Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 2:14:04 PM EDT
Using my homemade installation tool, I can't get the !%$#@^& to compress far enough to turn the tool. It's worked many times before, any ideas?
RRA lower
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, put a shoe box over your lower while you try to get the pin in. If you fail to do it right, you wont lose it as easy.
Just keep trying, and take your time.
You [u]will[/u] get it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You are sure that you are using the correct spring of the correct length?

Or you are sure that your detent spring hole is bored to full depth?

Sounds strange for me to ask but I've encountered this once before, a detent spring hole that wasn't deep enough and I had to cut just 2-3 coils from the spring to get my front pivot pin installed properly.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You are sure that you are using the correct spring of the correct length?

Or you are sure that your detent spring hole is bored to full depth?

Sounds strange for me to ask but I've encountered this once before, a detent spring hole that wasn't deep enough and I had to cut just 2-3 coils from the spring to get my front pivot pin installed properly.

View Quote

2 or 3 coils is about the distance I need to turn the tool
This is a Model 1 lower kit and both detent pins and  springs are the same length
The detent spring chamber is exactly 1" deep
Does all this sound right?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The hole is supposed to be 1.125 deep I think. Sometimes there is junk in the hole you can clean out by hand with a bit. Make sure you are not trying to put a selector spring in instead of the detent spring. The lower blue print is on the main page at the bottom.
View Quote

That was it, the spring chanber is only 1.03" deep, I'm going to cut the spring accordingly.

Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top