Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 6:56:45 PM EDT
I just received my first 1200 round case of IMI M855 ammunition (been using SA M193).  I've noted that there seems to be dents here and there throughout the several 30 round boxes that I've inspected. Some of the dents are barely noticeable while others appear to be almost crushed.

I found this article:

www.impactsites2000.com/site3/m855.htm

that states:

"...from what I've seen of the M855 cartridge, they are the best rounds you can fire through the AR, but be careful. I have found several bad cartridges out of every batch of M855 that I have purchased. Be sure to check for dents in the shell casing before loading them..."

Is this to be expected from IMI?  I don't recall even one bad shell in all of the SA M193 I've ever had.  How bad of a dent is considered too bad to shoot?  Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a judgment call...

It depends on where the dents are located and how big the dents are.  If small and on the shoulder, and they chamber without any snags or reguire the use of the forward assist to lock the bolt, then you should be fine (If you need to use the forward assist, DON'T!!! Eject the round and try to chamber another round!).  If the dent is in the body, or the projectile is pushed/setback into the case, I would pass.

Post some pics of the worst rounds you have, and I'll tell you if I would run it through my Armalite M15A4.  

OR....just send any questionable IMI M855 to me and I'll test fire it for you. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's a judgment call...

It depends on where the dents are located and how big the dents are.  If small and on the shoulder, and they chamber without any snags or require the use of the forward assist to lock the bolt, then you should be fine (If you need to use the forward assist, DON'T!!! Eject the round and try to chamber another round!).  If the dent is in the body, or the projectile is pushed/setback into the case, I would pass.

Post some pics of the worst rounds you have, and I'll tell you if I would run it through my Armalite M15A4.  

OR....just send any questionable IMI M855 to me and I'll test fire it for you. [;)]
View Quote

Pictures of the dented rounds don't seem to come through in enough detail to be worth posting.

As I've gone through more and more boxes, it seems like the rounds in question may have been damaged in shipping.  They're isolated to one corner of the case and they seem to be the first few rounds facing the outside - I don't think I have a wide spread problem - very few that may be deemed unusable.

I'll just use my better judgement and evaluate each round when loading magazines - something I do anyway.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
What I do is fire rounds that have dents smaller than the tip if the M855 round.

If they are any bigger than that I dont shoot them.

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Judgement call,  

Grip it and rip it,  I bet there will be no dents in them after you shoot them.  I have ran many thru my m1a and although it is a different gun,  They always shoot & extract....  I guess thats why we have a forward assist on our gun huh.....

By the way, what was total cost on the ammo?

Prosise
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:35:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Judgement call,  

Grip it and rip it,  I bet there will be no dents in them after you shoot them.  I have ran many thru my m1a and although it is a different gun,  They always shoot & extract....  I guess thats why we have a forward assist on our gun huh.....

By the way, what was total cost on the ammo?

Prosise
View Quote

1200 rounds for $308.00 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Military ammo is not pretty.  I have seen dents in Lake City ammo also.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
wow, that seems a little expensive.  I thought you should be able to find it for around $200 for 1000 rnds.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It certainly is a bit expensive - I'm all ears to anyone who can find true M855 for less than $280.00 (before shipping) for 1200 rounds...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top