Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2003 6:16:29 PM EDT
As far as a security weapon, using Armalite as an example, would you get an AR-15, or an AR-10?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Security from what?

I myself prefer the .223 because it is lighter all around package. Easier to control under rapid fire as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Security from what?

I myself prefer the .223 because it is lighter all around package. Easier to control under rapid fire as well.
View Quote

I second VA-gunnut.  Although I do like a quality 7.62x51 for certain applications.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt use an AR-10 as a security gun for home invasion type stuff. I probably wouldnt use an AR-15 for a home invasion gun unless it was select fire. Tactical shotguns are still the best when it comes to home defense.

If you HAVE to use 7.62x51mm for security purposes YOU are probably in the wrong. If you want a .30+ calibre rifle for home defense get a Springfield 1903 or a KAR 98k and put a bayonet on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I should amend my post.

I meant that if you shoot someone at the range that most 7.62x51mm rifles are designed for (100+ yds) your probably in the wrong. Unless you work for the military of course.

I was/am under the impression that most police departments use shottys because they DONT overpenatrate. When I think shotgun I think "instant frontal lobotomy".

With a semi-auto AR-15 your only gonna put as mony shots into someone as fast as you can aim and pull the trigger. Shotguns are well... shotguns. Each mostly aimed shot is gonna hit something with a .33 calibre (I could be wrong) pellet/s. An AR-15 would only be fully effective if it was select fire (spray and pray).

I assume you mean for home defense of course.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry I should amend my post.

I meant that if you shoot someone at the range that most 7.62x51mm rifles are designed for (100+ yds) your probably in the wrong. Unless you work for the military of course.

I was/am under the impression that most police departments use shottys because they DONT overpenatrate. When I think shotgun I think "instant frontal lobotomy".

With a semi-auto AR-15 your only gonna put as mony shots into someone as fast as you can aim and pull the trigger. Shotguns are well... shotguns. Each mostly aimed shot is gonna hit something with a .33 calibre (I could be wrong) pellet/s. An AR-15 would only be fully effective if it was select fire (spray and pray).

I assume you mean for home defense of course.
View Quote

Even with a select fire weapon, spraying and praying is anot a wise tactic in justy about any situation.  The only time any type of spraying should occur is when layiong down suppression fire.  In every other circumstance semiauto or short and controlled bursts should be used when dealing with hostile targets.    The beauty of the AR/M16 family of weapons is thier acccuracy.  Spraying and praying with these weapons would be a complete waste of their effectiveness in a defensive situation.  

IMHO, the AR is an ideal home defense weapon.  It is accurate, it will not overpenetrate with the proper ammunition, sucha s XM193, and it will be extremely effective in stopping an attacker or home invader.  I think anyone who truly knows the qualities of the AR and knows how to use the rifle would have to agree, for the most part, that it is a great weapon for defense.  Also, anyone who knows the AR would never spray and pray, but used aimed and controlled fire.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#8]
 Wouldn't it be a wonderful world where you could whip out a Tommy gun in case of a home invasion of any kind and be totally vindicated?  Now THAT'S home defense!!!!

edited to say:  a REAL, select fire, nickle plated Thompson...with stabalized mammoth ivory stocks that bear some kind of inlaid Celtic knotwork..... and a matching "C" drum or two....ooooo-hoo-hoo!!!!!!!!! NOW THAT'S HOME DEFENSE!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the AR15 .223 carbine platform for all around use.  For home defense I have a .45 ACP on my bedside table.  In my vehcile a .45 ACP, CCW a .45 ACP.

If I was a sniper I would use a .308 bolt gun.  If I was sent to Afganistan I would want a FN FAL or an AR10 and plenty of backup.  [8D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IMHO, the AR is an ideal home defense weapon.  It is accurate, it will not overpenetrate with the proper ammunition, sucha s XM193, and it will be extremely effective in stopping an attacker or home invader.  I think anyone who truly knows the qualities of the AR and knows how to use the rifle would have to agree, for the most part, that it is a great weapon for defense.  Also, anyone who knows the AR would never spray and pray, but used aimed and controlled fire.
View Quote

I agree totally with knightone's statement.  One shot lethality increases, while risk of overpenetration decreases, with the use of tactical/frangible rounds like 60gr. Hornady TAP ammo....great stuff for H.D./urban applications.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The last part was meant as sarcasm/humour. Read the ENTIRE post next time.

I was advocating the use of a tactical shotty. Also I wouldnt argue about the one shot lethality of a shotgun.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world where you could whip out a Tommy gun in case of a home invasion of any kind and be totally vindicated? Now THAT'S home defense!!!!

edited to say: a REAL, select fire, nickle plated Thompson...with stabalized mammoth ivory stocks that bear some kind of inlaid Celtic knotwork..... and a matching "C" drum or two....ooooo-hoo-hoo!!!!!!!!! NOW THAT'S HOME DEFENSE!!!!!!
View Quote

Now thats an idea.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.223 or.308

As far as a security weapon, using Armalite as an example, would you get an AR-15, or an AR-10?
View Quote

Between those 2 choices, and not reading anything else into your question, the .308 would make me feel more secure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top