Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 12:19:41 PM EDT
Mounting an equipment/pic rail on the bottom side of a free float hand guard for the purpose of swapping out a fore grip and bi-pod and/or lighting.

Possible? good ? bad ? input please.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:55:09 PM EDT
Possible? Yes - its been done many times - there are now tubes sold with the rails already attached. Good? I think its a great idea!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:00:10 PM EDT
i put a gg&g under foregrip integrated rail on my bushy cabine, along with a vertical foregrip and an m3 tactical illuminator. These additions make me wonder how i ever got along without them! I also find them absolutely critical for a home defense carbine. Add these on and you won't be sorry!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:34:16 PM EDT
4digger, How did you mount the GG&G rail? Did you thread the holes you drilled in the tube or did you use backing bolts? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:04:09 PM EDT
I wanted to mount it on a free float handguard. Is that integrated system only for the 2 piece hand guards? Or can I simply drill and tap holes on my free float handguard?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:23:02 PM EDT
I mounted a rail to my Bushy carbine. Got it from Brownell's. Falcon 6" mounting platform, it comes with the screws and nuts that are shaped to fit into the vent holes. It works great, the rails are full cut across the width. Item #573-000-019, dealer price 30. retail 40. This is full length, they also have 2 and 4". You will need the 6" for a grip and light. Unless you get the GG&G offset light adapter, then you could go with the 4" one. Mark
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:02:16 PM EDT
JB2000, The gg&g UFIR comes with everything you need to mount the rail. My post ban bushmaster needed to be drilled. The heat shield within the handguards had no corresponding holes in it. I figured the correct diameter drill bit, measured several times and began drilling. I also put a small dab of loctite on each of the provided hex bolts to insure that they won't loosen up under heavy fire. An m3 tactical illuminator and vertical foregrip fit perfectly on the rail.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:16:49 PM EDT
Aristotle13, I e-mailed GG&G about mounting their UFIR rail onto a tubular aluminum handguard like on my V-match. Here's their response: "Sorry, our backing nuts will not work on your forearm. I would drill and tap it for bolts." I would assume from this that you would simply drill and tap the forearm itself and bolt the rail directly to it. I would assume that if it's not strong enough you could add washers and bolts inside as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:01:26 PM EDT
cool. Thanks for the heads up JB!
Top Top