Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/22/2003 5:35:24 PM EDT
I realize I could have posted this on the magazine forum but I figured I would get more responses here. Anyways, how do you gents who have Thermold mags like them. All of my mags are USGI but I really like the look of the Thermold mags. I hear they perform great. Do they come with green followers? Just let me know what you think about them, and where I can purchase them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:55:29 PM EDT
Thermolds work perfectly for me and I rate them equal to USGI. Followers are not green and I would suggest you look at the equipment exchange. Best to you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:56:10 PM EDT
I have one, don't know if it's a military follower but it's black. Doubt it matters, feeds fine in my bushy lower frankengun and my colt. They do look cool and don't have to worry about scratching the finish, but they don't fit as well in pouches designed to hold standard GI mags.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:14:14 PM EDT
I have 8 of the Thermold 30's and I like them better than the USGI's !! They look Better as they are Black and Match my AR15's Perfect, Feed Just as good as the USGI's and don't Scratch the Mag Well from being put in and out !! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:37:53 PM EDT
just ordered two [:D] Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:10:16 PM EDT
The only problem I have with Thermold magazines is that I don’t have any. [>(] They can ROCK! [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:01:54 AM EDT
I just got five (5) for my colt 6700, they would not lock in. I had to file the lips down abit, and then pull the charging handle a few times. Now they work great. Good investment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:12:30 AM EDT
Never had any problems in my Busmasters. Troy at the Mags forum has found they tend to jam if sand embeds in its polymer surface. He sited other problems as well. You should try the Mag. Forum because he'll probably see your post sooner there. Try the link below, sorry you're going to have to paste: (I'm a comp. idiot) http://www.weaponforums.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=159973
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:53:38 AM EDT
I will still stand on these mags that have that england sticker on the side! they are cheap, tougher looking and feeling than regular mags and I never have problems with them! Over 300 rounds and no signs of any malfunctions what so ever. [hail2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:15:51 AM EDT
Here's my opinion of Thermolds: Quality: Fit and finish is second to none. Feeding: Works great, after they are broken in. Run the charging handle over an inserted (empty) magazine in order to scrape off flashing. Never had a failure. Looks: Much better than a USGI in my opinion. Matte black rifle deserves a matte black magazine. I also like the horizontal ribbing better than the vertical. Other: You can use LULA's to load them, but Thermolds don't like to be unloaded with LULA's. Metal magazines work better in LULA's, but that may not be an issue for you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:46:31 AM EDT
I've been using Thermolds for a few years in my LEGP RRA and Bushmaster. For the most part, they work well and I keep using them. Unfortunately, they are not as durable as USGI mags since I dropped a full mag on concrete at the range. It cracked and I couldn't repair it. FWIW, I've dropped Orlites full also and no damage resulted. When the temperature drops below 30F, I've had a number of failure to feeds where the cartridge is not lifted far enoungh and the bolt smashes the bullet into the brass. I was *told* by a plastics engineer that this problem occurred because the Thermold mag body and the follower are dissimilar plastics that have different heat coefficients. Supprising, these mags were in use by the Canadian military. I use the Thermolds when the temperature is above 40F and USGI when the weather is cold. My $0.02 worth. Spambo
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:17:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 8:23:52 AM EDT by mrostov]
Thermold mags work great for me normally, but they do have their drawbacks. I know a Canadian military retired NCO and he had absolutely nothing good to say about the Thermold mags. They don't do well in the cold and Canada gets VERY cold. It wasn't uncommon in the extreme cold for the feed lips on a loaded mag (like in the mag pouch) to spontaneously break off and rounds to just go everywhere. Hear tell the feed lips will also melt under prolonged fire.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:03:06 AM EDT
Thanks for everyone's input. As far as getting cold, I don't think I have to worry about that down here in SE Texas. However, during the winter it does sometimes hit the low 30s or high 20s.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:31:29 AM EDT
Reliable [b]range[/b] magazines, but not nearly as durable as GI.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:55:54 AM EDT
I have both GI 20/30 and 30rd thermolds! I like the THERMOLDS AS WELL AS GI MAGS! I will feel just fine with either of them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:02:38 PM EDT
DO NOT change the followers in Thermolds with the USGI green followers. Thermold followers already have anti tilt legs. The USGI followers will cause malfuntions if they are not altered slightly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As far as my thought on them? look in the magazine section under Fell off the truck's origional thread. Several people including myself have already answered that one. Basically, don't ever get them dirty and you'll love them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:20:04 PM EDT
They work good, no pobs for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:30:07 PM EDT
My 4 are great. Took several slides of the bolt to wear off some flashing on the feed lips and no problems since. Before the LULA I got mine so I had no worries about bending feed lips. I have read that the Canadian production did not have the Zytel nylon in them due to cost issues, and this caused the temp problems.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:08:28 PM EDT
I have made several attempts in the equipment exchange to contact those people who are selling thermolds. No luck. Is there a good and reliable person or website which anyone can reccomend that sells new 30 round thermolds? I greatly appreciate it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:55:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By spambo: I've been using Thermolds for a few years in my LEGP RRA and Bushmaster. For the most part, they work well and I keep using them. Unfortunately, they are not as durable as USGI mags since I dropped a full mag on concrete at the range. It cracked and I couldn't repair it. FWIW, I've dropped Orlites full also and no damage resulted. When the temperature drops below 30F, I've had a number of failure to feeds where the cartridge is not lifted far enoungh and the bolt smashes the bullet into the brass. I was *told* by a plastics engineer that this problem occurred because the Thermold mag body and the follower are dissimilar plastics that have different heat coefficients. Supprising, these mags were in use by the Canadian military. I use the Thermolds when the temperature is above 40F and USGI when the weather is cold. My $0.02 worth. Spambo
View Quote
Are you using Thermold mags made in North Carolina, or the Canadian jobs? When Canada adopted the Thermold they changed the composition of the plastic to a much cheaper grade, and that's where the problems arose. I've dropped NC made Thermolds on concrete and the rounds stayed in, or at most one popped out. The Canadian jobs, with the Maple Leaf on the side, are much softer. You can bend them in with you fingers, and I can believe they'd pop out a bunch of rounds if they were dropped on a hard surface. They also will melt under extended full auto fire w/blanks. I've got 10 US Thermolds and one Canadian job that I bought just for comparison. There is no comparison[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:30:13 AM EDT
4digger, I had an ad for 10 U.S. thermolds on the equipment exchange about a week ago. Email me any questions, and I'll even send you pictures.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:33:36 PM EDT
heres one http://www.assaulttech.com/
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:36:29 PM EDT
stick with the D and D from Wilson N.C. and you shouldn't have an issue. I always take them apart and trim the light flashing off of the follower then oil them just a bit...never have a problem with them. you do NOT want to use the thermold M14 mags....the front locking notch wears after general use and they FTFeed.
Top Top