Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2003 9:29:46 PM EDT
folks,

just wanted to get some input on what you guys who need and wear corrective lenses shoot with.  do you wear your regular pair of prescription glasses, do you have a pair of prescription "safety-lens" glasses, or do you wear standard shooting glasses over your contacts?  did i miss any other possiblities?

was also interested to know whether wearing glasses gives you trouble with red dot type sights, e.g. aimpoint etc.  do you find it sometimes difficult to use these sights with your glasses on?  i'm about to buy a red dot sight, was wondering what your experiences with glasses have been.  what about non-prescription polarized sunglasses, do they hinder sight usage at all?

i have a mild prescription (-1.25, same both eyes) and can function pretty well without glasses (i.e. i can easily drive, but might miss some street signs if i didn't know where i was going).  on a daily basis i typically wear my glasses, but for shooting and sports i wear 1 day "throw away" contact lenses.

thanks for any input.
jim aka ar-jedi

ps, while i have you all on the horn here: a bit ago someone posted a web link to an industrial supply company that had GREAT prices on disposable ear plugs, ear muffs, safety glasses, etc.  for the life of me i can't find that post -- anyone know the company?

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly nearsighted and I've haven't liked the idea of sticking pieces of plastic into my eyes since I saw a set melt to a person's eyes in a lab accident.  I wear my prescription glasses to shoot pistol and rifle and I've managed to get classified as a Master in Conventional Pistol and Highpower Rifle.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There's an "Eyewear Q&A" forum at www.nationalmatch.us that you may want to check?
IMHO
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I wear Wiley-X's with the prescription insert.They have never given me trouble with using my Eotech.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
i had my regular glasses outfitted so i didnt have to change so now i only have one pair and since my frames are okleys they war around almost as nice as my shooting glasses i do get some looks in meetings but most of the time the see the okleys and think man those are cool like your glasses some times i do think they look a little off when i am in a suit but i live with it. i couldnt do the contact thing i tried. im now thinking on lasix. i am as blind as a bat with out my specs. Ronald
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Because I am too cheap to buy a set of prescription safety glasses, I wear my regular glasses with some cheap safety glasses over them. This isn't the best looking setup on the firing line but it works. I never could wear contacts, just something about putting a lens on my eyeball just doesn't appeal to me. I wish someone made a nice set of safety glasses that were made to fit over regular glasses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Regular glasses here too, although for years I only wear prescription polycarbonate lenses for their safety aspects. For scope (conventional type) shooting I don't use my prescription sun-glasses as I feel they hinder me, but I have shot my red-dots quite a bit w/ them, and had no problems.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to wear glasses, but now I wear contacts with safety glasses and my vision is as good if not better (esp. my periphiral) and I can wear any type of safety glasses I want, even borrow a pair from some one else if I forget mine.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
i tend to wear lexan contacts. kidding of course.  i prefer contacts with safety glasses on top.  i cant stand lack of perfipheral vision.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm -1.50 in both eyes.  I do the contacts/shooting glasses thing. The only real glasses I have are the Army issued BCG's, and those things are way to heavy to wear for a day of shooting.
I'm not sure about the Aimpoint question.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Arrr... I only have the one good eye to worry about matey. The other is covered by me eye patch.

It works pretty well until I forget that I have a hook where one of me hands used to be....

Smee! Get ye away from me grog, or I will split yer forehead with me cutlass! Away with ye scurvy dog!

Good help be hard to find these days. Arrrr...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Whether you wear prescription or off the shelf glasses is your choice. Whatever you are comfortable with and can shoot well with. Remember though, that you shoot the way you practice. So if you don't wear your prescription specs at the range, real life may be a little dicey. If you wear your prescription specs, make sure you get shatter proof lenses, your optometrist can get them for you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear my contacts when I shoot.  I do get some halo effect with my EOTech using my contacts.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Sky blue colored toric contacts so I look good for the ladies at the range...

Gotta have some designer shootin glasses too. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear contacts, a bifocal in my left and distance only in my right. This is a new bifocal made in Canada. Works GREAT! No problems with scopes, red dots, or my EO-Tech. I wear Wiley-X safety shooting glasses over.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top