Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 11:13:35 AM EDT
I live in Fresno and my girlfriends cousin works for the department of justice and carries an H&K MP5 for his job.  He has lots of guns and purchased a safe from this company and I looked into it and may buy there.  The company is Sturdy Gun Safe.  Website is www.sturdysafe.com
They have specials for their model 2419 @ $600 and 2722 at $725.  They are built like tanks and I need a gun safe.  Just your opinion about their safes.  Ask for Terry Pratt, shop manager. He is very knowledgeable. They do not advertise but have military contracts.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
eh... shipping ?  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What lock do they have?  If it's an S&G, have him tell you about some of the features built into S&Gs.

Do they have holes in the bottom for bolting down? back for bolting to studs.  Can the door be pulled off if the hinges are cut off?  Go to a couple of places and compare to the big $$ ones.  Do they deliver to your area and does that include getting it in??
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The locks used are S & G (Sargent & Greenleaf), there are four holes on bottom plate, I do not think they are designed for stud mounting but I could be wrong, if the hinges were cut, the locking mechanism has four large steel bars that lock into each side so removing the hinges does not allow access to the interior of the safe. I have decided on there model #2722.  It weights
580 lbs. I am upgrading to 7 gauge steel.  It has a deluxe interior. Normal price is $947 but a current sale as it going for $775.  It is H60", W27", D22.5".  Capacity for 25 guns. I do not own that many guns NOW but do have lots of ammo I want locked up.  I just find it unfortunate that a company that does not advertise in gun magazines does not get the attention but I know that is what advertising dollars are for.  They make rock solid safes and I just want others here on AR15.com to know about them.  Shipping for me is not a factor since they are just ten minutes away.  You could call for shipping rates.  I know it must not be cheap.  Just a plug for a good company for they guys and gals here.  Sorry, I am off my soap box now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the cost of delivery on the sucker?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Does not look like a bad unit from thier site. I would disagree with them on one item. A sealed safe seals in moisture and enhances rust problems not prevent them. Quality safes are vented without reducing thier fire protection so the Thermal rod and keep air moving over the guns to keep them dry.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know what percentage of total weight the doors are, the reason I ask is, if your going to move the safe yourself, it would be easier to take the door off, I may need to do this to get it to the second floor.

Has anyone ever moved a safe this way?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The company sells an electric dehumidifier for $28.  Is it worth it?  Also, I was told safes weighing less than 800 lbs can be safely moved with a two wheel device.  However; moving a safe upstairs is a different story.  I am not knowledgeable about removing doors from safes.  There must be a way and it may depend on the mfg.  Shipping costs can be had by calling them with the size safe you are interested in and how far it is going.  They have a toll free number it is (800) 262-0023. or (888) U LOCK UP.  or fax 559 485-0843.  I want to know more about keeping the air quality inside the safe high as to protect my guns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#8]
For sh**s and grins, I called them yesterday...on the model 2419, shipping to me here on the east coast is around $250...TO the house but not IN the house.  Total dilivered for that model safe to me is $995, fwiw.  Not that I can afford it hehehe.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For sh**s and grins, I called them yesterday...on the model 2419, shipping to me here on the east coast is around $250...TO the house but not IN the house.  Total dilivered for that model safe to me is $995, fwiw.  Not that I can afford it hehehe.  
View Quote

I'm in VA too, did they give you a price for moving it inside and up or down stairs?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The dehumidifier or "golden rod" is highly recomended.... Keeps the moisture out of the safe. I think it is a couple of watts so power consumption is next to nothing....
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#11]
What about putting something moisture absorbing like silica gel in there- if it's sealed will that keep the guns/ammo dry enough?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a sealed safe and used dessicant packs to absorb moisture. That is exactly what it did. It absorbed moisture and held it into a sealed container that being my safe.

I picked up a Ft Knox brochure and they spoke directly how safes needed air flow a hole down low and a hole up high and a thermal rod for rust prevention.

I got out the drill and fixed mine and have not had a problem since.

Now there are products available which give off a chemical rust inhibitor vapor, this would probably work.

If your safe is in a temp. controlled humidity controlled environment, sealed might work better, mine is in an unheated garage, so goes from below freezing to over 100F
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
The silca packs are good for six months then you need to bake the moisture out. Or replace....
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]
In response to David Hineline.  Mine too would be in a front yard shed built like a tank.  It has 4-5 inch cement floor.  Would experience same weather patterns as a garage.  How did you know where to drill? Just wondering.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top