Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 4:27:38 PM EDT
I just received my brand new Bushmaster carbine from my local gun dealer yesterday.  He actually ordered it specifically for me and handed me the gun, still in the cardboard box from the distributor.  My question, a perhaps it is a normal occrance, is this: the lower is marked and stamped Bushmaster, the barrel is bushmaster ("B" in front of sight), but the upper receiver, according to the information on biggerhammer.net, has a "A" separated horizontaly, appearing as an "H" with a small triangle above it, is an Olympic.

Is it common for this mixing of brands?  I understand that Bushmaster has been cranking out thousands of rifles recently.  Do they purchase other brands when their supply runs out? Also, just an observation, the colors don't match.  The lower is the grey finish and the upper is blacker, but not the "purple" tint that is often seen with Bushmasters.

I also to it out for the first time.  Digested a variety of ammo without any problems.  LC XM193, 1982 Malaysian M193 and even some Wolf.  Funny thing was everyone says that the Wolf is dirty and smells bad, I think it smells identical to the MAL M193, BTW, everyone is correct, it does smell bad.

Thanks for the help.

Sarge
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the buy.  I wouldn't rely on this but I think I read that Olympic makes some parts for Bushmaster, or did at least, not positive though.

-Elbudster
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That is only a Forging  manufacturer mark/logo.
Most of the AR manufactures buy the un-machined upper/lower forgings from the same companies. The splinter 'A' is pretty common.

The big and most important difference is how well they are machined !
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The A means it is an Alcoa forging.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My bushy has a keyhole with 3 dots in it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess you can't believe everything you read on the net.

The fit and finish of the weapon are excellent.  Very tight with no rattles.  The upper has no visible exterior machining marks.

Thanks to all.

Sarge
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Bigger Hammer's info is so out of date as to be almost useless.  Tht "split A", which stands for Anchor Harvey, is the forge that is supplying the entire industry right now.  I've got that forge mark on a Bushmaster A4 sight bar, a Rock River upper and an Oly (I think) upper.

Whoever runs the Bigger Hammer web site is apparently too burned out to add anything to it.  I e mailed him 6 months ago that he needed to  add "K" (Kaiser) to the list of forges that built A1 type uppers for Colt; and you still won't find that on the forge list[:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top