Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/3/2003 12:18:33 PM EDT
I have a 20" Standard Bushmaster XM15-E2S A2

I am going to install a RRA match trigger and a hogue grip.

I would also like to free float my barrel, but I know nothing about that at all. I just know it improves accuracy. While searching for the hogue grip, I notice that there is a package that contains the hogue grip and a free floating forend from houge.

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/699132

Does anyone know about this? Is it easy to install, or will i screw up my AR doing this. will I need special tools?

Any help about this issue is much appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 12:36:50 PM EDT by Gunzilla]
I rather like the Hogue front tube... the quality of work is excellent and the tube is very sturdy. I have a particular model AR that is popular with rural officers and I use a modified Hogue tube on it, no complaints do far. The rubber grip is nice, installation is pretty straight forward, not unlike any of the other free-float tubes (have to remove front sight, need a vice clamp for the receiver or barrel and a barrel wrench/torque wrench). Down side... not much for ventilation/cooling, but not really a big deal with semi-autos. Like most all F-F tubes, not pratical to remove for cleaning (I coat everything under the tube to prevent rust and make it easy to clean with a spray can). The OD is 2" (standard), I sort of like a little bigger tube, but the rubber grip is worth the trade off, IMHO. Do not try to remove the rubber to refinish the tube! It is a nightmare... just trust me on this, local sheriff's dept just HAD to have OD Green finish on their guns -- it looks good though. HIH
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 1:17:55 PM EDT by Minuteman419]
I've had the Hogue Grip and FF Tube for some time now and have enjoyed mine. The last upper the FF tube was on had a gas block only and the tube would come off over it. I found out however, that the Hogue mounting nut would not fit over a RRA-Wilson heavy stainless barrel that I had purchased. I reamed the hole out in the nut with a brake hone in a drill wrapped with 60 grit wet or dry sandpaper. The best by far tool I have ever used on the barrel nut is a Strap Filter Wrench, this one is made by Rigid. Good Luck MM419
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:21:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Minuteman419: The best by far tool I have ever used on the barrel nut is a Strap Filter Wrench, this one is made by Rigid. Good Luck MM419
View Quote
Good point... mine is Craftsman, gotta support Sears for their helping out military reserves. [url]www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp[/url]
Top Top