Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 8:50:00 PM EDT
Here's a pic of my ten year old daughter shooting my M4 today at the range:

You can see a quicktime video of her shooting it, too!

This was done today at the range with my new camera, and I figured what a great way to test it out!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
She looks like she's REALLY concentrating, doesn't she? What, no mention of how she liked it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Good observation, and good point.

She concentrates a lot on her shooting: she has it in her mind that she wants to be competetive, and wants to be an olympic marksman.  She just started shooting within the past few months, and already, was hitting all black with my M4 at 50 yards.  With her Walther P22, she was doing okay, but since I just bought it for her yesterday, she has a LOT of practice time ahead of her before she gets good.  At 7 yards, she was hitting all paper, and most of it in the black (about 70%).

As for how she likes it?  SHE LOVES IT!  She can't wait to go again: just before she went to sleep, she came and slung her arms around me and asked in her sweetest voice and cutest smile if we could do it again tomorrow.  I just might have to take her out again...  [;)]

Here's a pic of her with her Walther:

[img]http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/albums/userpics/2003-06-02/normal_2003-06-02%20005.jpg[/img]

I was very proud of both of my kids today on the range.  They were taking turns shooting the Walther, and had a very safe, very strict routine that they developed very quickly:

While one shot, the other loaded their magazine.  Then, as the pistol ran out, one would unload the magazine, place the pistol on safe, and hand it to the other, all the while pointing the muzzle downrange.  Then, the other would load their magazine, release the slide, take the pistol off safe, and then commence shooting.  Then, the changeover process would take place over again.  They did this steadily for about two and a half hours.  I was beaming as a proud dad; they fired off about 400 rounds today, and were concentrating and shooting well while really having fun and enjoying themselves.

This is something my dad passed on to me, and I'm proud to be passing on to my kids.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Edge, she looks like a future Marine to me.  Don't you agree?  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, yes, she was wearing the eye protection.  Oddly enough, she took it off prior to both sets of pictures.  I didn't notice she did it during the pistol shooting, but I did notice it after taking the pictures of her with the M4: the glasses are on the table next to her.

Bad girl, and bad daddy for not getting her to put them back on right away.

BUT I'm proud of her...

As for the USMC... if she decides to become a  Marine in the future, the only advice I'd give her is to go Officer.  I was enlisted, and I don't wish that on my daughter!  [ROFL2]  Funny how what's good enough for us isn't good for our kids!

I'd be proud of her if she did decide to go, however.  She's got a free ride to college courtesy of me and Mom, but once she's 18, it's her life.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
...finally, the video d/loaded (dial-up's the shit, I tell ya!). Edge, I somehow get the impression that she ain't gonna be satisfied until you slap a varmint upper on that thing, as careful as she's aiming.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job Edge! [^]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice daddy! [:D]

Oh, and you might need a pre-ban carbine for your daughter too, you know...collapsable stock might be more comfortable for her. Or at least entry stock.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As for how she likes it?  SHE LOVES IT!  She can't wait to go again: just before she went to sleep, she came and slung her arms around me and asked in her sweetest voice and cutest smile if we could do it again tomorrow.  I just might have to take her out again...  [;)]

View Quote
[>(] Have to say I got a lump in my throat there. I can't wait til my daughter is old enough to go shooting with me. Of course I'm enjoying her as an 18 month old.

Also have to add along with MaverickMkii. Stupid "Assault weapons ban!!!" A collapsible stock would be great for the kids.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
You should be proud Edge
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, I wish [i]my[/i] dad was cool enough to let me play with a M4 when I was ten years old...

I had to settle for two Uzis when I was eight.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice Job Edge...It's always nice to see parents teaching their kids respect for firearms, and not fear.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!!  I take my 12yr old to the range quite ofter so he can show up the old man. I tie off small balloons, about 3" dia at 50yds. He can drill them, I can hardly see them. That small a target is pretty challenging, especially when it can move a little in the wind. Good job!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Silly question.  Why isn't she wearing her eye protection in any of the pictures?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Silly question.  Why isn't she wearing her eye protection in any of the pictures?
View Quote

Don't want to sound like a bummer, but yea, why no eyewear?  I know for a fact, that if you rapid fire your walther p22 it will rain brass on your head.  

But I do have to admit, wish my dad took me shooting when I was 10, and you rock for that.

Best of luck to you and your kids.  They will grow up respecting guns.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys!

About the stock: I am seriously considering getting a pre-ban for the adjustable stock.  As you noted, it would make her eye relief much better, and give her an even better shooting experience.

As for the eye protection, I'll just copy what I wrote earlier:

Well, yes, she was wearing the eye protection. Oddly enough, she took it off prior to both sets of pictures. I didn't notice she did it during the pistol shooting, but I did notice it after taking the pictures of her with the M4: the glasses are on the table next to her.

Bad girl, and bad daddy for not getting her to put them back on right away.
View Quote

I really feel bad about that.  I get on her all the time to put it back on.  The problem is, she says her hearing protection doesn't work as well with them on.  My solution is going to be to get her different hearing protection, but her ears are so tiny (she only weighs 50 lbs; TINY for a ten year old) I haven't been able to find any that will fit INSIDE her ear holes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Good job Edge...my dad hated guns...I guess he got enough of them in places like France, Belgium, and Germany from about June 1944 to April 1945 hehehe...so he never took me shooting.  It's great that your daughter is interested, and that you're teaching her right.  In addition to the collapsable stock, you might look at those stubby tactical entry stocks...they might be perfect for a smaller shooter.  

I took my GF's 12 year old nephew to the range...took all kinds of pics of him shooting the SARs, and ARs...I think he was elevated to "God" status at school when his buds saw those pics a few days later lol.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
What does her Tshirt say?

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Edge,

I was out with my 5 year old today and have come to the conclusion that she is going to need to use the prebans or my duty rifle with the adjustable stock.  Or I might just build up a 16" with an entry stock.  I remember you built a few recently, have you thought about using the shorter entry stock?  I'm trying to think if there would be a downside to it, but I can't come up with one.  As mine get a little older I am going to build assigned rifles for them.  This way there is no excuses when it is inspection time!

Great job and cute kid (from another Dad).  

PS-I started my daughter coloring line drawings of AR15 parts when she was 3, now she is good on all the parts!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I dream of meeting a woman who's father taught her how to build and shoot an AR! I am TOTALLY jealous of your future son-in-law.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Great Pictures and great dad! I bought my 10yr daughter & 6yr old son a 22 Cricket for X-mas and took them shooting one day and I brought along a preban Bushmaster to site in a new optic I had put on it. Well after they shot about 50rds throught the Cricket I told them to sit in the truck while I sighted in the Bushy. After I got done with the sight in they jumped out of the truck and asked if they could shoot it. So they ended up shooting about 75rds with the Bushmaster and now they don't want anything to do with the little 22, they want to shoot the "big" rifle. Don't forget to sign her up for the NRA.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Just dont post pics of her with the M4 when she hits the teens...you'll get hook up requests [shock]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I really feel bad about that.  I get on her all the time to put it back on.  The problem is, she says her hearing protection doesn't work as well with them on.  My solution is going to be to get her different hearing protection, but her ears are so tiny (she only weighs 50 lbs; TINY for a ten year old) I haven't been able to find any that will fit INSIDE her ear holes.
View Quote

Both of my kids started going with me to the range when they were about four so I understand the hearing protection problems.

Suggestions:
Try Peltor ear muffs, they seem to deform around glasses better than Silencio/Safety Direct's.

Silencio/Safety Direct sells youth sized eye protection as does Norton.

Norton also sell non-disposable earplugs for kids.  The problem that I have is that even though the plugs fit, my kids whine. At 12 and 10 they don't understand that sometimes you just have to put up with a little discomfort.

You could also try metal framed sunglasses with impact resistant lenses.  The temples will deform under the ear muffs.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Great job Edge, you should be proud. Way to raise em up!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#24]
What a great shootin' buddy to have! That makes for great memories---
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, what a good time. You should be very proud. Nothing like a day at the range with the family. Good times, good times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#26]
[Jimbilushi]How much for the little girl?[/Jimbilushi] [LOL]  .....J/King   Looks like a well adjusted young lady!.........."I SAID BUY SOME F'ING GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!"...[ROFL].................UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Edge,
Good job!  My 7 y/o son goes with me to the range as well.  I have a Bushy pre-ban M-4 and with the compact stock, he seems to do real well.  

I have four Mega Lowers that I have already started to make plans for builds when the ban goes away then he will have his own.

Again, great job!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
What??? Did anyone notice that with each shot the glasses shifted???

And you got one helluva kid there. I couldn't concentrate that well over an AR when I first shot one - how does she do it??
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dream of meeting a woman who's father taught her how to build and shoot an AR! I am TOTALLY jealous of your future son-in-law.
View Quote

Ha, the woman's father I am going out with was in a FBI SWAT team.. He never took her out shooting, but got to handle and play with MP5s a lot... I'm jealous, and she's excited about the Kalifornia-Legal AR-15 I'm getting.

Ahh, I praise her dad for not bringing her up at a gun-grabber, plus he's a hilarious guy.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to all of you!!!

Her shirt says, "Fondren Park Girls Softball is #1" on the back, and "Munchkins" on the front.  [ROFL]

I'll try to find that youth hearing protection and hopefully that will help her keep on the eye protection!

As for my future son-in-law being lucky, perhaps he might be, but he'll also have a former Marine as a father-in-law!  I guess that kind of evens things out a bit, eh?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Always good to see another parent teaching the young ones the sport and love of firearms.

Doesn't hurt it may save her life one day. [:D]

btw, she's cute as a button.  Obviously takes after her mom.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#32]
btw, she's cute as a button. Obviously takes after her mom.
View Quote

THANK GOD!!!  This is how I look now:

[img]http://www.burnerblog.com/images/edge03.gif[/img]

It sure would be scary if her looks took after me!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Give her time, she will look like you in her fifties.  For that matter, all women look like you in their fifites. [:D]

[peep]

Could be worse, you could have my mug.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#34]
All women in their 50s have red beards?!?!?

/me runs screaming into traffic

[;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
btw, she's cute as a button. Obviously takes after her mom.
View Quote

THANK GOD!!!  This is how I look now:

[url]http://www.burnerblog.com/images/edge03.gif[/url]

It sure would be scary if her looks took after me!
View Quote

This picture looks like a serial killer I saw on the news once.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Edge,

Uh-oh, now that your photo is out, beware of those Photoshopping scoundrels! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh boy... I forgot all about that! [ROFL]

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All women in their 50s have red beards?!?!?

/me runs screaming into traffic
View Quote

[LOLabove]

My side... it hurts.. the pain!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Good to see others are introducing their children to shooting sports as I am. I think all will agree gun safety should always be the top priority with the kids (adults too for that matter)
My 11yo son has his own Ruger 10/22 and Glock model 34 (9mm) handgun. I'm considering picking up a preban AR15 government model for him to shoot as well. That decision being made after he fired one round through my AK-47 then turned to me and said "here you can have it back Dad"..... (ouch!)
He uses regular shooting glasses rather generic safety glasses as they are thinner and designed to go under the earmuffs. Also we both use electronic muffs in order to carry on normal conversation while shooting

Here in this area the Rio Salado Range has a good rifle club for kids http://users.cableaz.com/~jrshooting/juniors.htm

He has also expressed some interest in the IPSC shooting with his Glock http://ipsc.org/psguide.htm

Happy Shooting -RR
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Wah, you made me downoald quicktime.

Very cool.  I can't wait to teach my kids how to shoot.  They're in diapers at the moment....
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Great job and cute kid (from another Dad).  

PS-I started my daughter coloring line drawings of AR15 parts when she was 3, now she is good on all the parts!
View Quote

Now that's what I call really breaking them in early.
Tom
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top