Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/29/2003 8:22:02 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting an FFL to save on weapons and FFL fees and waiting period. Please advise.

FireBlade
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:37:20 AM EDT
How many guns do you buy a year. if less than 15-20 i would say no.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:57:20 AM EDT
i don't think you can get a FFL to build your personal collection anymore.....i could be wrong
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:05:35 AM EDT
Is the markup on gun sales worth getting one? I could buy and sell to the public.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:57:14 AM EDT
If you want an FFL to be in the business, then ok. But it's not worth it just to save money on a few guns. I gave mine up when it became a hassle and not profitable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:12:53 AM EDT
so does a C&R FFL allow you to receive and conduct transfers for non-C&R guns, or C&R only?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:38:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:59:02 AM EDT
Have you looked into joining a local gun club or range? A club in my area (PRK of all places!), Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club, has its own FFL which can be used by club members to purchase firearms at cost (NICS and form 4473 still need to be filled out). The annual club dues are about what an FFL goes for, plus you won't have to worry about "jackbooted thugs" searching your place of business and/or residence at their convenience. I suspect that the great state of Texas would have a plethora of shooting clubs. Cheers, Backcountry
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:04:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Troy: A C&R FFL is a *collector* FFL, and allows you to buy C&Rs ONLY. A Type 1 FFL is a *dealer* license, and you MUST be in business to sell guns in order to get one, and in order to keep the FFL. BATF will yank your license if you aren't making enough sales, and you absoultely can't get one just for the purposes of enhancing your own collection. -Troy
View Quote
that's what I thought, but concerning the nature of the thread I figured it was good to get someone in the know to clarify.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:48:46 AM EDT
I am an 07 manufacturer and don't really do much in the way of buying and reselling guns, but I do have the occasional friend that wants me to get them a rifle or something for them "cheap" -- This is what I have found, for the "onesy - twosy" purchases (by the time I pay for shipping), my cost is often very little less than the same rifle at a large gun/sporting goods store. I fact, just recently I had a coworker that wanted a 10/22, my best price to my door was $5.00 [b]more[/b] than a local chain retailer had the same rifle on sale for! Of course, that is in Oregon... we still have big retailers that sell firearms here, may be different elsewhere.
Top Top