Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2003 9:19:10 AM EDT
I'm going to order a new Pre Ban Bushmaster Complete Upper with the ARMS SIR Military System.

What would be better for this set up?

Heavy 16" Threaded Barrel so I would be able to used different Screw on Flash Hiders, Suppressors ETC?

Or

14.5 M4 Barrel with a Permanely Attached Phantom?

Let me know which would be the Best Barrel to go with on the SIR System?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would go with the latter choice which is the 14.5" barrel with permanently attatched Phantom.  If you get an HBar with SIR, your AR might be too heavy in the front.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
14.5 M4 barrel

Its lighter, and although its based on looks only, I dont like the full 16" barrels with all the length hanging out in front of the sight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You could always throw on one of those Barrel covering Fake Silencers on the 16" to cover up the Barrel?

What you think?

Thanks..

[img]http://atlas.imagemagician.com/images/felloffthetruck/sup.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Toy vs. Tool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
True but the 16" has the Threads on the end of the barrel that you could always attach a real Suppressor or other Flsah Hiders on?

The 14.5 with Phantom permanely attached is all there will ever be?

I'm leaning towards the 14.5 M4 myself but was thinking about the Options with the Threaded 16" ?

Such a hard Choice to make?

Also I want Chrome lined barrel buy what Twist is the Best 1/7   1/9 or ?

What Ya Think ?  Thanks..
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
1/9 if you plan on sticking with surplus 55gr loads

1/7 if you want to go with high end  loads heavier than 68gr that have the best long range accuracy and terminal effects.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Edited to delete the original post, just read the entire thread and had no idea you were talking about toys... sorry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
14.5 with the kkf
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
If you go with a 14.5" M4 with phantom, count on a loooooong wait. I've had just the barrel on order for going on 7 weeks and they still won't give me a ship date. The word from them is, military and LE orders take priority on all preban configurations and the M4 is the most popular mil/LE barrel.

Just an FYI

LF
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I called Bushmaster today and they said 3-4 Weeks Max?

You have been waiting 7 weeks already for just the Barrel?

Wow !! [:(]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I called Bushmaster today and they said 3-4 Weeks Max?

You have been waiting 7 weeks already for just the Barrel?

Wow !! [:(]
View Quote

It depends on whether you hit the production cycle just right or not. I was originally told a week to 10 days... that didn't happen, so I called and was told they were now running about 6 weeks behind (I didn't get the name of the guy I talked to the first time, so I had to accept the new time table)... it's been almost 7 now. You might just get lucky and get one sooner, but ya never know.

LF
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
You would think they would have Barrels and Stuff Laying around and ready to ship ??

I guess NOT !!!!

I'll soon find out how good that 3-4 weeks is!!!!  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go with the 16". I may be in the minority, but I prefer to have the option of having a suppressor rather than a permanent mod.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You would think they would have Barrels and Stuff Laying around and ready to ship ??

I guess NOT !!!!

I'll soon find out how good that 3-4 weeks is!!!!  [:0]
View Quote

To be fair to BM, we have been in two wars, back to back, and all those Orange Alerts have LEOs and NG units sucking the market dry. Add in North Korea and Iran and I'm sure the military is getting stocked up with spare parts. I think BM gets their barrels or blanks from another company, so they are likely not getting as many as they would like.

Best of luck with your order, I'm sure it'll end up being more than worth the wait.

LF
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks and I have No Choice but to wait !!!!

I love that Bushy Stuff !!! [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad you've had to wait so long for your order.

I ordered a Pre-Ban M4 1:7 twist w/phantom from Bushmaster and it took about 5-6 weeks.

I guess the way I look at it I don't mind knowing it's going to be Bushmaster quality and that there's a lot going on right now in the world.
Best,
Sec1Ops
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this thing for real? Doesnt it seem Just a little unsafe. But then again I dont know about this piece.

Quoted:
You could always throw on one of those Barrel covering Fake Silencers on the 16" to cover up the Barrel?

What you think?

Thanks..

[url]http://atlas.imagemagician.com/images/felloffthetruck/sup.jpg[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks and I have No Choice but to wait !!!!

I love that Bushy Stuff !!! [bounce]
View Quote

Another FYI, I just got off the phone with BM and was told the wait is now up to as much as 8 weeks for non-LE/Mil orders on preban 14.5" M4s. The word is that mine MIGHT ship at the end of the month, but they would not commit to that.

The wait keeps getting longer every time I call... Wonder if we are about to open another front somewhere????

Oh well...

LF
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd go with the M4 profile 14.5 or a 16" lightweight barel w/ the SIR.There's no need for a heavy barrel on a carbine w/ the SIR.If you're serious about putting a suppressor on your AR, just get a different upper for that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top