Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2003 4:18:38 AM EDT
We know that when and if the AWB sunsets many companies will have new "pre-bans" to sell the next day. (Bushmaster, Armalite, etc.) They are so politically incorrect that it wouldn't matter what they do legally. The media will condemn them regardless!

How about the big boys?

Will Colt start selling "pre-bans" again?

Will Glock start selling high capacity magazines? How about S&W, Ruger, Sig, and the rest of them?

Bottom line, will these main stream companies be willing to take the heat for making and selling high capacity magazines and "assault weapons"?

Philip
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I can only effectively answer for Colt.  They aren't exactly in favor of civilian ownership.  They discontinued their civilian M4, becuase it wasn't Politically Correct and was the only major AR manufactuer to not support the frivilous law suit against Bushmaster.

As I result, I have decided not to support Colt, since they wont support us.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I was told by a Colt company rep that they currently only have the production capacity to meet the military contracts and small civilian business.  He said they would have to re-open a new plant to handle a large civilian production which they would consider doing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The folding stock and A-2 flashhider go on my M-4 immedately!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully SIG and HK will open plants on US soil and then start producing guns that are nailed by the 89 import ban.

I would simply love to see Sig550s and HK 93s being made on US soil.    Heck, even LEGIT HK G36 semiautos rather than Spechul Weapons still born conversions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
DallmannTodd, When did Colt dicontinue thier civilian M4 ?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I didnt know that colt didnt support bushmaster with the whole stupid lawsuit thing, well colt wont be getting my business because of that. colt should support any gun company that gets hit with that kind of stuff, not supporting the other gun companies filters down to colt not supporting us the little civilian guys in the long run. screw colt, my money going to bushmaster!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I sure hope it does fail...  I have my wishlist on the desk.  It seems to have grown over the last few months..  I will not hold my breath,  as anything can happen....

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Well even if the Federal AW Ban sunsets Connecticut enacted it's own ban on the following:
Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol
or

A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a
firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from
which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembed if those parts
are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

I would only be guessing but one would think that some other states would have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I didnt know that colt didnt support bushmaster with the whole stupid lawsuit thing, well colt wont be getting my business because of that. colt should support any gun company that gets hit with that kind of stuff, not supporting the other gun companies filters down to colt not supporting us the little civilian guys in the long run. screw colt, my money going to bushmaster!
View Quote

How would they "support" Bushmaster? I'm sure Colt doesn't want BM to be sued, but what is their responsibility?

Also, the M4 Commercial Model IS being produced still. Just saw a recent one locally.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll post this question here...

If it sets, does that mean I can put a Tele stock on my postban Bushy? Then could I get a threaded barrel and replace my current one? Or does this mean I'd have to buy a New Post Post-Ban rifle to get all the goodies?  What about silencers? Will they be ok to go???
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Expired means no longer in effect.  Rock and roll on your folding stocks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
IF the ban is not replaced, then yes you may put collapseable stock and flash hider on a post ban receiver.  Silencers (suppressors) are class 3 territory and unaffected by AWB.  So the answer is no you may not put a suppressor on a post (or pre) without the proper tax stamp and atf clearance.

HTH
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
When the ban expires,  it won't be long before the equivalent state bans will be challenged in courts.

Possibly,  some of these suits will be won by the plaintiffs.

If a Supreme Court ruling comes down that supports the individual rights theory (which is no theory but is simply correct), then those suits will all win.

Hope and pray.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked the question so here is my guess.

Of course Bushmaster and Armalite will make new models.

Colt will NOT make any model changes. My god, they only make a nine round magazine for their current model!

Glock, S&W, Sig, Beretta, etc. will not start selling/importing any new high capacity magazines. Starting in 2006 they will SLOWLY reitroduce the high cap mags to their part lists. Later the MAY add them to the new guns.

Just my guess.

Philip
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
ok nightowl, i dont mean colt should call bushmaster up and ask what they can do for bushmaster. but colt being a major government contractor(kiss the governments ass so they will not lose the contract) should a least support the frivilous law suit act and jump on board with the other firearms companies, thats what i meant in my first post. i bet if that stupid sniper guy would have used a colt, colt would have been on the bandwagon for sure.
colt is just kissing government ass since that is all colt has left anymore.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Silencers (suppressors) are class 3 territory and unaffected by AWB.  So the answer is no you may not put a suppressor on a post (or pre) without the proper tax stamp and atf clearance.
View Quote
But right now you can't put a suppressor on a post-ban even with the tax stamp, because it counts as a flash suppressor.  If/when the ban expires you'll be able to.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I figure all the AR makers will make carbines with collapsing stocks. (Including Colt) but I think you'll also see people wanting the little one's less when they can get them. :)

I think everyone will crank the mag's out. Except maybe Ruger.
Ruger has already said Mini-14 mags will still be 5 round only (as they were before the ban) 20 rounders will be intended LEO, even if you are able to get them. (as they were before the ban)

I think they'll have to do hi caps, just to be competetive. Glock won't sit still and watch Beretta put Hicaps with their guns.

(Also, Beretta does release guns with Hicaps occasionally, most likely military trade in's or something.)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt needs money. Civy M-4 = Money.
Just a thought.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top