Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/28/2003 4:54:33 PM EDT
 Besides Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster and Olympic, what is out there that is post ban, not too expensive(around $1000), has good finish, quality metal and functions well. BTW: this would not really be my first AR, I had a horrible piece of shi* Olympic Arms plinker, but I won't go into that mess.
     Thanks
     -HK
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy's AR-15 [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=163620]Brand Comparison[/url] Chart
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The best AR option besides the ones you listed would probably be Rock River Arms followed up by DPMS.  I'd have to ask what you would be using it for.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
IMNSHO, best quality out of the box and best resale, Colt.

All-around good rifle and closest to mil-spec, Bushmaster

Most bang for the buck, RRA
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
RRA
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock River Arms makes an outstanding AR.  If you want to save a buck buy a Hesse.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you thought about building your own?  If you want a good AR at a great price, find yourself a stripped lower, and order a kit from [url=http://www.jtdistributing.com/]J&T[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
58% of the folks on this board (who voted) in this poll [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=161181[/url] said Bushmaster.  In fairness, the author left Armalite out of the poll (?)  If this will be a SHTF weapon, stick with Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt.  If you just want a paper punch, go for the best price and take your chances.  Just remember that you already tried the cheap approach, and you see what it got you.  Just my .02 worth.

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I built one for $500.00 shipping included. DPMS upper kit with cast lower reciever that I machined out myself. It looks and fires fine. If I had a digital camera I would give a picture. That is one of the next things on my to buy list.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Go with a Colt. You will pay a little more in the begining (not that much). It will probably be the best quality and the most accurate out of the box. Also if you ever sell it you will get by far the best resale out of it. When people buy a DPMS, RRA, Olympic Arms or other off brands they buy them to save money. Nobody will tell you that they are better than the Colt. They may say better for the money but not better.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies. The rifles purpose? A SHTF rifle, target shooter(we like to have little competitions over here and I always have to sit out during the 5.56 shoots)I could use anothers rifle but I need my own. I thought about colt, visited the RRA website, real nice looking rifles there. My dad owns a pre-ban Bushmaster shorty and it's the best AR I have ever seen. You can't miss with that thing. You guys know anything about Fulton Armory? www.fulton-armory.com  Specifically, I was looking at "The Hornet Lightweignt FAR-15A1 Rifle features a new, genuine USGI M16A1 chrome LW barrel in 1x12 twist—perfect for surplus 52 to 55 grain and 40 to 50 grain “Blitz” ammo, permanently-attached solid birdcage faux A1 "flash suppressor," a Fulton ARmory Forged Aluminum Lower Receiver, a military-contract quality M16A1 forged upper receiver, a forged Steel A1 front sight base, military trigger, "Set'n'Forget A1 Rear Sight, D-Fender extractor enhancer and AccuWedge, with a ten-round plastic waffle mag and "The Complete AR-15 Owner's Guide" by Kuleck & Duff." They want $749.95 for it.

About the finish on AR rifles: On my OlyArms the finish is real rough and it has a gritty feal. The finish on the pre-ban Bshmaster is smooth. What is the finish that is smooth. I need to know what to look for. I mean, its not just the exterior finish, when you work the action on the Bushmaster, it's nice and smooth, no matter how well I lube the Olympic, it's still rough and gritty.
Thanks alot
-HK

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you thought about building your own?  If you want a good AR at a great price, find yourself a stripped lower, and order a kit from [url=http://www.jtdistributing.com/]J&T[/url]
View Quote

Yeah, I was thinking about building one. I looked on the JT site and found a complete kit for a 16" CAR for $449.95. When you click on it, you can choose the pre-ban option. Where can I find a pre-ban lower to complete this rifle and about how much would it be? Do you need to be a gunsmith to assemble the complete rifle or does it just slap together with a few pins and stuff?

-HK
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Definitely do not need to be 'smith to assemble a J&T.  A few punches, pins, screws, springs and the awesome instructions and you're set.  Check out the BIY forum.  I just built one (my first kit & first AR)...it's easy!

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I was thinking about building one. I looked on the JT site and found a complete kit for a 16" CAR for $449.95. When you click on it, you can choose the pre-ban option. Where can I find a pre-ban lower to complete this rifle and about how much would it be? Do you need to be a gunsmith to assemble the complete rifle or does it just slap together with a few pins and stuff?

-HK
View Quote

J&T also has each kit in postban configuration also, select the drop down.  With J&T the uppers come completely assembled, all you have to do is assemble the lower.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top