Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2003 10:41:38 AM EDT
New to the board, but I haven't been able to find any discussions on how to make an AR-15 in 7.62X39 caliber.

My son brought over a Model 1 kit and a lower from Stinger Arms. He put it together in about thirty minutes, in .223, and it is a fine rifle. The only thing is that I now want one in 7.62.

Model 1 has a kit for the Standard 20" in 7.62, but I don't know if the lowers that come from Stinger/Mega will work with them, nor if the standard .223 magazines will work.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated very much. Wade
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
yes they will
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi RidgeRider,

Welcome to the board....

The differences in a 7.62x39 and the .223 is the barrel and the bolt... The carrier is the same for both calibers. You could swap out the barrel, but you would need a few tools to do it. A barrel wrench and a set of vise blocks for the receiver. If your not to familer I would opt to get a complete 7.62x39 upper... This would give you the ease of interchangeablity,  but use the same lower...

As for the mags, a 20rd ar15 mag will accept about 6 or 7 rounds. The mag is the weak link in the 7.62x39 set up IMHO. There are one style of mag that I have had good luck with. A mag made by USA (yes USA, the only mag that worked) which has a straight ar top or tower welded to a AK style mag. The tapered round is a bit for the straight magwell of the AR15 to digest... USA made 20rd and 30rd versions of the mag. I see where they are going for about $50 each these days...

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to email me...

[email][email protected][/email]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top