Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 3:46:06 AM EDT
Had to clear my weapon several times during range firing yesterday, and although I never noticed this when in the reserves, each cartridge ejected from the less than year old Bushy XM15-E2S's chamber had a small dent right in the middle of the primer! If this is from the bolt ramming forward after loading a mag and pushing the bolt release button...is this a firing pin mark...and is this an accident waiting to happen?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:59:15 AM EDT
I have the exact same Bushy, and all my spent catridges have the same indent on the primer... Conclusion - Mark left by Firing Pin... How'd it get there??? I pulled the trigger... Accident waiting to happen??? Nah, I intentionally pulled the trigger... [sniper2] ___________________ [b][red]The 2nd Amendment - the original homeland security bill...[/red][/b] Together, [b][u] WE [/u][/b] can make a difference… [b][red] VOTE [/red][/b]…
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2003 4:13:37 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
As firing pin on ARs is free-floating this is as stated above from the firing pin. This is commonly asked question #2, and completely normal (most mil-spec ammo has hard primers) and nothing to worry about. For more info see [red][b]What's this Mark/Indention on my Primers[/b][/red] or something similar, here: [url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url] Mike Added: actually it's :[red][b]Q. I chambered a round in my AR and then unloaded it later. The primer has a small dent in it, apparently from the firing pin. Should I be worried about this? Won't that cause a slam-fire? Should I switch to a Titanium firing pin?[/b][/red]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:27:22 AM EDT
Funny, Cutter, funny... My fault, I forgot to explain, these were not spent but unfired cartridges that fired off without a hitch when I put them back in the mag, and locked and loaded. I am thinking that the bolt when rammed forward is advancing too far.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:33:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2003 4:34:50 AM EDT by Cutter75]
Thanks... I thought it was pretty good... It's always comforting to see that my twisted sense of humor is appreciated- LOL Read the link [b]Mr_Wilson[/b] posted... it answers your question directly. I'll have to run (dry cycle) a mag through my rifle and check it out myself, now that you've got my curiosity peaked... [sniper2]
Top Top