Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2003 8:34:58 AM EDT
I was wondering  how many of you guys follow the manual and just oil your buffer tube, spring, and buffer or the wild ones that eliminate the sound with a little grease. I used some synthetic general purpose automotive grease. It seems to do really good. Eliminates all of the spring sound when firing or just cycling the action. So what do you prefer?

Edited to fix capitalization
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Tetra gun grease.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
How often do  you replace the grease?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Light coating of CLP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I only grease my tube when the wife "has a headache".
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#6]
FP-10 baby!

G23c
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How often do  you replace the grease?
View Quote

Every 500-1000 rounds and it turns from white to dark charcoal but it still works just fine as a lubricant at that point.  Its just so nasty looking I clean it because I dont like seeing the black sludge on the edges of the buffer.  I really wonder if I could ever fire enough rounds to cause it to gum upthe buffer... perhaps if it was in lots of dirt/sand and a few thousand rounds.  But if that were the case you could just wipe off all the grease in the buffer and be good to go again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Could someone please post some pics where to lube the tube to eliminate the sound?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I do not use grease as I do not wanna risk anything which may slow down or impede the cycling of the bolt carrier.

Concentrate on your marksmanship and you won't even notice the sound of the buffer spring.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
i get grease my tube on a regular basis, whether it needs or or not.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You cant get rid of it. you can only make it where it doesnt bother you so bad. On my gun some times it worse others, not. I dont use anything I guess it has some break free in it. Come to think of it, In 10 years I havent looked at the buffer since I originally installed it.
GG
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I got rid of it.  Never hear it.  Hear is waht I do...

Remove spring and buffer.  Coat buffer with a thin layer of Tetra Grease.  Squezing like toothpaste I put eight "lines" of lube down the spring equadistant.  Rub grease on spring to make it cover spring evenly.  Reinstall parts and wipe excess grease off buffer face.

I dont put any "In the tube" and when I clean the buffer and spring I put a long section of paper towel in the buffer tube and spin it till it crammed full and wont spin anymore then remove the nasty grease and put the freshly greased parts back in.  I never hear a sproing sound.... ever.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Only CLP per the -10 manual... The sound of the action spring is the sound of a healthy, happy AR, yet so many try and make the sound of the action cycling disappear... That's how it's designed to work.  If the sound of the action cycling is bothersome, the only sure fix is to trade off the AR for a nice, sedate, 'quiet' bolt action rifle... [;)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#14]
No lube needed if you know what yer doin'!  ;-)
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the others who say "No grease."

A light coat of whatever CLP/gun oil I'm using at the time once in a while. Usually, a long while.

The sound doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Only when the better-half is takin' her allergy meds, they tend to dry a person out.;>)
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't...she does. [whacko]

OTOH, no I don't grease any other tube.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top