Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2003 3:50:12 PM EDT
Anyone know a a decent spotting scope that I can attach to a really good camera tripod that I already have?  Can't see where I am hitting at the range with my iron sights until I go get the target.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
kowa spotting scopes are great! They are quite
expensive, but as with most things you get what you pay for. There are also photo adapters
and camera mounts sold for them. Go to www.champchoice.com and look at what they offer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently went thru this and to get the best bang for your buck I think Nikon did it for me.  I also have a little helpfull hint for you.  [url]www.streetprices.com[/url] will find the cheapest on the internet for you,  They only do electronics, optics etc.  Check them out when you find the exact model number you want.  ALso, not on the subject but you can do the same thing with computer components at [url]www.pricewatch.com[/url]..  I have used many spotting scopes and you can definitely tell the really good ones from the bad ones. You can easily attach a nikon to a camera.  You might have to research that though.  Most of the upper end jobs have a removable aperature to dock an adapter to for yuour camera.  I went with the nikon & I can see my bullet holes just fine.   I have not looked into using it with my nikon digital camera though,  I will let you know...

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Scope out the OPTICS section:
[url]http://www.snipercountry.com/inreview.htm#Optics[/url]

Dave S
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Burris 20-60 power. It is their "bargain" spotting scope. (supposedly not waterproof...)

CRYSTAL clear, and plenty of light! I think it was about $240, but I forget from where...

DO NOT waste your time with a $40 jobbie from CDNN. I had a 20-60 simmonds from them, and it sucked. Wouldn't focus, and was really dark.

[red]ALSO, DID YOU KNOW THERE IS AN "OPTICS" FORUM?[/red]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a Burris Landmark 15-45x60 from Natchez for $139.00  It has fully multi-coated lenses and is extremely clear. At max magnification the exit pupil gets pretty small (60mm/45=l.33mm) so focusing gets touchy and eye relief is about 0 but it works ok out to 200 yds. I personally think it is a very good deal for use at the bench.

Shabo
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Nikon. I think I paid about $450 for the scope and 15x40 eye piece. It does not have the low light properties that the 80mm Kowa's have, but it is every bit as good under normal daylight conditions. I can read the mirage and the optics are crystal clear.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
if you want a high quality spotting scope, that is variable power 20-50x, 50mm lens, with great optics,  small and compact, rugged and built like a T55 tank.......and best of all very inexpensive, get the YUKON from SIBR OPTICS. I bought one 3 years ago, and never regreated it.....I can spot 5.56 holes out at past 200 meters. why spend hundreds of dollars, when this scope will do a better job, and it's compact.

it does have a short eye relief....but who cares.

http://www.nightvisionstore.com/other.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks sfcret I am going to buy this one based on your recommendation.  Do you know if I can mount it to my camera tripod that I alread have?

Happy shootin'
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you want a high quality spotting scope, that is variable power 20-50x, 50mm lens, with great optics,  small and compact, rugged and built like a T55 tank.......and best of all very inexpensive, get the YUKON from SIBR OPTICS. I bought one 3 years ago, and never regreated it.....I can spot 5.56 holes out at past 200 meters. why spend hundreds of dollars, when this scope will do a better job, and it's compact.

it does have a short eye relief....but who cares.

http://www.nightvisionstore.com/other.html
View Quote

have one on the way also... you should get commission!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks sfcret I am going to buy this one based on your recommendation.  Do you know if I can mount it to my camera tripod that I alread have?

Happy shootin'
View Quote

most tripod mounts are universal. I would say you are about 99.9% safe that it will fit.  Just my 2¢.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Happy shootin'
View Quote

when I bought it the scope has 2 threaded holes in the bottom of it....one is for metric, or european threads. the other is American threads. I bought a camera tripod I found at a flea market called a PROMASTER 6030, and screwed in the detachable base that came with it using the american size hole.......works great. I like this tripod becasue, besides being cheap, it has adjustable legs, and well made also....and when the legs areall the way in, it is a small package. I believe you will like this spotting scope, it's very well made and the optics are  as good as the higher end scope like LEUPOLD, or SWAROVSKI, and a fraction of the cost.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top