Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/31/2003 9:11:58 AM EDT
I just bought an older Essential Arms AR which needs a refinish. I saw a few Colt's on gunbroker that sported an "Electroless Nickel Finish" and am wondering if anyone knows how to do these, or is a professional refinisher with the equipment to do this. What is everyone's opinion on the nickel finish as opposed to using GunKote or an anodized black matted finish?

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:51:50 AM EDT
As the onetime owner of the pistol below, I will have to say that the Robar NP3® finish (Teflon™/nickel)on this "Pimp Mobile" was sure easy to clean! It did attract WAY TOO MUCH attention from elements of our society that would probably hold their Glocks sideways while shooting. [img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135oa93.jpg[/img] Sold for C3 toys. -TF
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:30:48 PM EDT
EN has a fairly bright metallic appearance unless topcoated with something else, and for that reason I don't particularly like it for a weapon finish. On the plus side, it is fairly hard and wear-resistant, but a good blow from something sharp will "burnish-scratch" it, but it cannot be touched up. As far as corrosion resistance, on carbon steel it will provide from 48 to 72 hours of ASTM B-117 Neutral pH Salt Spray. Unfinished steel will develop rust in 2 to 4 hours. Ordinary gun blueing will go 4 to 12 hours, well-oiled phosphate will do from 48 to 96. Some of the organic moly-PTFE coatings are about the same, 48 to 96 hrs. Noah
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:51:00 PM EDT
Electroless nickle is gold colored. You want a gold colored AR? [puke]
Top Top