Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/3/2003 5:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 5:52:03 PM EDT by martyd]
i sighted my new RRA 16 INCH FLAT TOP IN YESTERDAY. WENT WILL. my brother has 20 acres were i shoot. there is always a 12 mph wind every time i shoot. never fails. question...... i shot 1/4 TO 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with 55 grain winchesters, 10 x power scope. just perfect. then when i go back to 100 yards i get the wind drift. group goes to hell. can i just leave MY SCOPE SETTING THE WAY IT IS AT 50 YARDS AND SAY THAT I HAVE A GREAT GROUP ? I REALLY DONT THINK I CAN INPROVE ON IT BY GOING BACK TO 100 YARDS, DO YOU GUYS ? I AM JUST SAYING IF YOUR GUN IS SHOOTING 1/2 GROUPS AT 50 YARDS IT SHOULD BE 1/2 GROUPS AT 100 YARDS. RIGHT ? THANKS. MARTY
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:07:25 PM EDT
I would take 5 minutes and focus on which way the wind is blowing. After you have dropped some grass, wet your finger and let it dry on one side, etc. you can eliminate the cross-wind factor by shooting with it or against it (preferably with it (down wind)). Make note of your results and determine if they are wind related or not... Happy shootin'
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:38:16 PM EDT
guys the wind always blows. we have a lot of slopes and hills close buy . i really cannot shoot with the wind because of safty reasons. so question is.......... if i shoot 1/2 groups at 50 yards will it shoot 1/2 groups at 100 yards with out making a move on thescope. thanks. marty
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:06:33 PM EDT
If you sight in so your group is zeroed, center of the bullseye, at 50 yds, with 1/2" groups, most probably your rifle will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards about 1 1/2"-1 3/4" high. This is OK. At 200 yds it will be back on the bullseye with a 2" group. At 250 yds, it will be about 3" low, with about 2 1/2" group. IF the wind is not bouncing you around. Until you can shoot in some no-wind conditions, I would leave it zeroed at 50 yds. When you can, shoot at 100 yds for about 1 1/2" high. Then move to 200 yds, and fine tune it to zero there. This will do it for 99% of your shots.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:14:07 PM EDT
.. if i shoot 1/2 groups at 50 yards will it shoot 1/2 groups at 100 yards with out making a move on thescope. thanks. marty
View Quote
It is possible but I would say your going to be over 1" at 100 yards if your shooting 1/2" at 50. I think there are many variables that you need to consider as well. Are you using match ammo, what grain ammo, quality in optics, trigger pull consistency. I found that I was pulling some shots to the right, which was resolved once I became accustomed to my trigger. I would recomend what I read here a couple months ago, very similar question. With your scope do some trigger exercises (dry firing your weapon), if you see your crosshairs move off to one side too much you need to get to know your trigger a bit. You will not hurt your gun dry firing it... Believe me, don't get that question started... Anyway, You need to look at the big picture about accuracy. If I was shooting nato milspec 55gr fmj and getting 1 to 2 inch groups at 100yds I would be satisfied. You might want to look into 62gr for your rifle, data shows it will be a bit more accurate for the 1x9.. also read this [url]http://ammo-oracle.com/[/url] it has a ton of good information... p.s. when i sighted my rifle in for the first time, i found that the crosshairs on my 10x weaver scope actually would cover up the target I was shooting at. FYI- my weaver is 30+ yrs old, and the bullseye on my target was pretty small... Is the target hard to see behind your crosshairs at 100yds... Prosise
Top Top