Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 10:36:27 AM EDT
I just read this thread from another forum, and HAD to post it here to see what other great methods people use to get some new purchases into the house/safe without your better half being any the wiser.

Great Methods

ReaperVelle
(I couldnt stop laughing reading some of those - it hit so close to home)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered a new H&K USP 45 Tactical handgun last summer. When it arrived at my dealer's shop, I picked it up and hid it in the trunk of my car. That night I slipped it into the bedroom window, as the case it came in was too large to conceal on my person. Then I came back in the house and slipped it from the bedroom to my gunroom while my wife was taking a shower. I locked it away in the gunsafe, where it sat until our federal tax refund arrived this past February. I then informed her that I was buying a new pistol, and slipped it back out of the house so I could say that I "just" picked it up that day. And I told her it cost $400, when it really was just shy of $1000. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've got to hide it, that half ain't better!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate that concept...hmm, I wonder what SHES hiding?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
You guys are so p..... whipped!!! If you are equals in a relationship, both in money and honesty, there is nothing to hide from each other!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You guys are so p..... whipped!!! If you are equals in a relationship, both in money and honesty, there is nothing to hide from each other!
View Quote

You are right, but then again you do not want to give your wife the green light to say "You have money for guns but not this and that"

What I do is, I have her convince that nobody cleans guns the way I do, and ALL my buddies want me to clean their guns, so IF she sees something new I can tell her, yes that gun belongs to Tom, that one is Tim's, this is Greg's and I am picking up, Doug's and Ray's this weekend, now leave me alone, I have a lot of work to do.  [:D]    [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have to sneak something into the house, either you haven't spent enough money on your wife lately, or you need to sit down a have a long talk on you’re spending budget and accepted hobbies.

Myself, Most of the time, it's my wife who tells me to buy a gun that I'm looking at, or want. If I'm not working, then I'm either at the golf course or down in the gun room/at the range. Considering that I don't drink or gamble, she if very happy to have me stay with my current hobbies and the places she knows where to find me.

P.S. This is the same woman that has told me to buy shotguns/rifles that cost more that what most of you guys spend on buying a car.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I would like to Sneak my 17 Year Old Girlfriend in so my 35 Year Old Wife won't know about Her !!!! Any Ideas? [bounce]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife doesnt mind me buying new guns as long as I save up for them. I just cant run out and deplete the checkbook on a new gun without warning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It's easy to sneak a new gun in the house.  What's hard is explaining that you need a new gun-safe!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to hide them in the car and slip them in while the wife is in the shower or taking a nap, etc.

After over 15 years of marriage, it's not necessary.  Now my wife simply lets me get what I want when I want.  We both work, we pay all our bills on time, keep the kids in good clothes, and have food in the frig.

Like someone else said, I don't gamble, bar hop, etc., so guns and hunting is not a bad hobby...could be worse.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Not the guns.

Now the model RR stuff?  

She understands the guns but when she sees the shelves of the kits for the RR which has been a table collecting crap since I left for Gulf War One then she gets crosseyed.  My change the subject routine is to point out the bins of material she has collected just in case she needs it for a quilt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like to Sneak my 17 Year Old Girlfriend in so my 35 Year Old Wife won't know about Her !!!! Any Ideas? [bounce]
View Quote

Hell man, wait another year, that stuff will send you to jail....or the coronary unit at the local hospital!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great reply.........

Also, Do to others what you want them to do to you.

Personally, I'd not like it if my wife bought stuff and hid it from me. Even if it was her $$. It's deceptive and dishonest. I can't love somebody I cannot completely trust.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
My old lady still thinks my Henry lever action is my 10/22 with the folding stock off and the wooden one back on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't had to sneak one in since I lived with my parents, but here is what I routinely did:

Talk about going to the range and get the range bag and targets out and next to the door.  Then get the appropriate sized gun case for whatever new gun is coming back into the house.  Put a broome stick in it to stiffen it and give it shape.  Walk out and go pick up the gun.  Leave the broome stick in the car when you get back and put the gun under the mattress.  (This was in the pre-safe/cabinet days).  

My parents never caught on to the method, but I had hell to pay when my mom flipped the mattresses one day while I was away and found a dozen longarms.

Mario
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife has more guns than I do . Women don't like to part with sh*t. Where I sell one to buy one. She just buys one . Hell she keeps the shotgun news in her bathroom. Damn boys, I did somethin right last life around ! Take you'r wife to the range. Be supportive and sugest guns of her choice. You might be surprised.
                                 [kiss]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could not have said it better myself.  My wife almost always goes with me when I go to my FFL to pick up my purchases.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I sneak things into the house just so I don't have to listen to her bitch. It just keeps the peace. It doesn't matter that we have joint and seperate monies and I spend my money on them or swap out my work. She does the same thing but I don't know why as I never say anything about what she brings home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
The best method that I have come up with in this long addiction to guns (especially the evil black ones) is to go buy what ever I want...dont try to hide it...and with the most sincere look........

say," LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT YOU TODAY..DEAR!!!!"  <----- WORKS EVERY TIME!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
My lady is pretty cool about firearm purchases,I find that if the guns are "pretty" then all the better,She seems to like stainless/wood combos.She also go's to the range with me quite a bit.She didnt grow up with firearms in her family but like someone else said,I could be chasing women,doing crack,or going to titty bars every night so she puts up with hobbys.She's already taken over my ruger .22 pistol and usally burns up at least 500 rounds when we go,She's like 5'1" and 105 pounds or so and my .223 M4 Ar with all the goodies doesnt fit her well so when i built my lastest 9mm Ar she asked "what was different about that one" i said "well this one is more for short range and lighter so i thought you can shoot it too" That seemed to work pretty well.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not married, and I don't have a steady girlfriend.  I don't answer to nobody! I buy what I want and when I want.  :-)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
You ever notice that our wives all say, "I'm not your mother!" but yet they act like they are our mothers.  "Pick up your skivvies."  "Come home right after school."  Yada, yada, yada.

The result is that we feel the need to hide things from the wife, just like we hid them from mom.  New guns, Playboy, the new girlfriend, etc..

My solution was to get so many guns that she couldn't tell when I added one more.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife is very accepting of what I have/or buy.  If she wasn't, I would not have married her.  It really makes my stomach turn when my neutered friends have to beg for something.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You do not want to give your wife the green light to say, "You have money for guns, but not this and that"
View Quote

Exactly. I'm sitting on over $15,000 in firearms and we have a $700 1988 Chevy Beretta, a rusted 1981 Ford Bronco, and a home that she wants completely remodelled. I have a sickness when it comes to gun buying and can't bring myself to spend money elsewhere. [:(]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top