Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 9:36:18 PM EDT
In a hurry to get going last weekend, jumped in my truck and slid the seat back with out looking what was behind it...CRUNCH!  Took a chip out of the carry handle of my A2!  I get so pissed off at my self when I do stupied shit like this.  Had I taken the time to put the rifle away in it's case....would not have happend.  Had I taken the time to look behind my seat, I would have noticed that the rifle was laying on the floor board of the back seat.  Damn, 5 days ago and I am still pissed about it.  Anybody else ever do dumb shit like this?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Check this out.. Whan I was 15 my dad bought me a brand new Remington 1100 semi auto 12 GA. Beautifully figured stock.. Went out to try it (wearing my Colt Combat Commander) Dad bought me this one too, also a certified gun nut.. Shot from the hip, butt caught the hammer on my 1911 and split the stock all the way up to the reciever. Didnt say a word to me.. just gave me the look..I still cringe (its been 17 years)..
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I can honestly say Ive never dropped, banged, or otherwise mutilated a rifle in my life.

Dont know about NM but in most states if your carrying around an unsecured (read: not in a locked case or on a gun rack) rifle in your truck the cops will light into you like theres no tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Dont know about NM but in most states if your carrying around an unsecured (read: not in a locked case or on a gun rack) rifle in your truck the cops will light into you like theres no tomorrow.
View Quote

NM:  Vehicle is a exstension of your home. Gun can be anywhere in any condition in vehicle. Wasnn't driving around anyway, just moving the truck around.  Lessons learned... 2  1. Pay Attention.  2.  As fun as it sounds, don't try to squezze AR shooting, and racing dirtbikes into same trip.

DOH!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
In a word... nope.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless being transported in their proper cases, my rifles stay locked up in the safe where they belong.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks, I feel for you.
I remember watching a friend of mine fvck up his vintage Gibson Les Paul.
Forgot he was under a ceiling fan one day while we were jamming, while taking it off over his head,
the headstock got seriously chunked up by the spinning fan blades!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a lil combat damage to me.  I dont mind bumps and scrapes and stuff on my AR.  Its a battle rifle....its ment to take abuse.  got pics?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
About 10 years ago a buddy and me went shooting and brought about 10 guns.  He was anxious to try out his new hunting rifle that his dad had passed down to him.  I forget what it was now but it was in very nice shape.  Anyway we shoot and have a good ol time load up the guns and leave.  Get home to find out his rifle got left up there.  We raced back into the woods to get the gun and it was gone.  Someone had come to pick up the brass and got a nice suprise.  We still talk about that story.  NOW THAT SUCKS !!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That sucks, I feel for you.
I remember watching a friend of mine fvck up his vintage Gibson Les Paul.
Forgot he was under a ceiling fan one day while we were jamming, while taking it off over his head,
the headstock got seriously chunked up by the spinning fan blades!

~ s0ulzer0
View Quote

[>(]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#11]
 Was out with my Anschutz 64MS many years ago just practicing and set the rifle on the sandbag on the hood of my car when I went to set up a few more small targets.  Whilst I was downrange a slight breeze came up and cause the rifle to tip from its rest.  From there it slid off the hood of my car, landed on the barrel then bounced violently the opposite direction and bounced again on the toe of the stock thereby cracking the pistol grip.....I was sick about that for days.  I was actually able to repair the stock to the point that you can't tell there was ever any damage and it only hit the edge of the barrel, thank God, so there was no crown damage.  Still shoots like a dream.  WHEW!!!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
When it come to my Guns I would NEVER do anything that Stupid !!!!!
How could you just throw your AR15 behing the seat of your truck without being in a case or something to start with !!!!! [puke]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#13]
After a hunting trip, I grabbed the shotgun case out of my truck.  I hadn't zipped the case shut, and my shotgun slid out, landed on the toe of the stock and broke off a nice piece.  Also, my daughter threw a pillow across the room to me.  She missed by about 5 feet, but managed to hit my mint Gibson 335 guitar, knock it off the stand, and right into the glass of the door going out to the deck.  Lots of chips and scrapes on the headstock....I'm STILL pissed about that one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The carry handle can be easily repaired by a couple of methods. The best way is to get some of those aluminum soldering rods and fill in the missing material. Sand/file as needed to restore shape/profile. Paint with baking lacquer. At worst you'll have to paint the whole upper to make it look right. The same method can be used on any part of the upper or lower receivers except critical areas, and may even work for those, but I haven't tried it. Another way is to fill the area with epoxy, like 'J B Weld' and finish as above.
To answer your question, yes, no matter how careful or prepared, each and every one of us does this kind of thing every once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sounds like a lil combat damage to me.  I dont mind bumps and scrapes and stuff on my AR.  Its a battle rifle....its ment to take abuse.  got pics?
View Quote

I agree. Its a combat weapon. Guns were meant to shoot, not to keep in a gun cabinet. It gives them "charactor" when you bump and scrape them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds like a lil combat damage to me.  I dont mind bumps and scrapes and stuff on my AR.  Its a battle rifle....its meant to take abuse.  got pics?
View Quote

I agree. Its a combat weapon. Guns were meant to shoot, not to keep in a gun cabinet.
View Quote

Yup, that's why AR's don't have figured wood stocks and fancy engraved receivers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I once leaned a Ruger 77/22 against the fender of my pickup and the wind blew it over. Nice gravel pattern on the side of the stock. It sanded out, but I was so pissed that I didn't touch the rifle again for about five years.
I ruined a scope by dropping it. I had the rifle in a case and was just walking from the tailgate of my pickup to the passenger door. The case was very old and the handle broke causing the whole thing to come crashing down. Scope was ruined. Rifle was OK.
I went deer hunting a couple years ago and took a shotgun along in case I got my deer early I could do some duck hunting. As it turned out, it took me 14 days to get my deer. The shotgun was sitting in a tent for two weeks. When I got home, I opened the case and the shotgun was covered with light rust. I almost had to be medicated. But, a oily rag made it almost unnoticable. Almost.

I use all my guns. But I don't feel that is any reason to abuse them. If I get a nick on any of them, I feel bad about it. A lot of my guns have been on many hunting trips for weeks on end, handguns have been carreied, everything as been shot a lot, but only a few have marks on them. I am really careful about how I treat my guns. I actually have a local reputation for being very anal about the care of my guns. I once put a rifle for sale on consignment at the local gun dealer. A guy bought it and then came back and said there was something wrong with it. The store owner was not in, he had a local guy who is on disability running the store. The guy said, I dont even have to look at it, I know who owned it and I can tell you for certain that there is nothing wrong with it. He was right, operator error.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can honestly say Ive never dropped, banged, or otherwise mutilated a rifle in my life.

View Quote
Actually in NY as far as I know if the gun and magazines are unloaded it's perfectly legal. I have been pulled over with an unloaded rifle loose in my truck and the Trooper didn't say anything (it was obviously unloaded as the bolt was back).

Not a good way to transport a gun in any event as it's subject to damaged and flying around in an accident or quick stop.
View Quote

I didnt say it was illegal. :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Dumb stuff?  Flames from me??  Not a chance, my friend.  When you look up dumb stuff in the dictionary you'd find my name!  

Just look on this board for my posts under "Safety fell out...." and you'll see a great example of dumb.

Know whut?  By sharing your experiences we all learn from our mistakes.  After all, Billy Joel said it best - We're only human, we're supposed to make mistakes!

Press on.

Mike  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When it come to my Guns I would NEVER do anything that Stupid !!!!!
How could you just throw your AR15 behing the seat of your truck without being in a case or something to start with !!!!! [puke]
View Quote

Thanks dude, that really makes me feel better.  BTW I never said I just threw it behind the seat now did i? JA!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
i shot a 44mag carbine next to my AR and the brass ejected and hit the carry handle on my AR..left a shiny spot on it.  i think that's about the worst thing so far.

guitars;  when i was in a band i had just bought a nice ibanez 7 string for $900.  put it in a stand on the floor, foot caught on the strap and the guitar crashed down face first onto the concrete floor.  i don't know how nothing happened but i cringed for weeks about that one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sounds like a lil combat damage to me.  I dont mind bumps and scrapes and stuff on my AR.  Its a battle rifle....its meant to take abuse.  got pics?
View Quote

I agree. Its a combat weapon. Guns were meant to shoot, not to keep in a gun cabinet.
View Quote

Yup, that's why AR's don't have figured wood stocks and fancy engraved receivers.
View Quote

I have the same issue with mags.  Some people love the whole RE-FINNISHED mags and such.  i dont give a flip what they look like or the color of follower it has, as long as it functions properly.  all my mags are bumped and scraped up too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Speaking of safety, I usually let kids play around with my loaded 1911 instead of leaving it in the safe. They really enjoy playing cowboy and indian with a loaded AR.  Something about the sound just makes them laugh and that makes me happy.

For those of you who can't take a joke............then go to hell.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Speaking of safety, I usually let kids play around with my loaded 1911 instead of leaving it in the safe. They really enjoy playing cowboy and indian with a loaded AR.  Something about the sound just makes them laugh and that makes me happy.

For those of you who can't take a joke............then go to hell.
View Quote

wtf???  Whats this have to do with the price of beans in china?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Why do you even have a safe? Oh that's right, you let them play magician with it...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#27]
A friend of mine took his nephews out to sight in their new 243 deer rifle. They sand baged the rifle on the hood of the uncles brand new HD 2500 Silverado. After several shots and no target hits, the uncle grabbed the gun and said let me try. He reset the gun and BLAMMO. Shot the truck, and killed it. The bullet went into the hood and struck the wiring harness and shorted it out. He had that fixed and put white caulk in the hole.

Think before you shoot, or do anything else with a gun.
Have a great day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Everyone take a chill pill!  There are two types of shooters, them that have f'd up and those that are going to f up.  Oops, there is one more, them that won't admit it.

If you drive a car long enough you'll get a ticket or get in an accident.  Party with enough persons of the opposite sex and someone's going to get pregnant or catch something.
s--- happens.  Let's learn from it and pray no one ever gets hurt learning lessons.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
once i ws hunting deer in eastern NC and a friend bagged a good size buck with his 30-06 remington 7400.  we got the deer in the back of his truck and he was so excited he took of with the remington laying on his tailgate.  it hit the road and splintered.  it was sickening.  s0ulzer0, a friend and i were in a band and we played a gig at a prison - no, we weren't in for anything.  it was a christian rock band - and one of the inmates was helping us pack up and picked up his guitar case.  it was unlatched and his vintage les paul deluxe (smaller p/u's than the standard) hit the pavement flat on its face (?).  that, too, was sickening.  and the poor guy that did it felt like crap but what could he do?  it happens.      
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok, here's one.  Bunch of buddies and I were doing some fairly organized shooting/training way east of San Diego (20 years ago).  We decided to try some hip shooting with the shotguns at steel plates to see just how f***ed up an idea it was.  Sure enough, barely any pellets on steel.  So, with my now empty Mossberg 500 I charge the plate and proceed to buttstroke it since I had failed to neutralize it with the loud end.  Crack.  Split a chip off at the top of the wrist where it met the receiver.  I fixed it with epoxy and it was no big deal, but I decided then and there that buttstroking steel was a bad idea.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#31]
This is why, when I buy anything new, I take it outside and toss it right onto the pavement. Just to get it over with. [:p]

Merc
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
When I was 13 I "borrowed" my dads Brand New Rem 7400 w/Loopie 3x9 and went deer hunting. I wanted to use it because I had missed a long shot with my Win 94 the day before..and of course, it was the guns fault.
I climbed up into my tree stand, got situated, layed the rifle across my lap...and it promptly slid off into oblivion. I tried to sacrifice my body and dive for it but I wasn't fast enough..it was gone. Nothing to do but wait for the sound of impact.
Needless to say, gravity was working well that day and the sound did come.
That rifle fell about 20 feet bouncing off the tree and branches all the way, then landed on the leaves with a pronounced "thud".
I climbed down and picked it up, expecting the worst. Unbelievably, I could find no damage that couldn't be wiped off.
I went home, placed it back exactly where it was, got my 30-30 and went back to my stand...feeling incredibly lucky.

Three days later dad came home after an evening hunt and declared that he missed a huge 8 point buck at under 50yds. He couldn't understand what happend...but I knew.

I "suggested" that he go down to the gravel pit and sight it in again....he did, and what do you know, it was off by about 10 inches!
Wonder how that could have happened?
I hope dad doesn't read this or my ass is grass.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top