Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 8:16:26 PM EDT
I am considering buying my upper with a muzzle break permanently attached. Only because I like the look of them.  Some have commented that they don't care for them because them make the gun really loud.

What is the gerenal feeling on the muzzle break?  Do you guys like the sound it makes and how loud it is?  

Need help deciding, I may order tomorrow (or today  as it is past midnight EST!)
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search......[beathorse]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a thread that might be interesting:
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=156894&page=1]Does a muzzle brake actually help any? [/url]

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, you don't need a muzzle brake although they do help.  Like you said, they will make you rifle louder.  The reason I have one on my M4A3 Bushy is to make the 14.5" barrel a legal 16".
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If its a cool fake flash hider, then thats fine.  anything else sucks! (just my $.02)   might want to wait and see how the ban goes.  if no ban is put in place, get a flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, the gun won't seem that loud to YOU with a muzzle brake lol...just the people along side you.  Now, if they're the Eddie Bauer Explorer drivin' gun snobs, well, that's just too bad [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually, the gun won't seem that loud to YOU with a muzzle brake lol...just the people along side you.  Now, if they're the Eddie Bauer Explorer drivin' gun snobs, well, that's just too bad [:D]
View Quote

True, if you get chlosterphobic (or however you spell it) at the range with other shooters next to you, then pop off a couple of rounds with the muzzle brake.  I will guarantee you that they will clear out.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a point that hasn't been brought up.

When you shoot, it is "Louder" around you (say, 10 foot radius).  However, downrange, it is not as loud (as an unbraked barrel would be), since much of the blast/noise is dispersed to the side.

Experience/proof:  Prarie Dog town.  200yd shots, shooting with a brake, you get one, and the others look around wondering where it came from.  Without a brake, all of them jump in the holes.

Proper ear protection, a good brake, and you will see the red mist nicely, with the bonus that the "boom" is dispersed 180 degrees, making your location less prominent.  

I prefer Vias brakes (see avatar), a little spendy, but turn a .223 into a .22LR recoil, so you can hold solid on target and "Verify shot placement".
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
[url=groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/muzzledevices.msnw]Muzzle Devices[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an A2tac Brake from Kurt and it works great! I can double tap all day! but then again I havent tried double tapping at the Qual. range with A2's, the SP's might not like that too much.  It is very loud when standing around the shooter, but I cant tell the difference as the shooter.  I did notice mine works almost like a flash suppressor.  I'd say 90% of the flame comes out the top of the Brake in the form of jets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL, you should try shooting at a range with a tin roof...an AR with a muzzle brake is unbelievably loud to all concerned. Compared to my braked AR, my friends' M1A sounds like a BB gun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
The range I go to has a tin roof and my AR was loader than this guys 308 CETME.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Muzzle Break for AR15 - what is your opinion?
View Quote

My opinion is that is is not good to [u]break[/u] the muzzle of any rifle. [:D]

Oh, come on, now... 12 responses & nobody else nailed him for that yet?!?!?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Boy aren't you funny.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Boy aren't you funny.
View Quote

Boy, aren't you thin-skinned?  Do a search on "muzzle break" - people ALWAYS get called on that one.  [s]Grow up.[/s]

edited to make less harsh:
My bad - I made a joke, one that is made here all the time, you didn't like it.  My apologies.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Boy aren't you funny.
View Quote

Actually, the man does have a valid point. No one is breaking anything here lol.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Boy aren't you funny.
View Quote

Boy, aren't you thin-skinned?  Do a search on "muzzle break" - people ALWAYS get called on that one.  Grow up.
View Quote

I was just playing with you.  I've seen that one before.  Dude settle down a bit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
My first post was asking about the Bushmaster AK styled [i]break[/i] and boy did you guys let me have it.  The good news is I don't make that mistake anymore. [:D]

Honestly 99.99% of the people shooting AR-15 will find no use for a compensator other than to dress up the neutered post-ban crowned muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...Honestly 99.99% of the people shooting AR-15 will find no use for a compensator other than to dress up the neutered post-ban crowned muzzle.
View Quote

Exactly.

BTW, the Mini-Y comp [b]SUCKS![/b]

Thank you. Have a nice day. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
tl511-  If it is just for "the look" and you have at least a 16" barrel get the fake flash hider.  If you want something that will help enhance your ability to make quick followup shots, get a brake.  BUT, if you go with the  brake, be aware that a lot of folks are going to gripe about the noise.  The things really seem to piss off a lot of otherwise solid gun folk!

And BTW bigsapper, Mini-Y's don't suck, they BLOW, and therein lies the problem!

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks all, you helped me decide not to break my muzzle!  [8D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And BTW bigsapper, Mini-Y's don't suck, they BLOW, and therein lies the problem!

DILBERT_556
View Quote

I stand corrected. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#24]
If you like the look, get one!

If you want a 'shooter', forget it. I'd prefer to let then noise go downfield.

There are a small percentage of shooters, who can't take the fierce, hard recoil of a .223, and can't keep it on target without a brake, but they're a minority.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I used to be one of those shooters who thought that a comp on an AR was for the weak, ill or misguided.  And then I actually shot some ARs with good comps.

Comps are an excellent addition to ARs that are to be used for competition (not highpower), varmint hunting, and possibly even tactical work.  As SinstralRifleman noted, comps tame muzzle rise not recoil.  It is not the massive recoil that is being tamed but the loss of sight picture.  The comp does nothing to keep the bolt carrier from slamming backwards but what it does do is keep the muzzle flat and steady.  This allows for faster follow up shots and more accurate shotcalling.  Shots and hits are called instantly.  Sight picture is only minimally disturbed.  

You'll look long and hard before you find any uncomped AR in the winners circle at any major 3 gun match. Yes, they are loud.  Yes, they increase muzzle blast.  Yes, they are illegal in highpower matches.

If you're just going to shoot off the bench at some public range, I would not get one.  If, you want to shoot CMP matches, don't get one.  But if you want to drive your AR to the nth degree, consider it.

I shoot the Accuracy Speaks Jakenator but other really good comps include the Miculek comp, both JP comps  (standard and Bennie Cooley Tactical), and the Benny Hill comp (triangle shooting sports).  Stick with the ones that win matches.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, I use a muzzle BEAK, which is a curved metal extension which directs the annoying blast and noise downward.....[;)]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
What is a muzzle brake, legally?  How does the BATF tell the difference between a muzzle brake, a flash suppressor, and a compensator?  Does anybody know?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
[VPC mode] Braycs and cawmps help you "spray and pray" easier when you want to shoot up a crowd [/VPC mode]

CRC
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The Bushmaster Mini-Y Comp RULES! All other must bow in disgrace!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#31]
At the range yesterday everybody was crying at me about how loud my 16" HB Bushy is, I don't have any kind of brake at all on it.

There was a guy right next to me shooting a 16" HB Bushy with the AK brake on it, and nobody said a word to him.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is a muzzle brake, legally?  How does the BATF tell the difference between a muzzle brake, a flash suppressor, and a compensator?  Does anybody know?
View Quote

Well, a big factor (if not the only one) in the legality of the device (brake of compensator), is that it has to be over 22mm in diameter, so it cannot be used to launch grenades. That, anyway, is my understanding of it. Please, please please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#33]
There are other shooters, like me, who care neither about muzzle climb, nor about recoil, and simply want the rifle to look like they are supposed to look (or nearly so), but are not willing to pay over $75 to have a fake suppressor installed.

Something like the $30, SOG Armory brake fits the role nicely. It uses set screws, just drill shallow indentations in the barrel, and the thing won't come off. If for whatever reason I have to take it off, just unscrew it, and voilá! Castrated looks again...

Naked-muzzle ARs look just plain wrong!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#34]
The Vias brake is legally considered a "brake".  However, it supresses the flash very well.  It does not affect accuracy at all, it is omnidirectional, yet it stops any muzzle jump.  I am not a dealer for Vias, and they are overpriced, but I will say they rock on all accounts.  Same goes for NightForce optics.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an AK brake attached to my 14.5" barrel and am totally satisfied with it. It is 100 times better than the Mini-Y that was originally on the rifle both with recoil and noise. My friends can feel the "wind" from it when standing next to it at the range, but that's not a concern to me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top