Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 7:50:46 AM EDT
I just purchased a new flat top AR15 (my first one since my Army days) and was planning on slapping on a scope I had.  Then I realized that the way the AR15 is designed, it is really hard to get your eye down to barrel level and keep the stock on your shoulder.  What is eveyones suggestions to solve this problem?  Is it best to get a carry handle for it and mount the optics on it or just get a raised rail for it?  Your opinions are very welcome.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just purchased a new flat top AR15 (my first one since my Army days) .
View Quote

From your Army days-"nose to charging handle".This will position the buttpad high on your shoulder, with only the bottom "in the socket".
Check out the war pictures, and see how the GI/JH's are using them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, after I put on the sites it all came back to me.  Just seemed weird without any sights on it.  Ended up putting a BUSHNELL HOLO sight on it (Iron sights for backup up).  Love it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Where are da photo's of da gun, DaPhotoGuy?

[;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The images of da gun will be posted tonight.  BTW, the reason my handle is DaPhotoGuy is that my OTHER hobby is Glamour Photography

[edited to remove image]

[red]Please, no pictures like this on the website. Thanks![/red]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice... I did some photography in HS for the yearbook and newspaper, and then some camera work when I was with AFRTS for two years.  The only "glamour" photos I ever took were for a friend whose wife had an "interesting" website business.  I was just helping her out, of course.  I hope you understand that I can't post those pictures here...  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Armalite makes a one piece scope mount that raises the scope to the correct hieght.

[img]http://www.armalite.com/shared/images/armalite_scope_mount200.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the optics...a riser or high rings will work on a flattop...or any number of different ARMS mounts, carry handle mounts, etc.  I guess it boils down to how "authentic" you want it to look.  Here's a couple of photos...you won't see this setup in Iraq, but it seems to poke little holes in paper just fine [:D]

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/AR1_1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/M4_1.jpg[/img]

my bad...shows you what a fever of 101 and not much sleep will do for you hehehe.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#8]
hmmm...why aren't the photos visible, just the links?  Skullduggery afoot!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where are da photo's of da gun, DaPhotoGuy?

[;)]
View Quote

My new DPMS Lo-Pro Classic and Holo Sight II.  The front gas block is going to be replaced with a quad rail for iron sights.
[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/DPMS.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice... I did some photography in HS for the yearbook and newspaper, and then some camera work when I was with AFRTS for two years.  The only "glamour" photos I ever took were for a friend whose wife had an "interesting" website business.  I was just helping her out, of course.  I hope you understand that I can't post those pictures here...  [;)]
View Quote

No reason your couldn't pass on the link to the pictures. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got an Armalite and am about to put an ARMS #22 on it with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50. I'm also putting an ARMS flip up rear and Knight's flip up front sights on it. I've also got an Aimpoint ML2 I can attach if I choose to. Both optic and red dot are in mounts that rezero if removed and reattached so if I do go to iron sights I can go immediately back to dot or glass.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Do a search on the ARMS #22 mounts. Have heard from someone on this board that they don't hold zero very well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
They look rock solid on there but I guess they could have a problem just like anything could. It mounts the VX-3 at just the right distance but that may be just that particular scope and my hold. I'll know after I finally get to take it to the range and play with it. That and the ARMS flip up sights I need to zero also.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Der "Squid" and "Troy" have got it right - as usual !  A lot of thought went into designing that ArmaLite mount and it is an often overlooked solution.  IMHO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top