ban AR-15 you have the components to build an illegal rifle (by switching the uppers). But you dont see anyone arresting people for this.

BTW this is also being discussed here [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=189534[/url]

Either way you would be safe if you just saved up the money and not bothered to buy parts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, the day the ban sunsets, I'm gonna get a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and sit out in the shade and drink.  When I finally gotta take a whiz, I'm gonna walk over to a picture of Bill and Hillary, and soak them down while I laugh at them.  Then I'll go back to my chair and start the cycle over again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Heheheheh...

I planned on discharging blanks wildly into the air... Your idea sounds good to though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Besides, the whole "constructive intent" thing is moot because I said I would buy the lower and the lower reciever parts kit, WAIT until the ban is dead, and THEN buy the evil parts.

I was more looking for building tips and cost estimates for this project.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh.......
Well you can get a  DPMS lower (stripped) here [url]www.cmmginc.com[/url] for $104. They also have lower parts kits (including buttstock A2 it is $124) for $60.

They also have some great uppers and stuff. Look around in build it yourself for tool tips and stuff. This website has an instruction thingie for building lowers here [url]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
This Ban is never going to Die, so you better get over it !!!!

What do you think that they are just going to forget all about it ?????

NOT !!!! [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top