Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2003 9:20:10 PM EDT
Ive been thinking about getting one but I still have some questions.

I heard something about the parts being out of spec, clarification would help.

Are the barrels chromed? (I e-mailed colt but didnt get a reply)

Is the chamber 5.56 or .223?

Thats all thanx.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It's 5.56 & chromed.  As far as being out of spec, I'm not a Colt expert (I have a Bushy) but I seriously doubt they would be out of spec.  They are probably in the top 3 of AR manufacturers.  If you are talking full out mil spec. rifle, I'm not sure if any manufacturer makes "true" mil spec for civilian use.  I could be very wrong on this...anyone what to help me?  

You won't go wrong with a Colt or Bushy.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No I just meant the little stuff like pins and springs. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that the colt hammer pin wouldnt fit in my mega lower, yet the j&t and Olympic Arm hammer pin did
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Colts used to have the "large hole" lowers withthe oversize pivot pin, new er colts have oversize trigger group pins, many have the "block" in the reciever which was intended to prevent instalation of a full auto bolt carrier, but also prevents use of .22 conversion kits and some match triggers... then there are pre-ban rifles without bayo lugs.

suposedly some of the new civi barrels are not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump... Last question I promise.

So any people here own them? Do you like them? Will they shoot milsurp ammo well?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
  My Colt 6400c "M4" has the small takedown pins(no screwdriver required) and a chrome lined chamber and bore. It has the 5.56 markings on the barrel. It does have the sear block and the large Colt fire control parts pins.

So far I have used Winchester Q3131A, IMI m855 and m193, Santa Barbara SS109, Sellier & Bellot SS109, Federal Lake City m193, and lots of cheap Winchester Wal-Mart Ammo. Mostly I use the Winchester Q3131A (Academy Sports @ $3.99/20).

I am not to worried about the mil-spec parts, when my rifle reaches to 20,000 to 30,000 rounds I will call Colt if something breaks.

By the way, with my marginal shooting skills, it is very accurate. And with Kurt's Kustom A3 TacBrake looks pretty scary too.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a Colt. It is no more accurate or no better quality than Bushmaster or Armalite.

The Colt large pins are a pain in the ass. I'm still trying to find a RRA trigger for it but nobody has them in stock yet.
It's also my understanding that not all their barrels and chambers are chrome lined.

Are they worth the extra money? I don't think so.

My experience with Colt's repair service has been terrible.

Would I buy another Colt? Probably not unless I could get a real super deal on one. I'd probably go with another Bushmaster or Armalite instead and spend the money I save on ammo.

My two cents.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay I FINALLY GOT THROUGH TO COLT.
They do not have Chrome Lined barrels. Im not paying a premium for a gun with no chrome. Sorry Colt you just lost a potential customer... Thanks for all your help guys.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]Okay I FINALLY GOT THROUGH TO COLT.
They do not have Chrome Lined barrels.[/b]

Now I am a little confused, I thought the new Colt MT6400C M4 postban did have a chromelined barrel and chamber?

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The lady at Colt customer service told me that they havent made chrome barrels since 1997. You can call and give them your serial number to find out 1-800-962-COLT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]The lady at Colt customer service told me that they havent made chrome barrels since 1997.[/b]

That's interesting I guess she means for civilian sales because the military M4 carbine (and I would assume the LE ARs as well) are definitely chrome lined.  If you look under the specifications for the military M4 5.46 Carbine at Colt's web site it reads:

Hard Chrome Lined, 6 Lands & Groves, 1 Twist in 7 in. (178 mm), Right Hand
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I asked about the civvy ones since those are the only ones I can buy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Virtually all Colt civilian AR15-type rifles have *something* that is changed from M16 specs (besides the items legally required to be changed to make them semi-auto only).

Almost all pre-ban Colts use a larger, off-set pivot pin hole, requiring an adapter to made standard uppers to Colt (preban) lowers and vice versa.

Colt went back to the standard .250" pivot pin hole with the post-bans, though they still kept the two-headed screws instead of the military-spec push-pins that everyone else uses on most models.  But post-ban rifles have larger fire-control pins and parts, so that standard-size parts won't work.  Some aftermarket triggers are available with the larger pin sizes, but not all.

-Troy
View Quote

They didnt keep the 2 head screw, they simply used a push pin with a hole tapped in one side, with one screw.
GG
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They do not have Chrome Lined barrels. Im not paying a premium for a gun with no chrome. Sorry Colt you just lost a potential customer... Thanks for all your help guys.
View Quote

What's the big deal?  Are you planning on not cleaning your gun?  I think that if ask around on the firing line of any high power match, you'll find few chrome bores.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#17]
The bolt on the COLT has been emasculated too - it's not nearly as beefy as the BUSHMASTER. I'm not sure why - maybe to lighten it up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The bolt on the COLT has been emasculated too - it's not nearly as beefy as the BUSHMASTER. I'm not sure why - maybe to lighten it up.
View Quote

I believe it's to prevent the use of a bolt carrier converter.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#19]
As a follow up to this questions about Colt's ARs I called Colt and was told that the MT6400c uses the same barrel, except for the muzzle brake, as is used in their LE line of Carbines.  The Colt representative stated they are in fact the only civilian AR rifle that Colt sells with a chrome lined barrel and chamber.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I talked to the Colt reps when I bought my 6400c. I asked him about the .223 chamber. The rep said all Colts(non-LEO) and the barrels are .223 marked . I told him my 6400c barrel has the 5.56 markings and he really didn't know what to say. The chromed chamber is very obvious with a flashlight. You can see it right behind the locking lugs in the beginning of the chamber
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the big deal?  Are you planning on not cleaning your gun?  I think that if ask around on the firing line of any high power match, you'll find few chrome bores.
View Quote

The "big deal" is the ability to shoot dirty, cruddy Mil-Surp ammunition down the barrel and still have accuracy.  The "big deal" is not having to clean your stainless barrel after every twenty shots - minimum.  Now probably you're right about the high power guys on the line.  However, last year the FN Police Rifle, a bolt-gun, at that time retailing for $1000 out shot three $4000+ rifles and the FN had a chrome lined barrel.  Suddenly I understood I didn't understand all I had been told about chrome lined barrels and accuracy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top