Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2003 1:30:14 PM EDT
Howdy. I have been shooting AR type rifles (14 years US Army) for many years, but now I want my own. A guy at work has told me about these 3 Gun Matches he shoots at and they sound like a blast! I already own a couple of pistols and scatterguns, but I really need an AR. What I would like is something relatively inexpensive, but has a decent amount of accuracy, and is easy to carry around. I love the military M4, but I know about the legal requirements. Can you guys give me some thoughts as to configuration, manufacturer and prices? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends upon the range and the type of match.

In North Platte we would do a rifle stage from anywhere to point blank to 300yds so I ran a free float 20" rifle with a 2-7x oprics. In omaha and sioux falls the range is limited to no further than 75 yds so 11.5" with a red dot optics works fine. No one rifle will do all things. Attend a couple matches someone will have some rifle you want to try and shoot the match and see what works for you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a couple of different uppers but if I had to build one rifle, I'd go with:

1. 16 to 18 inch barrel: 1:9, 1:8, 1:7.7 twist, I'd probably go with a 5.56 chamber over the .223 since you could shoot surplus for CQB stages (and practice) and the extra room in the chamber helps keep things running when your rifle gets dirty.  Match 223 chambers can be a real bitch when youre blazing away.  You only need the faster twists if your going to shoot longer distances requiring heavier bullets. For out to 250 yards, the 1:9 will do just fine.
2. Good comp - makes follow-up shoots faster
3. free floated tube - pick one that you like.
4. PRI front sight - thought this was a waste until I got one.  The unobstructed view is Awesome.
5. folding rear sight - GGG or Arms.
6. Probably an Eotech - I dont like the 'fuzziness' of the dot compared to the Aimpoint, but it is faster (for me) and the 1 MOA dot works fine out to 400 yards+
7. tac sling - lots of folks like the Viking tactics sling for its adjustments (I think its too narrow), CQB solutions makes a great sling as well.
8. Someones match trigger- Bushy, RRA, JP (overpriced), Jewel (best $$ can buy).

This should get you well into debt!

Good luck and 3 gun is a blast!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You may want to go to be.com and check out there forums . There is a wealth of knowledge over there as well as many of the top 3-gunners in the nation post there daily . The sight is geared more towards IPSC but has info on all the different 3-gun events as well as what guys are using . I believe there is even a locked thread about 3-gun rifles . Be careful cuz its addictive and expensive , my wife thinks I should start smoking crack again cuz it would be cheaper but to late I am already hooked on something else (ha ha).
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
You may want to go to be.com and check out there forums . There is a wealth of knowledge over there as well as many of the top 3-gunners in the nation post there daily . The sight is geared more towards IPSC but has info on all the different 3-gun events as well as what guys are using . I believe there is even a locked thread about 3-gun rifles . Be careful cuz its addictive and expensive , my wife thinks I should start smoking crack again cuz it would be cheaper but to late I am already hooked on something else (ha ha).
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
be.com???  The address is wrong. Anybody have a correct one?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It's Brianenos.com. Well-known 3 gunners Todd Salmon, Kurt Miller, Bruce Piatt, and even Mike Voigt post there.

You need to figure out which class you want to shoot.  You also need to look at the rules of the various matches that you intend to shoot.  There are 4 major 3 gun associations: USPSA/IPSC, WC3Gun (old SOF), International Multigun Assoc. (Mystery Mountain 3 gun and Rocky Mtn. 3Gun Assoc) and North American Tactical 3 Gun (vikingtactics.com).  Of course, they all have different rules usually in regards to sighting systems.

In my opinion, it's better to build a custom gun slowly rather than buy an AR and then start adding pieces.  That way it's like Burger King, you can have it your way.  Here is how mine is set up (by Accuracy Speaks):

1)  Barrel:  My main competition AR has an 18 inch medium weight Douglas barrel 1 in 9 twist.  It will shoot everything from 40 grainers to 75s.  You don't want a short barrel!  They may be more handy but a full-length gas system makes for less recoil and less gun movement.  I can't think of one truly competitive 3 gunner that uses a 16 inch barrel.  You don't need a match grade barrel but it's nice.  Don't get a twist slower than 1 in 9 as you may want to shoot heavier bullets.    
2) Compensator.  You need a comp.  ARs don't have a lots of muzzleflip or recoil but you'd be surprised how much a good comp will help.  Look at JP (Get the Cooley comp as it's legal in all matches whereas the fullsize one is not), Miculek, Benny Hill (triangleshootingsports.com) and Accuracy Speaks Jakenator.  
3)  Free floating handguard.  I like Accuracy Speaks and Scott Medesha handguards but there are lots of good ones.  You want a freefloating tube because sometimes you can use bipods and ching slings.
4) Slings.  Have a ching sling and a vikingtactics.com tactical sling.
5) Triggers.  You need a good trigger.  For 3 gun work, most (but not all) prefer a single stage.  Accuracy Speaks and JP are both good.
6) Sights.  You'll want to be able to shoot both irons and scope.  Flip-up front sights are cool but they do have some zero problems.  Get a gas block that has a weaver rail (armalite or JP) and a detachable Armalite front sight.   Put a skinny front post in it (.030 to .050).  Get a detachable handguard A2 style sight and put a same plane apeture in it (Ashley Outdoor or Bob Jones).
6a Scopes.  This is tough as the rules diverge.  I think the low-powered variable is the best allaround sight (Leupold 1-4X, 1.5-5X or the Zeiss 1-4X).  They are what wins in open class but they're not legal in tactical scope class at Mystery Mountain or WC3gun where you must use a military-issued scope off the approved list.  Low powered variables are legal at North American Tac 3 gun and Rocky Mountain 3 gun.  
The best sights off the list are the ACOG TA11 and the EoTech.  The ACOG is a lot better for the medium to far shots and the EOTech is better for the closer stuff.  I'd go with the ACOG unless the matches you're shooting are heavily focused toward the close stuff. Yes, an Eotech can make 400 yards shots but they are not really competitive once you get past 200.  
7) Stocks.  I have an A1 stock with an adjustable buttplate which makes it A2 length.  Nice but not at all necessary.

TriangleShootingSports and Clark Custom Guns both make a competition ready AR that is relatively afforadable.  JPs are a step in both price and fit and finish but not necessarily competitiveness.

Good luck.      
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top