Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/20/2003 12:29:01 AM EDT
Anyone else have a tight magwell on their Oly? Some mags are so hard to get in and out, and others actually get stuck. And only one out of 4 mags actually drop when I hit the mag release.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:22:39 AM EDT
I have heard it quoted from Oly that their lowers are manufactured to minimum spec. That means tight. I have a SUM that works well with their mags, but any other aftermarket mags don't do so well. Any quality USGI mag in good condition should do fine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:28:37 AM EDT
It's been a long time since I've seen an OLY complaint thread! I almost thought they stopped building SHIT!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:53:51 AM EDT
He asked for help, not your asinine comments.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:57:33 AM EDT
50, Are you using USGI mags? If you are and they won't drop free then give Olympic a call. They'll fix the issue for you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:44:39 PM EDT
yes they are USGI mags as I bought them from a co-worker a long time ago. He had just come back from the national guard and had kept them as momentos and just didn't want them anymore. So I did him a favor and gave him $2 bucks per 30 rounder and $1 for the 20s. Aint I a nice guy.... The 20 rounders work fine and the the 30s are pretty tight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:08:59 PM EDT
I purchased 4 30 USGI's at the Putallup gun show a couple of months ago and one of them was tight in my Oly. After some inspection, A little deformation of the mag was discovered, corrected and it works fine. - Nw -
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:14:53 PM EDT
Military adjustment required. Take one hammer, size depends on the level of your limp wrist, and start banging. Works every time. What I did was take measurements of a good mag and compared then to those that wouldn't drop, and either banged the mag on a dense surface or tapped it with a hammer to get it within specs. The mags are out of spec, not the Oly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:43:20 PM EDT
I,ve tryed several types of mag,s in mineto no avail.I decided to just live with it.The last time i sent it back to them right after i got it i had to wait two month,s to get the thing back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:13:35 PM EDT
He asked for help, not your asinine comments. END Truth hurts. Oly sucks. PAT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:35:22 PM EDT
glockfan, you are a sad little man. I am sorry that you had so much trouble with you Oly rifle. I love mine, and they have GREAT customer service if you treat them like human beings with resect. [8D]
Originally Posted By Glockfan: He asked for help, not your asinine comments. END Truth hurts. Oly sucks. PAT
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:02:18 PM EDT
This is somewhat of a common complaint with Oly's. I knew about it when I bought mine and just hoped mine would be fine. Well, it wasnt. My magwell is also tight. It wont make all mags stick, but it will make some of mine stick. The same mags that stick in the Oly drop free from 3 Bushmasters and an Armalite?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:12:06 PM EDT
So do you guys think I should take some sand paper to the inside of the magwell? would that void my warranty. Probably would. Tried calling Oly once about it and they said that tight magwells were not a very common complaint and that I should send it back to them for review.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:08:56 PM EDT
Well, on my pre-ban Oly all GI mags drop free out of it. I was concerned about the same thing before I bought the lower. I've heard some guys take lapping compound and lap the inside of the magwell to free 'em up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:34:59 PM EDT
I had this same problem with a newly remanufactured Oly Arms lower. It shouldn't have left the factory like that, but it did. Oly's QC is hit or miss. Anyway, send it back to them with a brief letter explaining your problem, and they will open up the mag well to proper spec. & refinish it good as new.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:46:41 PM EDT
glockfan, you are a sad little man. I am sorry that you had so much trouble with you Oly rifle. I love mine, and they have GREAT customer service if you treat them like human beings with resect. END No their a sad little company. I did treat them with respect until about the 6th month of waiting. You obviously have not had to deal with the customer service on any serious issues. Your acting very ignorant. PAT
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:22:22 AM EDT
My SGW reciever (early Oly) works fine with all USGI mags. However my issued Thermold mags will not go in. So I just keep the Thermold mags in my LBE at work and GI mags at home. De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:04:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glockfan: He asked for help, not your asinine comments. END Truth hurts. Oly sucks. PAT
View Quote
The feeling I get here and on other posts is that you suck. Just because you had a bad experience does not mean you have to demean the purpose of the board, which is to help each other. I think I speak for others when I say to stop your crying and sniveling and grow up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:52:12 AM EDT
The feeling I get here and on other posts is that you suck. Just because you had a bad experience does not mean you have to demean the purpose of the board, which is to help each other. I think I speak for others when I say to stop your crying and sniveling and grow up. END The purpose of this board is to share information. Buyer beware is the most important information. We have some oly fans like you here that don't want to hear anything but a rose colored picture of their faviorate company. No one is crying and sniveling just simply relaying information about a dishonest company. So take your own advice and grow up. PAT
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:00:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glockfan: The feeling I get here and on other posts is that you suck. Just because you had a bad experience does not mean you have to demean the purpose of the board, which is to help each other. I think I speak for others when I say to stop your crying and sniveling and grow up. END The purpose of this board is to share information. Buyer beware is the most important information. We have some oly fans like you here that don't want to hear anything but a rose colored picture of their faviorate company. No one is crying and sniveling just simply relaying information about a dishonest company. So take your own advice and grow up. PAT
View Quote
Yeah, OLY Sucks, Armalite blows. Keep opening your mouth and showing your prejudices. Every time you launch one of these "OLY sucks" attacks your credibility diminishes. Pretty soon the only time you'll open your mouth is to rotate which foot you've got stuck in there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:06:12 AM EDT
1) Check your mags. It may be that some of the problem is them. 2) Open the lower part of the trigger guard. Some can interfere with the mags. 3) Compare your mag catch with other rifles, it might be protruding into the mag well too far. As others have said OLY machines their stuff to be on the "tighter" side of the tolerances. So if your's is a minimum tolerance mag. well with a thick layer of finish there may be a clearance issue. How many mags have been in/out of the well? It may be with time some of the finish will wear and open the well up enough to alleviate the problem. Or there could be a "high spot" of extra "gloppy" finish.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:33:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glockfan: The purpose of this board is to share information. Buyer beware is the most important information. We have some oly fans like you here that don't want to hear anything but a rose colored picture of their faviorate company. No one is crying and sniveling just simply relaying information about a dishonest company. So take your own advice and grow up. PAT
View Quote
Buyer information is fine. So are opinions. But a one-man crusade to discredit the manufacturer of a whole lot of satisfied customers is another thing. If you came across to Oly customer service like you do to the other members of this board, its a wonder you even got your weapon back, period. Oly isn't perfect and neither are all the others. They even overcame a devastating fire that burned their facilities to the ground and continued to provide customer service in the meantime. We all get your message: You don't like Oly. Leave it at that and quit trying to put the chip on all our shoulders that have had pleasant experiences with them, and are trying to help other like-minded individuals.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:53:39 AM EDT
I personally work in a customer support facility in a different industry, and I can tell you typically we'll bend over backwards for people who're cooperative and try what we suggest over the phone. Sometimes that doesn't work - sometimes people want what we just can't offer, like out of warranty freebies, etc - and even then we try to work with people. I can tell you that uncooperative, foul-mouthed, unprofessional ignorant customers do not recieve the same level of cooperation, generally speaking in a service and support environment as compared to individuals who seek assistance in a professional way. We always provide the level of service specifically indicated by our warranty and sales policies, but if you want more or you want quick turnaround you really should be at a minimum polite and understanding that the company just probably didn't sell you something with the intention of deliberately making you miserable. Sure, there's no law that says you have to be nice, or even civil. However, there is also no law preventing a company from refusing you service until you can speak with them in a cordial, non-insulting manner. You can go to a lawyer all you like, and if/when you do you'll be told (if your counsel has his/her stuff together) that if a company you are dealing with attempted in any way to resolve the issue within written policy in a professional way that you have no option but to deal with them their way. If you don't its the same as refusing service. I think most people know Glockfan here well enough to figure out for themselves which side of the fence he's on. I'm really not trying to be rude here, I honestly feel that a change of attitude towards people who you want things from will dramatically change your experiences from them on a service-related basis.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:06:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By javven: I personally work in a customer support facility in a different industry, and I can tell you typically we'll bend over backwards for people who're cooperative and try what we suggest over the phone. Sometimes that doesn't work - sometimes people want what we just can't offer, like out of warranty freebies, etc - and even then we try to work with people. I can tell you that uncooperative, foul-mouthed, unprofessional ignorant customers do not recieve the same level of cooperation, generally speaking in a service and support environment as compared to individuals who seek assistance in a professional way. We always provide the level of service specifically indicated by our warranty and sales policies, but if you want more or you want quick turnaround you really should be at a minimum polite and understanding that the company just probably didn't sell you something with the intention of deliberately making you miserable. Sure, there's no law that says you have to be nice, or even civil. However, there is also no law preventing a company from refusing you service until you can speak with them in a cordial, non-insulting manner. You can go to a lawyer all you like, and if/when you do you'll be told (if your counsel has his/her stuff together) that if a company you are dealing with attempted in any way to resolve the issue within written policy in a professional way that you have no option but to deal with them their way. If you don't its the same as refusing service. I think most people know Glockfan here well enough to figure out for themselves which side of the fence he's on. I'm really not trying to be rude here, I honestly feel that a change of attitude towards people who you want things from will dramatically change your experiences from them on a service-related basis.
View Quote
Ditto. And well said. Glockphan can rage on, I don't think anyone will listen...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:20:57 AM EDT
I am very pleased with my Oly, however I have problems seating and removing my one 30 round mag. No problems with the metal GI 20rd-ers, though. I solved my problem by smacking the 30 rounder in harder enough times that it wore down in the right places. That, and I rely on 20rd-ers more anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:51:01 AM EDT
There's another way to work with this. Don't fire the gun, but get some axle grease (the thick stuff, thicker is better) and some jewler's rouge. Note you'll end up breaking down your mag and weapon for a FULL CLEANING after this or risk a huge wear increase... Lube up your mag with a mix of jeweler's rouge and axle grease. Of course you don't have to do the whole thing, just the part that fits the well. Then sit there for like 15 minutes putting the mag in and pulling it out. Work it forward, back, left and right, always in a straight up and down motion in and out of the well. Try to maintain full contact on the mag well surface and the mag itself. Note you'll sacrifice a mag doing this, or at least wear it down quite a bit. Would I do this to my rifle? Heck, no. But my mags fit and drop fine. I've used rouge slicking up actions on some weapons I've owned and always have been happy with the results, but I spent a long time working on how much / little to apply. I bet your well isn't as tight as you think, and that the issue can either be fixed with a little rouge and a little time, or via adjustment on your mag release. Also, make sure you're not actually having a tension issue on your release catch.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 12:49:21 AM EDT by Glockfan]
People have to pay the piper. Yes I was polite when I spoke with on the phone during the first 6 months. When someone lies to you and after you have waited 6 months with no response they don't have a right to expect to be treated with kid gloves. And if a company does not honor its warranty it can be sued. Thats about what it finally came to with Oly when I finally did get my upper back. I am happy for the fans of oly arms here that have not been screwed. I am just point out the honest truth that this company has a history of making more lemons than others and having poor customer service. They will never get another cent from me. I will continue to discourage all others from buying them as well. The very fact this thread exist means Oly still has quality control issues. Sticking your head in the sand will not change the facts. PAT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:39:58 AM EDT
OK, let me put it another way. Your attitude and comments have resulted in your opinion meaning very little to most who hang here regularly, and this isn't personal - just an observation. Of course it's your right to say what you will, but be careful you don't go beyond expression into slander. Personally, I usually keep such comments in mind but if I've decided on what I want, that's what I'll have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:16:18 PM EDT
Slander would be lying about what happened and thats not the case here. I kept proof because I was about ready to sue them. PAT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:45:24 AM EDT
Glockfan, I think you're suffering a vitamin imbalance. A diet of nothing but salmon and griz meat will do that. You should get into town more often and buy a happy meal. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:00:40 AM EDT
Many mags have slight puckers between the seam welds. These are usually what grab in the mag wells, front and back, and not on just Oly lowers. You can dress the edge of the puckers lighly with a file, spray on fresh moly dry lube, and they will drop free from your Oly lower, and drop more smoothly from your other lowers, too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:37:48 AM EDT
How true is that?! It's like all this guy does is look for Oly threads just so he can bash them! Speaking of the "truth hurts", what about all of the guys who say Oly is great; that they love their Oly's; that their Oly is super accurate, etc, etc... My response to that, and to the Glockfan is this: Truth Hurts. Oly's Great!
Originally Posted By Phessor: glockfan, you are a sad little man. I am sorry that you had so much trouble with you Oly rifle. I love mine, and they have GREAT customer service if you treat them like human beings with resect. [8D]
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:36:25 PM EDT
Zenif Shalom Converted Bolt Gunner US Infantry Olympic Arms Apologist END I am glad you have not been screwed by Oly as I have been. Point is though if Oly were as good as you think, they would not need an apologist. PAT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:42:37 PM EDT
Sorry just missed ya on this one. I purchased a stock for a good price. I still Have the colt 4 position stock if your interested. PAT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 9:19:14 PM EDT by Phessor]
glockfan, I had a major problem with my Olympic Arms AR15. I had some bad ammo which split my bolt carrier in several places and wedged it into the upper receiver. I feel that it was a much more serious problem then the one you had with yours. As for Olympic Arms and my rifle, they replaced my bolt carrier, complete upper receiver and lower receiver. And it wasn't even their fault, the ammo company paid for the repairs. And Andy at Olympic was great to work with. He kept me informed as to everything that was going on between them and the ammo company. All together it took just over a month to get my rifle back. And it was worth the wait with all of the upgrades I had then do for me at a very reasonable price. I would highly recommend Olympic Arms for their product and their Customer service. Oh, and by the way. I have had no problems with tight mag wells. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:23:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By martinTN: He asked for help, not your asinine comments.
View Quote
is the word "asinine" in the Tennessee dictionary??
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:11:30 PM EDT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- glockfan, I had a major problem with my Olympic Arms AR15. I had some bad ammo which split my bolt carrier in several places and wedged it into the upper receiver. I feel that it was a much more serious problem then the one you had with yours. END I don't feel your problem was more serious. Your problem was caused by ammo not the gun. My problem was the gun itself had several problems. And unlike you the took 14 months to fix a problem they created. Thats why I am bitter and can't recommend their products for anything. PAT
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:45:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ar15sniper01:
Originally Posted By martinTN: He asked for help, not your asinine comments.
View Quote
is the word "asinine" in the Tennessee dictionary??
View Quote
Sure is. And also appears in my Webster's. Maybe you should take note, as it is defined as being "utterly stupid or silly, of or like an ass".
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:32:41 AM EDT
Glockfan, Seems as though we need a other trip to Websters Dictionary just for you. An apologist is not someone who runs around "apologizing" for problems or mistakes or mishaps on behalf of someone or something. An apologist as defined (again by Websters) is: "A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution." ...as in a Christian or Jewish apologist. One that defends their faith in something based on the facts given to them. I don't have to apologise for anything that Oly says or does. I am here to defend my faith in Olympic Arms products based on the facts given to me. Again, we are ALL sorry that you had a bad experience with Oly. Belive me, we are ALL VERY SORRY (because we have to read your story over and over and over and over...) about your experience. But, taking all that you have said as gospel truth, this is till not indicative of Olympic's quality or service. THAT is why I list myself as an Olympic apologist as defined above.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:05:56 AM EDT
I'd like to thank all the folks who actually tried to help the guy with the tight mag well. Everybody else should grow up and quit bashing Glockfan AND Oly. Glockfan had some problems with Oly.... other people love Oly....leave it at that.... I don't think it necessitates 50 replies. Just my opinion. Daniel
Top Top