Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 10:41:38 AM EDT
New to the board, but I haven't been able to find any discussions on how to make an AR-15 in 7.62X39 caliber.

My son brought over a Model 1 kit and a lower from Stinger Arms. He put it together in about thirty minutes, in .223, and it is a fine rifle. The only thing is that I now want one in 7.62.

Model 1 has a kit for the Standard 20" in 7.62, but I don't know if the lowers that come from Stinger/Mega will work with them, nor if the standard .223 magazines will work.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated very much. Wade
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:49:18 AM EDT
yes they will
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:00:43 PM EDT
Hi RidgeRider, Welcome to the board.... The differences in a 7.62x39 and the .223 is the barrel and the bolt... The carrier is the same for both calibers. You could swap out the barrel, but you would need a few tools to do it. A barrel wrench and a set of vise blocks for the receiver. If your not to familer I would opt to get a complete 7.62x39 upper... This would give you the ease of interchangeablity, but use the same lower... As for the mags, a 20rd ar15 mag will accept about 6 or 7 rounds. The mag is the weak link in the 7.62x39 set up IMHO. There are one style of mag that I have had good luck with. A mag made by USA (yes USA, the only mag that worked) which has a straight ar top or tower welded to a AK style mag. The tapered round is a bit for the straight magwell of the AR15 to digest... USA made 20rd and 30rd versions of the mag. I see where they are going for about $50 each these days... Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to email me... [email]oldedantucker@hotmail.com[/email]
Top Top